PDA

View Full Version : I'll give up my saw when you take it out of my cold 9 and a half fingers

Igor Petrenko
02-14-2012, 9:50 AM
Woodworking segment on Cobert show yesterday, starts from 5:50

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/mon-february-13-2012-bill-mckibben

Stephen Cherry
02-14-2012, 10:02 AM
These idiots have the blade on backwards. And they want everyone to listen to them?

Check 8:10

Also, the tone and behavior of the presenter is an example of why I do not have cable tv.

John Lanciani
02-14-2012, 10:36 AM
These idiots have the blade on backwards. And they want everyone to listen to them?

Check 8:10

Also, the tone and behavior of the presenter is an example of why I do not have cable tv.

Didn't look backwards to me, shot was from the right side of the saw. The blade turned counterclockwise when turned on but the teeth were going forwards. I'm not a huge Colbert fan but that was a funny bit.

Edit to add; just in case anyone is not familiar with the show, it is comedy, NOT a news show.

Stephen Cherry
02-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Didn't look backwards to me, shot was from the right side of the saw. The blade turned counterclockwise when turned on but the teeth were going forwards. I'm not a huge Colbert fan but that was a funny bit.

Edit to add; just in case anyone is not familiar with the show, it is comedy, NOT a news show.

Maybe it was an optical illusion, but it sure looks like it is turning backwards to me at 8:10.

Maybe this a good show, but it's just not for me. And they left out all the reliability problems with sawstop, and presented the sawstop guy as mr. goodguy.

Tom Walz
02-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Strob effect on the saw blades. You can see it also in old western movies where wagon wheels look like they are turning backwards.

Nothing wrong with a guy inventni something and wanting to make money. Done it myself. However, if he was really on a crusade why doesn't he let others use the technology free or really inexpensively. At app. $100 for the cartridge ($80 - $120) he is out to gouge people. Doesn't really fit my idea of a crusade.

Kent A Bathurst
02-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Irony meets reality: SawStop on the Comedy Channel.

This week's sign that the Apocalypse is upon us.

Neil Brooks
02-14-2012, 11:31 AM
I did a statistical analysis, for a Doctoral Dissertation that I'm currently working on.

In it, I have definitively PROVEN that everything that can be said on the SS subject ... has already been said.

G'Night, Gracie !

Jim Underwood
02-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Nothing wrong with a guy inventni something and wanting to make money. Done it myself. However, if he was really on a crusade why doesn't he let others use the technology free or really inexpensively. At app. $100 for the cartridge ($80 - $120) he is out to gouge people. Doesn't really fit my idea of a crusade.

Gouging? Really? Do you know for a fact how much it costs to manufacture the cartridge? If it costs $5 perhaps I'd agree with you...

Bob Wingard
02-14-2012, 12:02 PM
The last time we bought spare cartridges where I worked, they were $69.00, and the blade we used for demonstration was repaired for about $50.00. I don't know where you see cartridges for $120.00.

Just did a GOOGLE search ... standard cartridges are $50.00 - #69.00 and dado units are $89.00 from several suppliers.

frank shic
02-14-2012, 12:13 PM
please let's not start arguing over sawstop AGAIN ;)

Andrew Joiner
02-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Very funny video.

It's easy for me to laugh cause I have all 10 fingers. I've worked on lots of unguarded saws for 52 years. Got my first table saw at 8 years old. I'm very lucky I learned safe sawing practices at an early age.

The funny part is I'm not safety conscious enough to buy a Sawstop.

I've worn seat belts 30 years before they were required by law, but I'm not the only one on the road. If there was a chance of a drunk sawyer near me at my saw I'd be looking into a Sawstop.

The basic Sawstop idea is great for many situations. Humor is a great way to look at the legal debate.

Russ Ambrose
02-14-2012, 12:44 PM
wouldn't use a sawstop if you gave it to me because of their incessant lobbying efforts to try to get the federal gov't to force everybody to by their "technology," the benefit of which in my opinion is VASTLY overblown.