PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up & other BS

Steve Busey
02-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Been clearing out some of the clutter in the shop - came up with three boxes of cutouts and scraps I'll never use, for the brother-in-law's wood stove. Also dug out my granddad's old Delta BS (bandsaw - what did you think I meant?) from behind a bunch of 2x4's; replaced a pulley that got broken in the move from my dad's shop, tweaked the guides and bearings and gave it a spin after 4 years of sitting. It was happy to flex it's muscles!

Also got access to the pile of sealed logs that have been accumulating from tree downings in our yard and some neighbors'. Lotsa oak, some maple and a couple bradford pear & cherry pieces. Next project is to cut those down to turning blank size. I've got my Jet 18" BS for the heavy lifting, plan to use the Delta with the smaller blade to turn tighter curves on bowl blanks. They need to clear out of the doorway area in case something big arrives for the shop...

Last pic is a walnut/maple inlay I did of my dad, the previous owner/user of the Delta BS, who made all this possible.

Bonus link: I was pointed to this great video about the physics of BS resawing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK9m5PadmiI) - worth your time - I know it was for me!

Jeff Fagen
02-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Nice old BS,I still use the Rockwell my dad bought for my 12th Birthday gift.

Jon McElwain
02-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Pretty much all of my machinery is new(er), but I keep thinking about adding an old bandsaw to the mix. That one would be a great old machine to tune up and have as a dedicated thin blade machine.

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you with all that wood!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Steve looks like a good looking BS and some nice looking wood that should keep ya busy a day or two.

Jim Burr
02-13-2012, 11:14 PM
That oughta keep you busy Steve...pretty tough ol' saw! So what's coming through the shop door?

Kyle Iwamoto
02-14-2012, 12:19 AM
I have 3 bandsaws....... I'm with keeping it as a thin blade too.

Roger Chandler
02-14-2012, 6:34 AM
Nice that you could get the old girl going again.............what are you making room for in your shop..........sounds like we have a stealth gloat there and something is coming ...............is it mustard color, mayo color or some other color [maybe even Grizzly Green? :D]

Russell Eaton
02-14-2012, 7:11 AM
Neat old saw. I got a real good idea about why you need more room...BUT I AIN'T TELLIN'. I will say it is WAY overdue. Call if you need help.

Steve Busey
02-14-2012, 8:58 AM
So what's coming through the shop door? .../... what are you making room for in your shop .../... I got a real good idea about why you need more room...BUT I AIN'T TELLIN'. Wow, you folks sure have lively imaginations. ;^} I'm just cleaning up my shop, yea, that's the ticket - cleaning the shop! You guys do that all the time, right? (OK, at least John K & Steve S do, or else they're real good with PhotoShop...)

Steve Busey
02-27-2012, 7:28 PM
A little before and after.

Goal was to clear a path in front of the door. How did I do?

Added a new shelf and padded box to contain my compressor - moves the compressor to the other end of the shop and drops the noise 4-5 dB. Now I don't jump out of my skin when it kicks off!

In clearing the pile I found a bunch of cherry I didn't know was there, and the two big stumps on the left are Bradford Pear a local tree guy brought me after dropping a red oak in my yard (tree guy must have brought the cherry too). Rest of the stash is maple and oak, mostly crotch pieces

If only I had a big enough lathe to handle these logs... <sigh> :(

225481 225480

Russell Eaton
02-28-2012, 7:00 AM
Bring that big stuff to my house. I am fixing to have a good spot to turn in. If you are nice I might even let you turn.

Steve Busey
02-28-2012, 7:39 AM
I'll put that on my calendar, Russell. The new cave is almost finished, right?