PDA

View Full Version : Barr chisels

Bob Marino
03-19-2005, 11:12 PM
In all the discussions on chisels, why is it that Barr chisels are almost never mentioned? They seem like very hight quality tools and have a price reflective of that. Just curious.

Bob

Mark Singer
03-20-2005, 1:11 AM
I think they are very good....I heard the size and balance is a little strange...., but that is personal.

Derek Cohen
03-20-2005, 1:36 AM
Bob

Probably because they are soooo expensive, at least 50% more than the LNs, which most average hobbiests consider to be already too expensive. I think that most recognise they the Barr chisels are likely to be superb (well that is what I hear from the few that buy them), but because so few use them, there are not enough voices that rave and talk them up.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brent Smith
03-20-2005, 7:39 AM
I don't own any of his chisels,but I do have 2 of his scorps.They are easy to bring to a razor edge and hold it for a long time. If his chisels are as good ,they must be a real treat to work with.Given the work involved in making them, I don't think that when compared with LN that they are over priced
Brent

Steven Wilson
03-20-2005, 6:38 PM
At that pricepoint I prefer the hand forging of Japaneese chisel makers like Tasai

Jim Murphy
03-20-2005, 9:13 PM
Have 'em. LOVE 'em.