PDA

View Full Version : Planer upgrade?

Derek Voigt
02-13-2012, 9:29 PM
I have an older (5 years or so) Dewalt 12.5” lunch box planer. I was looking at the Jet 13” molder/planer – I was thinking that it was a 2HP motor. After looking more closely, the Jet is just a 1.5 HP motor. They both list the same depth of cut, so I would assume that they both have comparable motors, even though the dewalt doesn’t list HP, just 115V and 15amps.

So if they are the same power I will gain the following from going to the Jet:
1) Molder – obviously the Jet has the ability to cut molding, which is a nice potential.
2) Dust hold – my dewalt doesn’t have a dust collection hook up.
3) Larger machine – which is a pro. I’m able to tuck my dewalt under my bench, but I don’t have a good place to put it when in use. I typically end up using it on the floor since I might only be running a few boards at a time on it. So no need to drag it out, I can just roll it out from the corner with the built in mobile base.
4) No need to run a 220 line. While I’m set up to run a 220, I don’t have the plug installed… so I can still procrastinate on that.

My biggest concern is that I won’t take a big enough step up in machine and will want to upgrade to a 3HP unit.

Any thoughts?

Derek

Bruce Wrenn
02-13-2012, 10:19 PM
If memory serves me correct (and it may not) Jet has an induction motor, instead of screaming universal motor. My 15" Delta DC-380 has a 2.0 HP motor. Later units came with a 3.0 HP motor.