PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with this?

Greg Tatum
03-20-2005, 3:30 AM
I just picked up this Sorby fingernail bowl gouge after a friend gave me the small maple burl. I had been planning to mount it to the face plate that came with my Jet mini, but thanks to John Miliunas I'll use a Nova chuck, Thanks again John....well, I've never turned anything other than a pen or two so I was just wondering if y'all seasoned turners had any tips to get me started on a design that will not be too difficult. TIA

Greg

Jeff Sudmeier
03-20-2005, 7:41 AM
I would practice on something else first. I wouldn't want to ruin that maple burl on the first try! I haven't got around to turning bowls yet, but I would love to start. Good luck and let us know how it went!

Steve Inniss
03-20-2005, 8:14 AM
Greg,

That is nice wood.

It might be an idea to cut a couple of pieces of straight grained, clear wood - from the fire pile or whatever - into the approximate shape of those burls and do a few practice pieces.
-Steve

Jim Young
03-20-2005, 9:47 AM
One thing I figured out was that I could not mentally rotate a design and then cut it on the lathe. Draw out the bowl form on a sheet of paper and then tape it behind the lathe rotated by 90 deg.

Also that gouge looks a little small. Might take a little longer to make the bowl.

Harry Pye
03-20-2005, 1:31 PM
You might want to get a copy of Bill Grumbine's DVD on bowl turning. Bill walks you through the entire process from cutting up the wood to signing your name on the bottom. He shows you how to sharpen that swept back bowl gouge and how to present it effectively to the wood.

Bill is a member here so you should be able to send him an e-mail and find out how to order the DVD.

Raymond Overman
03-20-2005, 3:55 PM
If this is the first bowl you're going to be turning, I would suggest using another peice of wood to practice on as well. While I know you're itching to get that piece on the lathe, It's better to scrap a piece of clear firewood than the nice piece until you feel more comfortable.

Something else to think about is the size of that gouge. For a 6" or 8" bowl that small gouge is going to chatter if you get it extended off the tool rest by more than a couple of inches. This is going to leave you without the smooth cut and transitions in the bottom of your bowl that a larger gouge would afford you unless you're constantly repositioning your tool rest on your Jet and you have a really steady hand. I'm not saying that you aren't going to be able to do the job but a larger bowl gouge would probably do the hollowing better.

A video or a personal discussion with an experienced turner with your lathe available would work wonders for you.

Carole Valentine
03-20-2005, 7:27 PM
How are you going to rough it round and turn the tenon for the chuck? Woodworm screw in the chuck? I tried doing it between centers today cause I couldn't find my scews that I use with a faceplate...didn't work well. When roughing the blank to round, the center kept slipping even with the spurs all the way into the wood. Finally got off my behind and mounted it to a faceplate as I should have to begin with. Then I could rough the outside of the bowl and turn the tenon for the chuck. I have not tried my woodworm yet. Just doesn't seem like it would hold as well as a faceplate. Expect a good deal of vibration until you get the blank round if your Mini is not mounted on a really secure base. DAMHIKT! BTW, Bill G's video is great...I just need to do what he says do! LOL