PDA

View Full Version : Wipe On Poly Won't Dry - What's Wrong???

BILL DONAHUE
02-13-2012, 7:58 PM
Finishing a H/F with WOP and after 48 hours it's still tacky. It's in the house so humidity and temperature is not the problem. The only thing I did different is that I buffed it with tripoli and white diamond bbefore appying the WOP. Could that be the problem? Would putting it in front of a fan help?

Jerry Wright
02-13-2012, 8:09 PM
Old wop behaves this way. At least in one instance I used some that had been used for about a year. I replaced it and problem went away. Can't speak to the effects of your prefinishing actions.

Steve Vaughan
02-13-2012, 8:32 PM
I was gonna say old finish too. Maybe you could wash it will some mineral spirits and let that dry, then try a new can of finish.

David E Keller
02-13-2012, 8:35 PM
I'd go with old finish as well… Even if the can was new to you, it may have been sitting on the shelf somewhere for a while.

thomas prusak
02-13-2012, 8:43 PM
I've experienced the same issue recently and contributed it to the wood specie itself. Ended up need 3-4 days to finally dry. General Finishes brand wop and have since used the same wop on other projects with no trouble at all as far as drying is concerned. IMO its the wood or the buffing.

Rob Price
02-13-2012, 8:58 PM
I'm pretty sure the tripoli and white diamond are for the finish and not the wood, I'd wonder if it's not retarding the finish. Easy test would be to take some of the same can and wipe it on a piece of scrap and see if it dries. If it does it was the pre-finish buff, if it doesn't then it's old finish.

James Combs
02-13-2012, 9:07 PM
You didn't mention the wood species and species does have an impact on WOP drying time. Oily woods (at least African Black-wood) tend to prolong the drying time. The reason I know this is that I did a bunch a birdhouses over Christmas and finished them all with satin WOP. All the birdhouses dried overnight except one that I made out of African Black-wood. It was still tacky 4 days later. If you are using a none exotic wood I would get a new can of WOP and toss the other one.

David DeCristoforo
02-13-2012, 9:29 PM
Old WOP never dries. It just stays that way. Tacky that is....

Steve Busey
02-13-2012, 9:45 PM
I heard Jeff Jewitt say every finish he brings into the shop, he writes the date on the can, and throws it out after 6 months.

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2012, 11:36 PM
I do that with most my finishes. My granddad always told me to date the can and toss it in 8 months.

Marty Eargle
02-13-2012, 11:40 PM
I usually chunk a can of WOP when its 3/4 of the way empty. Regardless of age, I can usually tell by 3/4 of the way that the amount of air in the can starts to make the finish a little thicker and harder to use than I want. I know there are ways to fix this, but that would mean extra patience....which is just a ridiculous concept.

BILL DONAHUE
02-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks for all the comments. The wood is camphor and I'm not sure exactly how old the can is but it's probably over six months. I just tossed it. That's what I get for being a seasonal woodturner. I only turn in the winter months when I can't fish.

Tim Chase
02-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Bill:
You said that you ,(buffed it with tripoli and white diamond before appying the WOP) you in effect coated your hollow form with wax as thats what the two compounds are held together with in bar form, then its spread on the buffing wheel from heat / friction then to the piece being buffed. I don't know of any finishes that will stick and cure well to a wax coated surface. I would try the WOP on some bare wood and you'll have your answer overnight or sooner. Either way I would remove the original finish with mineral spirits and allow to dry. Then apply the WOP and allow to dry.
JMHO
Tim

BILL DONAHUE
02-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Bill:
You said that you ,(buffed it with tripoli and white diamond before appying the WOP) you in effect coated your hollow form with wax as thats what the two compounds are held together with in bar form, then its spread on the buffing wheel from heat / friction then to the piece being buffed. I don't know of any finishes that will stick and cure well to a wax coated surface. I would try the WOP on some bare wood and you'll have your answer overnight or sooner. Either way I would remove the original finish with mineral spirits and allow to dry. Then apply the WOP and allow to dry.
JMHO
Tim

Thanks Tim, Tomorrow I use mineral spirits and start anew. I really liked the way the camphor turned and the piece came out so well that I decided originally not to apply a finish and to just buff it. Afterwards, I had second thoughts and applied the WOP, a clear mistake. Tomorrow I'll straighten it out. I appreciate all of the comments.