PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to make cases for my levels.

Eric Wheeler
02-14-2012, 5:33 PM
Hey guys, I'm out of ideas. I cannot find a case for my levels. I guess part of the problem is my OCD, but I bought the new DeWalt levels and I don't want a case that has another brand written on it...Stanley is fine as they own DeWalt, but I can't find any of those around or online. So I am wondering if anyone has any clever ideas for making my own case for my levels.

Thanks,
Eric

John Coloccia
02-14-2012, 5:49 PM
I know it doesn't answer your question, but I've always felt like spending a second beautifying my tools is not time well spent. I'd stick them in anything I could find that fit. Maybe just some mailing tubes from Staples if I really felt like protecting them for some reason.

Eric Wheeler
02-14-2012, 6:16 PM
Well, I understand what you mean, but I am not beautifying them, I just don't want a Craftsman case for a Dewalt level, just weird like that...but a case that says nothing is fine. I like the mailing tube idea if they are sturdy enough, I'll have to go check them out. I just want something to protect the levels a bit if they are being tossed in the truck for a job...if they are floating around the shop it's fine, but I have careless people who will literally toss the levels in the truck and toss more stuff on top of them and end up breaking the vials. I had a nice set of Empire levels that are now JUNK for this very reason...so I want to take extra measures to help ensure that another $175 worth of levels don't get destroyed

Mike Cooper
02-14-2012, 6:19 PM
One of the people from our local woodworking group had this as an entry in our annual 2x4 contest. You might adapt something like it.

ray hampton
02-14-2012, 6:44 PM
If mailing tubes are not sturdy enough then use PVC pipe , glue a cap on one end, use stretch cords to hold the cap for the other end

Dave Storm
02-14-2012, 7:09 PM
Foam pipe insulation makes a good protective cover for a level, easily cut to fit, and the price is pretty easy on the budget!!

Dave

Eric Wheeler
02-14-2012, 10:14 PM
now we're thinkin'. I can get pvc and some track used for metal framing. Form the track to slightly larger than the level, stick it in the PVC and sprayfoam between PVC and track, then remove track if possible without destroying foam...or even stuff pipe insulation around the inside of PVC...thanks for the ideas guys, all I needed was a little push to get the mind working in the right direction.

Myk Rian
02-15-2012, 7:50 AM
Back when SMC was getting near the 1 million posts mark, I made that post. Prize was an awl and marking knife. I made a box for them.
Do the same for the level.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-15-2012, 7:57 AM
Gun case (carry type).

Of course you might get stopped a lot.:D

Craig Matheny
02-15-2012, 2:36 PM
now we're thinkin'. I can get pvc and some track used for metal framing. Form the track to slightly larger than the level, stick it in the PVC and sprayfoam between PVC and track, then remove track if possible without destroying foam...or even stuff pipe insulation around the inside of PVC...thanks for the ideas guys, all I needed was a little push to get the mind working in the right direction.
Put the metal in plastic wrap should prevent the metal from sticking or just get a 2 x ? cut a little larger then the level wrap it in plastic and go from there.