PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat- Thompson Gouges

Rob Price
02-14-2012, 4:39 PM
EDIT: Better pics uploaded.

Thanks again to all those who chimed in on my recent newbie post. Here are the results:

1/2" V BG with a 16" Ipe Handle. 5/8 V BG with 18 " handle. My 3/8 BB gouge for comparison. Rubbed on a little teak oil I had left over from my Ipe adirondack chair. The 1/2 has a taper at the middle, I left the bigger one more of a cylinder. I have big hands and it just feels a bit better, esp given the size of the tool.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-tFysz-BC7QI/TzsKl1TdiII/AAAAAAAABoM/yiK1GV4PKNo/s800/IMG_1775.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-K4cCzhdClMM/TzsKkwjQfPI/AAAAAAAABoE/_2b9WjZiy3s/s640/IMG_1773.jpg

A few things I learned.
1) Ipe is hard.
2) Ipe is realy hard to drill.
3) Ipe is really really hard to drill with a 5/8 forstner bit.
4) Ipe is also very heavy. The balance point for both of them are just about halfway between tip and tail. I'm not sure that it matters, but all my other tools easily balance at the ferrule or tool.

I had played with the idea of some Ipe pens, but it's just not worth it. pretty wood but it would be very hard to drill straight and true and not burn up my DP in the process, not to mention replacing the bit afterwards.

I've roughed out one bowl with the 1/2 and the difference from my 3/8 BB gouge is embarrasing (for BB that is). I finished the 5/8 today. And the friction fit was just that. I don't think the 5/8 tool is ever coming out short of tearing up the handle. It needed a little more 'coaxing' in than the 1/2...

Thanks again for the help. Gotta run and clean up the house for the Mrs- valentines day and all. I have a stack of small walnut blanks ready for tomorrow (hopefully).

Bill White
02-14-2012, 4:44 PM
Got any other Ipe cut offs?
Tools look great. Keep us posted.
Bill
(Formerly lived in Alpharetta).

Jim Burr
02-14-2012, 5:12 PM
I'm not sure it matters either Rob, but you are gonna rock with those gouges!! I have a DT 5/8" bowl on the way...can't wait!!!

David E Keller
02-14-2012, 5:38 PM
Lovely handles! Congrats on the new goodies!

John Keeton
02-14-2012, 5:53 PM
You are in gouge heaven!! You will get good service out of both. I also have the 3/8"V, and find that I use it a lot for finish up work on small curves - comes in handy and I would recommend it. But, without an Ipe handle!!!!:D

Jon McElwain
02-14-2012, 6:30 PM
Those look sweet! Is it possible to have tool lust even when I already own those? Haha! Although your handles look better than mine, and Ipe sounds like a perfect wood for a handle. I like a heavier handle.

The hardest part for me buying Thompson gouges was overcoming my fear of wasting metal and just shaping them the suit my needs. I spent a long time turning with the "factory grind." It wasn't a bad grind, it just wasn't mine. Once I got over it and shaped them to suit my needs, they just got that much better.

Nice gloat!

Bill Hensley
02-14-2012, 7:02 PM
Man! If I didn't know better I swear those were my tools. My Thompson handles look very similar except I used Walnut. You'll enjoy them. I'm about to pull the trigger on another.

Bill Wyko
02-14-2012, 7:18 PM
I prefer the Glaser flute profile but you have done an excellent job there. Hopefully you can get some better pics for us to enjoy. Nice job.

Reed Gray
02-14-2012, 7:38 PM
One problem with drilling the Ipe might be that it has a lot of silica in it and it dulls the tools pretty quickly. Use slow speeds.

robo hippy

Roland Martin
02-14-2012, 8:21 PM
Very nice gloat, Rob. Money very well spent, IMO. I've only got Doug's 3/8"V so far, aiming for the 5/8"V next.

Rob Price
02-14-2012, 8:33 PM
I spent enough time on the handles, I figured it was worth it to update the original post with better pics. Thanks for the comments. Bill, I have a few pen sized drops if you're interested. I have enough 1.5" for one more 16" handle, trying to decide what tool it needs...

Dan Forman
02-15-2012, 3:42 AM
Nice job with the handles, you will enjoy the gouges.

Dan

Bill Neddow
02-15-2012, 5:41 AM
Beautiful handles. Every time you pick up these fantastic tools now, you are going to feel proud.

Russell Eaton
02-15-2012, 8:27 AM
I just got my 5/8" last week and love it. I got 1 of Doug's handles I like the lead shot in the handles. My wrist like it even more. Enjoy and be safe.

Bill Wyko
02-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Hi Russell, I thought the Thompson had steel shot. At least the one I have has steel shot. You might check into that and see if there has been a change.

Russell Eaton
02-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Bill you are probably right. Either way it sure helps with the rough-outs. Too many years of abuse to the body, every little bit helps.

Bill Wyko
02-15-2012, 2:47 PM
I agree, the balast handled tools really make a difference.