PDA

View Full Version : Just a little Sissoo vase

Kathy Marshall
02-14-2012, 1:47 AM
Been busy with some other projects and needed a quick turning fix, so tonight I found a little blank of sissoo that needed to become something.
Went with a vase shape and turned it thin. It's 5" x 3 1/2" and the walls are 1/16". Thought about doing some piercing, but decided I like it as it is, so I'll leave it as is. Gave it a good soaking of BLO and took the pics before I wiped off the excess. I'll finish it up with several coats of WOP.

Oh, and here's one of the projects that's been keeping me busy. Been working on increasing the wood pile security force and this is the start :D. Don't look like much now, but it won't be long and whichever one I decide to keep will be 15lbs of wood guarding terror! They are Schipperkes (aka little black devils) born saturday morning, 3 girls, 2 boys ranging in size from 3.1 oz to 6.8 oz.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Jon McElwain
02-14-2012, 1:59 AM
I love woodturning because it is one of the few woodworking crafts that allows whole forms to be done in continuous curves! I love the curves on this one - especially the top. Almost seems too short in the stem when I look at the photos in the small format, however, when I look at the full sized images, it looks just right. Funny how that works!

So, the BLO does not turn the sisso yellow? I have a silver maple log I have been working through, but I have had to stay away from BLO because it turns it a really distinct yellow.

Dan Forman
02-14-2012, 3:46 AM
Lovely vase, and a whole bundle of joy!

Dan

John Keeton
02-14-2012, 6:03 AM
Very nice piece, Kathy! And, just another example of how lucky you are to have such a supply of Sissoo - beautiful wood!

I had to look up Schipperke to see what breed they were - interesting. I bet they work out fine for what you need.

Roger Chandler
02-14-2012, 6:23 AM
Gotta luv that Sissoo...........pretty wood and very nice vaaaahzzz...;).......kathy! I will be glad when I can get to turning the pieces you have sent to me..............I have been out of commission for the last 3 weeks............just plain sick, and with the anti-biotics on board and a little more time, maybe I can get back to the shop........

Looks like your dog food bill is just about to skyrocket!

Donny Lawson
02-14-2012, 6:46 AM
Great looking Sisso.,and it looks like your gonna be really busy when the pups start to explore on their own.

Bill Hensley
02-14-2012, 6:54 AM
I really like the wood and the form is ideal to show the character. Nice job.

I also had to look up the Schipperke, new to me.

Cory Norgart
02-14-2012, 7:05 AM
Nice looking vase Kathy,,, great form,,, wood pile security is a must.....

Russell Eaton
02-14-2012, 7:17 AM
That is a great looking vase Kathy, I agree with liking it the way it is. The heart/sap wood transition is very nice, the shape is spot on as well. As far as the pups go....I think the woodpile will be just fine.

Steve bellinger
02-14-2012, 7:33 AM
great looking vase for sure, and like the rest i just love that wood. great job lady.:)

Ken Glass
02-14-2012, 8:15 AM
Kathy,
The vase has really great proportions and shows the Sissoo off quite well. A very nice piece. You are not kidding about those Schipperkes being good guard dogs. As, I am sure you know, they are very loyal and inquisitive animals. Well done, MOM.

Michelle Rich
02-14-2012, 8:31 AM
the vase may be small, but it makes a big impression...take good care of the pups.

Tim Rinehart
02-14-2012, 8:42 AM
Very nice little vase indeed. Excellent shape to that one! Cute little pups, not familiar with the breed, but their nickname sure sounds like an energetic little thing! Enjoy the keeper!

Steve Busey
02-14-2012, 9:03 AM
It just amazes me how nature creates such lovely palettes in wood, and you've done it justice with a great form!

Doug W Swanson
02-14-2012, 9:24 AM
Beautiful vase! It doesn't need anything else!

Don't let Abby see those puppies. She'll be begging to bring one home!

Allan Ferguson
02-14-2012, 9:30 AM
Lovely, lovely, and more.

Doug Herzberg
02-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Kathy, that's a beautiful vase. Very nice shape and the wood is great. As much time as you spend at the lathe, you're going to have to make room in the shop for a set of dog beds so they don't get lonely (or ornery).

Scott Lux
02-14-2012, 10:02 AM
I had to go back and look at the size again. It looks much larger than 5 x 3 1/2. I suppose that speaks well to its proportions. Very nice indeed.

Scott Hackler
02-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Very nice form Kathy and even though it's turned from that stinky ole terrible Sissoo....I like it! :)

Bob Bergstrom
02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
That is some really interesting wood. Great job in displaying all the character it possesses. Thanks for sharing your many turnings and giving us insight into your creative ideas.

Sid Matheny
02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
First class as always Kathy!

Sid

Kathy Marshall
02-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Thanks everyone! I probably should have turned the stem a little thinner, but it was late and I just wanted to finish it.

I love woodturning because it is one of the few woodworking crafts that allows whole forms to be done in continuous curves! I love the curves on this one - especially the top. Almost seems too short in the stem when I look at the photos in the small format, however, when I look at the full sized images, it looks just right. Funny how that works!

So, the BLO does not turn the sisso yellow? I have a silver maple log I have been working through, but I have had to stay away from BLO because it turns it a really distinct yellow.
Thanks Jon, I haven't noticed the BLO turning the wood yellow, more that it brings out or accentuates any yellow that is in the wood. I pretty much end up with the same color the wood would be if it was just wet down with water. Most of the wood I turn has sapwood with a creamy or yellowish tint, so it just brings out that color. I've not tried it on a truly white wood.

Gotta luv that Sissoo...........pretty wood and very nice vaaaahzzz...;).......kathy! I will be glad when I can get to turning the pieces you have sent to me..............I have been out of commission for the last 3 weeks............just plain sick, and with the anti-biotics on board and a little more time, maybe I can get back to the shop........

Looks like your dog food bill is just about to skyrocket!
Thanks Roger, hope you get to feeling better soon and get back to turning. Look forward to seeing what you turn!
Lucky for me schipperkes don't eat much.

Kathy,
The vase has really great proportions and shows the Sissoo off quite well. A very nice piece. You are not kidding about those Schipperkes being good guard dogs. As, I am sure you know, they are very loyal and inquisitive animals. Well done, MOM.
Thanks Ken!
It's amazing how fearless they are considering their size, very loyal and independent and about the most nosey dog there is.

Beautiful vase! It doesn't need anything else!

Don't let Abby see those puppies. She'll be begging to bring one home!
Thanks Doug!
Just wait a few weeks and I'll post some "progress" pics. Schip pups are about as cute as they come.

Very nice form Kathy and even though it's turned from that stinky ole terrible Sissoo....I like it! :)
Thanks Scott, it's quite a sacrifice having to turn such a weed, but I have to do my part to make use of whatever garbage wood comes along :eek:.

Kathy, that's a beautiful vase. Very nice shape and the wood is great. As much time as you spend at the lathe, you're going to have to make room in the shop for a set of dog beds so they don't get lonely (or ornery).
Thanks Doug, I'm afraid they might eat my lathe, tools, wood and anything else (including the beds) if they spent much time in the shop. They're not the type to take a nice snooze in the shavings.

David E Keller
02-15-2012, 7:35 AM
Lovely turning!

Now that I've said that, I love the box of pups! My wife and I had a schipperke the first few years we were married... She(dog not wife) now resides with my MIL and two more of the 'little devils'. Betty(the dog) barked a lot at nothing, and after waking a sleeping baby one time too many, she was shipped out to Robyn's mom's. One of my buddies I college had a schipperke named Pete... Pete was one of the coolest dogs I've ever known! I hope my wife misses that photo of the box of puppies... That kind of thing could lead to me owning another dog!

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Beautiful piece Kathy. Wow that Sissoo is some beautiful wood.

Mike Cruz
02-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Kathy, keep a male. When he lifts his leg on the wood pile, cover the pile with leaves and it will be a really cool spalting starter. :D

Baxter Smith
02-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Very nice wood and form Kathy. Interesting puppies. I had never heard of that breed so had to look them up. Sounds like the would be good wood guarders!