PDA

View Full Version : Outfeed table for Craftsman table saw

Heath Fitts
02-14-2012, 5:07 PM
This is my old Craftsman table saw:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb140/Heathicus/workshop%20build/2012-02-12171932-1.jpg

It has come time to build an outfeed table for it. I'd like for it to be attached to the table saw so I can move it as one unit in case I need to move it in front of the shop door for ripping long boards. I'd also like storage under it for storing a crosscut sled, other jigs, blades, etc. My idea is for one side to be connected to the saw somehow, and the other end to have legs with casters on them.

The challenging part is connecting it to the table saw and mating the table edges. The table on the saw extends several inches past the "box" under it. It also has a piece of angle iron on the front and back of the saw for the fence, but only to the right of the blade. The fence rolls over the piece of angle iron on the back and also tightens against it. There is no angle iron to the left of the blade.

There is a bar extending from the back of the saw. (This was where the splitter and blade guard mounted, but I removed it because it was a horrible design that was near impossible to keep aligned with the blade and fighting it seemed to make things more dangerous than not having it. Soon, I will make a ZCI and will incorporate a splitter. I have a healthy fear of the table saw, never stand in line with the blade or the workpiece going through it, always use featherboards, push sticks, push blocks, etc. and never get my hands close to the blade.) I'm thinking about just cutting that bar off to make room for the outfeed table.

There are some slots on the back of the table on the left side of the blade that I can use to attach the outfeed table. But the angle iron that the fence uses prevents me from attaching the tables on the right side unless I do something creative. I also want to replace that tin wing on the right side with a router table. I also need to do something for dust collection directly under the saw.

I'm just curious if anybody has already done something similar regarding an outfeed table for a similar saw and could share some ideas?

Lee Schierer
02-14-2012, 5:23 PM
I added an out feed table to my craftsman which is similar to yours; however, I had upgraded my fence to a Beismeyer which no longer required the angle on the back. I upgraded the fence because I got tired of the OEM fence not locking down parallel to the blade each time I moved it. I don't have any problems withe the Beismeyer fence. I made L shaped wood extensions that bolted into the holes in the side of the extensions and simply notched the one on the side where the angle at the back is located to support the extension. My extension does not fold down and I don't move my saw. I have my router built into the extension with a cabinet under it for dust collection and storage of router accessories and bits.

Gordon Davis
02-14-2012, 5:26 PM
To start with I shed the legs and design a base unit with built in dust chute,add some drawers ect..223735 hope this helps.

Heath Fitts
02-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Gordon, I really like that. Do you have any plans or can you explain how it was built? Did you use 2x4s for the face frame?

Gordon Davis
02-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Let me see if I have anything on paper,the top and bottom frame are 2x3 the sides also 2x3 with 3/4" ply.The top & bottom center lines up with base of saw and I notched the plywood sides in flush.I will post some pics later with more details.

Dan Rude
02-14-2012, 11:13 PM
I really like Gordon's saw cabinet too. I have the same style C-man and purchased the $32 hardware kit for Rocklers out feed table. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5719 It's easy to remove and put back on when I need it. i don't have any current pictures, but used a half sheet of MDF and some left over wood.

Dan

John Keane
02-27-2012, 7:42 PM
Shopnotes issue Vol 15 Issue 89 (published by Woodsmith) page 16 has what appears to be a nifty table saw workcenter, plans and all. It is similar to Gordon Davis's.

Joseph Tarantino
02-27-2012, 8:52 PM
regarding an outfeed table, check out htis thread from the ridgid forum:

i used this method to mount an outfeed table to my ridgid ts2412, which, like your c-man, is an emerson electric built 10" TS. this method of sandwiching a flat metal bar between each set of extension wings provides ridgid support for a short outfeed table to which a longer outfeed table can be mounted. if the pic in enlarged, look carefully where the wings of my 2412 attach to the CI table. you can just make out the shiny front edge of the flat metal pieces between the CI top and the wings to which the square metal tubing that supports the short outfeed table is mounted. this method works very well.