PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy bandsaw blades

Anthony Whitesell
02-14-2012, 8:42 AM
I'm in need of some new bandsaw blades. Though they feel sharp to the touch, they don't want to cut for anything. I'm looking for the name brand blades. I'm currently aware of Timberwolf, Woodslicer, and Lenox (Woodmaster). I know I can purchase them through Suffolk Machinery, Highland, and I don't know where to get the Woodmaster. I'm looking for what other blade brands are worth trying and what supplier you recommend for bandsaw blades?

Rod Sheridan
02-14-2012, 9:03 AM
Hi Anthony, I buy all my blades from a supplier who welds them to order. I buy blades from 1/4" 14 TPI to 1" 3 TPI in 131 1/2" lengths. They cost $16 to $21.

I suggest you look locally for a swa shop and order your blades from them......Rod.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2012, 9:11 AM
I exchanged emails with author Mark Duginske. After reading his latest book on bandsaws, I wanted his opinion. He recommended Olson bi-metal blades. He stated that though TimberWolf seemed to be initially sharper, the Olson bi-metal blades last as much as 6 times longer. I haven't worn one out yet but I don't do a lot of sawing or resawing. I can tell you that I did some resawing for a friend. I used the 3/4" Olson bi-metal on my MM-16 and was more than happy with the results.

Charles Wiggins
02-14-2012, 9:12 AM
I recently ordered Timber Wolf blades directly from Suffolk Machinery (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/) and I have been pleased so far. I ordered a 3/16" 10RK & 1/4" 8RK. I thought the pricing was good. I've only used the 3/16" blade thus far, maybe 20-25 times, but it has delivered clean accurate cuts in every time.

John Lanciani
02-14-2012, 9:17 AM
http://www.woodcraftbands.com/index.htm - Good honest people, great price and service. Lenox bimetal for me...

(Just a happy customer)

Jerome Hanby
02-14-2012, 9:23 AM
I'm not a major band sawing kind of guy, I buy Timber-wolf blades from Woodcraft. I'll be looking into a Wood Slicer or something similar when I get my Delta restored and the riser block installed.

glenn bradley
02-14-2012, 9:24 AM
I do a a non-production level of resawing and the Timberwolf 3/4" 2-3T last me about a year. The Woodslicer 1/2" cuts a little slower and thinner but, much cleaner so I use it when I am tight for spoil and want to squeak an extra part out of a piece of material. Bandsaw blades are wear parts but, for a cost of about 10 cents a day, I don't really sweat it. I will say that you should buy a back up of your most used blades. This prevents delays if you foul a blade ion mid-project; cheap insurance.

David Kumm
02-14-2012, 9:47 AM
www.industrialblades.com (http://www.industrialblades.com) or Woodworkertoolworks in Melrose, WI

Bill White
02-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Just don't buy "borg" blades.
I use Timberwolf.
Bill

Mark Burnette
02-14-2012, 10:29 AM
My saw seems to be really sensitive to vibration (Delta 14", 3/4HP, open stand) so it's hard to get good results when the table is moving. I'd always used jobber blades welded up locally but after trying some premium blades I found it was the weld that was causing my problems. I don't know if it's the weld thickness or tooth misalignment that's to blame, though. My saw seems to like the Olson All-Pro best but I admit I haven't tried them all. If you can hear the tick-tick-tick of the weld going through the guides then it's not a perfect weld.

Anthony Whitesell
02-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Ken,

Where do you order your blades? I have the G0513X2 with the 131 1/2" blades. I have some WW stores near but they only carry and stock blades of a few sizes. None to fit my Grizzly.

Anthony Whitesell
02-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Just don't buy "borg" blades.
I use Timberwolf.
Bill

I couldn't if I wanted to.

Joseph Tarantino
02-14-2012, 1:33 PM
when you want a really properly welded BS blade, iturra design is one of, if not the , best in the country. lou iturra is seriously old school and did more to improve the performance of my 18" jet BS than anyone else, includiung an authorized jet dealer. lennox blades from iturra. never heard a bad word about them. and my experience was after trying 4 new timberwolf blades that all had imperfect welds resulting in blade loping and increased saw vibration.

Anthony Whitesell
02-14-2012, 1:52 PM
Do we have any updated contact info? (preferabbly) Website or phone number? All the one's I found on the 'creek don't connect.

Peter Elliott
02-14-2012, 7:09 PM
Little secret I am letting out....

http://www.buyfromawoodworker.com/Diamond-Bandsaw-Blades_c10.htm

Made in NY

AWESOME!

You may have to look twice at the price! ;)

Espcecially if you turn and cut blanks... 3/8" does a great job or 1/2"

Matt Armstrong
02-14-2012, 7:57 PM
Many people love them but I have had 0 luck with timberwolfs. I got a couple of Sterling blades from Highland (their generic line is apparently Sterling) http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/general-purpose-bandsaw-blades.aspx

...and they are fantastic blades. Transformed my bandsaw into one of my favorite tools.

Peter Elliott
02-14-2012, 8:17 PM
Matt, does the box say Sterling. Nothing on Highland points to a Sterling blade. I get the .32 thickness which is just a bit heavier blade.

If it's a true Sterling Blade - are the best keep secret out there, which shouldn't be a secret at all. Just aren't many selling them.

Cyrus Brewster 7
02-14-2012, 8:41 PM
Little secret I am letting out....

http://www.buyfromawoodworker.com/Diamond-Bandsaw-Blades_c10.htm

Made in NY

AWESOME!

You may have to look twice at the price! ;)

Espcecially if you turn and cut blanks... 3/8" does a great job or 1/2"

Peter,

Do you have any experience with the 3/8"/3 TPI blade resawing 8"?

Thanks.

David Hawxhurst
02-14-2012, 9:14 PM
Do we have any updated contact info? (preferabbly) Website or phone number? All the one's I found on the 'creek don't connect.

ittura design (904) 642-2802

Peter Elliott
02-14-2012, 9:50 PM
Peter,

Do you have any experience with the 3/8"/3 TPI blade resawing 8"?

Thanks.

Yes I do.. on Tony D. bandsaw... we tested them out at our DAMP meet, I was super impressed.

By the way, if Hal Taylor says they are the best, they are! Not too many have as much time on the bandsaw as him. Well, maybe? they just don't have computers ;) and he his considered on a Maloof level with his chairs.

Seriously, it was stunned by the performance and I was using Lenox Diemaster2 blades. Which are great blades. But the one Hal Taylor sells is just as good if not better at 1/2 the price. When you buy from Hal, they shipped directly from Sterling in NY.

I specifically asked Hal about green wood and he responded back within hours. He highly suggest the 3/8 x .32 x 3TPI for everything big. That is his blade for cutting massive hardwoods. I bought 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and I would say 3/8 is better for bowls. 1/2" better for resaw. But I kept going back to the 3/8" like he said (I'm stubborn).

This was on a 19" Grizzly but he runs these blades on a 14" too..

Jim Andrew
02-14-2012, 10:30 PM
In an earlier life as a woodworking teacher, I remember a bandsaw blade with the name Sterling on it, was the only blade in the shop that didn't make that clacking sound when the weld went through the guides. Does that sound right?

Peter Elliott
02-15-2012, 9:46 AM
Jim, the company has been around since 1890.. Not sure when the Sterling name came into play but it appears for a very long time.

Andrew Joiner
02-15-2012, 3:24 PM
Anthony, I was ready to order some
KERFMasters from Spectrum supply.
KERFMasters are the same blade as the Highland woodslicer and Ittura bladerunner.

Then I called a"local" saw shop 2 hours away. I found Oregon Carbide Saw. They have good prices and same day service. A 3/8" blade for my 21"saw costs about $20 and they can resharpen it for $5! They use Sterling bandstock.

Funny this thread got into mentioning the Sterling brand.

Anthony Whitesell
02-15-2012, 3:56 PM
I came across Spectrum Supply when I was looking for Lenox blades. Have you had good luck with them?

Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone that sharpens bandsaw blades locally. I've been searching the web for local sharpeners as I've just completed my first jointer knife change. The change was easy enough, but finding someone to sharpen them makes me really regret not getting the carbide insert head.

If I'm reading your post correctly; the woodslicer, bladerunner, and kerfmaster are all Sterling blades just with a "house" name?

Peter Elliott
02-15-2012, 4:59 PM
If I'm reading your post correctly; the woodslicer, bladerunner, and kerfmaster are all Sterling blades just with a "house" name?

I really don't think so. Maybe the Highland blade

Andrew Joiner
02-15-2012, 5:38 PM
I came across Spectrum Supply when I was looking for Lenox blades. Have you had good luck with them?

I have not ordered from Spectrum Supply yet.

Atlanta Sharptech makes butcher blade stock. WoodSlicer (Highland), Blade Runner(Iturra), and Kerfmaster (Spectrum) all have the same specs as the Atlanta Sharptech butcher's blade. It's not the same as the Sterling carbon bands. Sterling may make a butcher blade and that will be something to check on.

Anthony Whitesell
02-15-2012, 6:37 PM
I extrapolated your reply too far. I was thinking that you found the three blades to be the same staock AND found a "local" supply of the same blade. Right on the first half, wrong on the second.

I called Highland, their general blade stock (not the woodslicer) is Diamond Blades.

Van Huskey
02-15-2012, 9:46 PM
I but most of my blades from Specturm Supply, they carry all the Lenox bands and have good prices. They also carry the Kerfmaster which is similar if not exactly the same bandstock as the Woodslicer just MUCH cheaper. They are impulse hardened spring steel blades "stolen" from the meat industry.

Anthony Whitesell
02-18-2012, 8:38 AM
www.industrialblades.com (http://www.industrialblades.com) or Woodworkertoolworks in Melrose, WI

The link is down. Do you have any other contact info?

Alan Schwabacher
02-18-2012, 10:35 AM
The link is down. Do you have any other contact info?

I'm not sure if this is the place he meant, but this link works:
http://www.industrialblade.net/

Bruce Wrenn
02-18-2012, 9:15 PM
Lennox Die-masters from Woodcraft bands for me.

Curt Harms
02-19-2012, 9:21 AM
Lennox Die-masters from Woodcraft bands for me.

What saw are you using them on? I've looked at Woodcraftband's 1/2" 3 T.P.I DieMasters. They're are .032 thick vs. Spectrum's .025 4 T.P.I. I'm wonder if a traditional 14" band saw can tension the .032" bands adequately. I sorta thought BiMetal bands require more tension to cut properly than carbon or silicon steel bands.