PDA

View Full Version : Valentines Day Rose Pen

Tim Rinehart
02-14-2012, 1:43 PM
My wife has been asking for another pen...she got my very first, and this seemed like a fitting occasion to give her another.
This is my first laser kit, and it was more challenging than I expected. They are very close tolerances and you have to really push some of the pieces into place, and the stem actually has to be broken to finagle into it's position...and that's per the instructions!
The guys at Woodcraft suggested I may be safer by sanding down to final size...but that just didn't float with my thinking it would be 'turned' so I just kept a good edge on the skew the whole way.
The kit is a Wall Street II Elegant, and finish is a couple coats of CA followed by Beall buff system.

Tom Winship
02-14-2012, 1:50 PM
Good job, Tim. And good idea for Valentines.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
02-14-2012, 2:35 PM
Nice job Tim! I've had the laser cut "American Flag" for over 2 years and have not yet tried it -- lots and lots of small parts! You've given me an incentive to take it out of the bag and give it a spin . . .

Steve Campbell
02-14-2012, 2:45 PM
Great job Tim. I made two of those a couple years ago. They are kind of fun. If I recall I used a skew on mine too. I can't guess how long it would take to just sand one to shape.

Steve

Doug W Swanson
02-14-2012, 2:46 PM
Nice pen, Tim!

I made a Fire Fighter pen a few months back and it was a challenge. Lots of little pieces. I used a sharp skew for most of it and then followed with sand paper and it worked great. Just make sure your tools are sharp!

Greg Just
02-14-2012, 5:28 PM
Love the pen - a really nice gift. I made the Woodturners pen last year and it was harder than I thought it would be. One piece was plastic and had to be heated with a match to get it to fit.

Bill Hensley
02-14-2012, 7:29 PM
You have done good! That is sure to be cherished.

Jim Burr
02-14-2012, 7:32 PM
Oh my!! Well done Tim! I second your "Ain't easy" and maybe third and fourth it!! Get a few more...when the slacker hubbies in the hood see what she's got, you'll be making a killing on gifts for next year!!

BILL DONAHUE
02-14-2012, 8:18 PM
Very nice! Looks particularly good against the background too.

John Terefenko
02-14-2012, 11:01 PM
That did come out very well. Yes they can be challenging but when done there is no other way other than a decal to get that look. I am sure it will be well received. Thanks for showing.

Baxter Smith
02-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Well doneTim! A "special" pen!

Kathy Marshall
02-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Nice job Tim! I'm sure you're wife will love it!