PDA

View Full Version : Black , Yellow and a Sea Blue rim dye job on 14" Maple.

Bob Bergstrom
02-14-2012, 3:23 PM
This was a hard maple with just a hint of fiddle in it. It was dyed black, power sanded back and followed with yellow dye. The color really went green. I mixed up some blue Transtint with just a touch of yellow added. Mixed it into lacquer and sprayed the rim with a airbrush. The color on the rim helped frame the bowl. Rim and foot beaded with gouge. Depth is about 5 1/2"

John Keeton
02-14-2012, 3:29 PM
Bob, you sure come up with some neat ideas!! As always, your beadwork and turning is top notch. I am not a big fan of green, but you did a nice job with this one. What I really like is the rim treatment!! I think I would prefer had it not been applied to the exterior - just start at the rim edge and fade on to the interior a bit like you have done.

Still - nice work!! No fiddleback maple left????

Bob Bergstrom
02-14-2012, 3:37 PM
John I always appreciate your comments. I don't always think of the artistic view of things and just kind of try things. I value the things you tell all of us and hopefully apply some as I go. If I keep throwing green at you I hope you will understand it will never be "money".

Ed Morgano
02-14-2012, 5:05 PM
Bob,
I do like green and have made several pieces in green. That is just a personal thing for people. My daughter-in-law loves red. All and all, this is a beautiful piece.

Jim Burr
02-14-2012, 5:09 PM
The whole fade control is amazing. I'm at odds with the coloring, but the ogee form, suspension of the color, and sheer effort...big pat on the back Bob!!!

Rob Price
02-14-2012, 9:28 PM
I like green and I like the color here. I agree with Jim, the form and detail are great.

Baxter Smith
02-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Nice shape to the bowl and l would like to someday try some of that fading Bob. I'm not especially fond of the color but it may just be that the wood isn't as spectacular as a lot of the other work you have been posting lately!

Bernie Weishapl
02-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Really nice bowl Bob. Not a big fan of the color combo although nicely done.