PDA

View Full Version : Better to leave as logs or go ahead and cut into blanks?

Rob Price
02-13-2012, 9:22 PM
I've got 3 walnut logs a friend gave me. Two have been outside for a while, the bark has fallen off and the sapwood is spalted. The other was fairly green. They are 8-12" in diameter and 2-3' long each. I waxed with paste wax (all I had at the time) and put them outside, under my deck, on some scrap decking. The ends are starting to check a good bit. I bought some sealer from CSU and applied it to the ends today. I plan on using them all for bowls/platters.

Would it make sense at this point to go ahead and cut them into blanks, wax the blanks, and have them ready to go? Or is it better to leave them as logs until I'm ready to turn. A lot of my 'shop time' these days is after a late shift (I get home between 12am and 2am) and if I don't have to fire up the loud tools, I can turn in my basement while the rest of the family sleeps, so I think it would be nice to have some blanks waiting on me when I get home.

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2012, 9:37 PM
Rob I cut all my wood up into blanks and anchorseal. I make sure I cut at least a 1/4" to 1/2" on either side of the pith to make sure it is out. I generally cut the blanks about 3" longer than the diameter of the log so if it does have some slight checking I can cut the ends off and get to good wood and still have a good blank.

Marty Eargle
02-13-2012, 9:39 PM
Cut them. You'll be rid of the pith and any extra wood. Plus it'll be much easier on drying and storage space.

As someone else who turns while my family sleeps, I can understand not sawing at night.

Jon McElwain
02-13-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm with the "cut them" crowd. I have had really good success drying blanks with anchorseal, and it is a real pain for me to move my wood around as it gets in the way. I am in a super dry climate, so I like to keep my wood in my shop away from the wind. Space is a premium, so I cut as soon as possible.

David E Keller
02-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Another vote for cutting them up. I'd rough them out as quickly as you can as well, but you've got some time if they're well sealed.

Dan Forman
02-14-2012, 3:52 AM
Once the ends start checking, you have to trim them back to solid wood before you seal, or they will keep right on cracking. I'd at least do as Bernie does, and make sure you trim all of the checking away and then some, as checks can continue beyond the point that you can see them.

Dan

Brian Ashton
02-14-2012, 5:31 AM
When I was living in Canada and found what may be considered a valuable piece of wood that was still wet I used to put it in the chest freezer. That way I could leave it for years until I found the right project. I didn't realise it at the time I was doing it but when I had to clear out the freezer and get ready for the move to australia I found most of the wood was bone dry. Basically it all got freezer burn and was well seasoned - not a crack to be seen anywhere and there were whole logs in there. Here in australia such freezers are a fortune and even more costly to run so I settle for putting small stuff in the fridges freezer until I have to make room for an even more valuable piece.

Dennis Ford
02-14-2012, 7:09 AM
I usually cut my wood into blanks pretty soon. This has more to do with making the pieces light enough to move than it does with anything else. I once got a walnut log that had been stored in a shed for at least four years, it had only minimum end checking and was still very wet inside. (it turned out to have a bunch of nails imbedded and could not be milled into boards). I would not be afraid of keeping walnut in log form.