PDA

View Full Version : Urn

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2012, 7:54 PM
We just got back from my wife's brothers services. I was called at the last minute because the family decided to have me turn a burial urn. There was no way to do it with green wood so decided to make a staved piece out of kiln dried 1 X walnut. They called me to ask on Sunday the 5th and the service was Saturday the 11th. So this one was quick but made with a lot of thought and love. It is walnut. The inside diameter is 7 1/4" and it is 8" tall. Probably could have went slightly smaller but didn't want to take a chance since we were driving 200 miles. Anyway it has a lacquer finish after being sanded to 600 grit and I burned a band on the top and bottom. The other problem I had is I had no wood that would take threads well and definitely the walnut wouldn't. So improvised and use pvc threads. Wish I had went with black abs now. I wish I would have had more time but they thought it was brilliant and all loved the piece.

charlie knighton
02-13-2012, 8:06 PM
well done.....

Fred Belknap
02-13-2012, 8:17 PM
Nice thing to do for your BIL, I'm sure the family appreciated it.

Harry Robinette
02-13-2012, 8:19 PM
Bernie
Sorry you had to do this, but it did come out very nice for the last minute. I'm sure the family will all love what you did for him.

Steve Campbell
02-13-2012, 8:28 PM
Bernie. First I am sorry for your loss. I can't think of a nicer place to spend eternity. Well done sir.

Steve

Steve Vaughan
02-13-2012, 8:29 PM
What a nice project and a beautiful making it. Looks really nice and I'm sure they're gonna love it! Well done!

dan carter
02-13-2012, 8:30 PM
Good job Bernie. Some products with the gloss work, some don't. This one does. You are right, the black abs would have less contrast. It seems to be potatoe - poetato when I make Urns whether to make them with threads. I make them both ways, it doesn't seem to me that it makes much difference to the client; it can be permanently glued either way.

Richard Allen
02-13-2012, 8:49 PM
Making urns for folks you love is such a roller coaster. After the urn is done and "occupied" I feel great that I was able to express how they impacted my life. While I am making the urn I am full of thoughts which break over me in waves. Such a strange thing we, as woodturners, are able to do for loved ones.

I am currently working on an urn for my BIL. I have always smiled and had a great time when I was able to spend time with him and I am sad that he will be leaving us.

John Keeton
02-13-2012, 9:01 PM
Nice work, Bernie, and I am glad the family thought enough of you to ask you to do this. It turned out quite nice.

Nate Davey
02-13-2012, 9:16 PM
Great work Bernie, an honor albeit a sad one.

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2012, 9:27 PM
Thanks to all. It was a honor now that it is done but like Richard said while turning it the emotions were just up and down. My favorite thought was fly fishing with him in the Colorado mountains especially the time he fell in the river because he hated losing a fish. What great times.

Dan I think from now on I will use ABS on dark wood and maybe the PVC on the lighter woods. I was concerned about it but both of my wife's brothers said it looked fine. It willed be closed and never opened again.

Dan Forman
02-13-2012, 9:43 PM
Bernie --- I think you did an excellent job, especially in view of the little time you had for it. I'm sure that as difficult as it may be at times while working on it, it must help with the grieving process in the long run.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2012, 9:48 PM
Thanks Dan. Yes it does help and the wife thought it was nice we could supply his final resting place for him.

Joe Meirhaeghe
02-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Sorry for your loss Bernie. Your family made a good choice in giving you the honor of making his final resting place. I'm glad you were able to complete with such short notice. You should be proud & honored.

Steve Busey
02-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Nothing I can add here that hasn't been said, Bernie - great job & great tribute.

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks Joe and Steve. It was a honor and I was proud to do it.

Doug W Swanson
02-13-2012, 10:52 PM
It looks great Bernie. Even for a short notice you did a nice job. I think the texturing really adds to it, too!

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks Doug.

Jon McElwain
02-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Riddle:

The man who makes it does not want it.
The man who wants it does not need it.
The man to needs it does not know it.

What is it? Usually I would say the answer is a coffin, but in this case, it is an urn!

As usual, well done Bernie!

Cheryl A. Prince
02-14-2012, 5:12 AM
Beautiful urn Bernie. I'm sorry for your families loss but I imagine the process of turning the urn was an emotional and hopefully healing one. Peace to you and your family.

Michelle Rich
02-14-2012, 8:36 AM
good job Bernie..once the lid is on, no one will see the white, but even if they did, it would be an ok color..I think for a speed job, you did very very good.

Rob Cunningham
02-14-2012, 1:29 PM
You did a wonderful job with such short notice. My condolences to you and your family for your loss.

Tim Rinehart
02-14-2012, 1:48 PM
Well done Bernie...very well done, especially in tight time slot. That's a clever thing to do with the pvc threads, will have to remember that.

Pete Jordan
02-14-2012, 2:00 PM
Very Thoughtful and a wonderful job!

steven carter
02-14-2012, 2:23 PM
Bernie, once again sorry about your BIL. Great job though on the urn, with the lid will on the white will not be seen. Looks like you work well under pressure.

Scott Hackler
02-14-2012, 2:40 PM
Sorry for your loss Bernie. The urn looks great and like its been said, you can't see the white when the lid is on.

Doug Herzberg
02-14-2012, 7:15 PM
Sorry about your BIL, Bernie. I can imagine how hard it was to stay focused while you worked on the urn. Nice job.

Roland Martin
02-14-2012, 7:51 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of your BIL's passing Bernie. You pulled through with a very well done urn in short order.

Tony De Masi
02-14-2012, 8:27 PM
Nice work there Bernie and don't beat yourself up about the pvc vs. abs. I think it's just fine the way it is.

Bob Bergstrom
02-14-2012, 8:37 PM
Bernie you made it look like it all planned out and executed with loving care. Great job. Sorry about your sister's loss.

Bernie Weishapl
02-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks again for the comments. We do appreciate it.

Baxter Smith
02-14-2012, 11:06 PM
My condolences to you and your family Bernie. A job well done that will be appreciated more than you may ever know.

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Thanks Baxter.

Jon McElwain
02-17-2012, 12:26 AM
Bernie, I owe you an apology. I had not read your post, just looked at the picture when I responded before with a bit of a joke. Had I read your post an realized that this was for a dear family member, I would not have been so insensitive with my response. Please accept my apologies and condolences. Your work on this will certainly be a family treasure.

Jon

JerHall
02-17-2012, 10:07 AM
I like it Bernie! Good going to come up with a design that met the time constraints and the material on hand. The inlaid rings make it special.

I have recently worked a smaller black fitting retaining a few threads with the idea to do an urn from green end grain, re-turning the opening when it is dry for the insert. Your work and form inspires and guides me to follow thru. I hope the black plastic material will polish up and look credible. Time will tell. I also mulled about setting a thin disc of contrasting wood to cover the end of the plastic at the opening and then turn it open with a chamfer for access to the threads by the lid. Any thoughts?

Jerry

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks again. Jon no offense taken. I understood what you meant.

Jerry I hadn't thought about putting a disc over the over the opening. That is a great idea. Will have to give that some thought. I had thought about putting a disc of cherry on the tenon of the lid to cover the threads a little more. My thoughts were to make the tenon that the threads are glued to a little shorter. The cut a disc with a short tenon on it and glue it onto the top of the tenon then trim it so the threads will work ok if that makes sense. Anyway with your idea and this on you wouldn't see so much of the threads. Thanks for the idea Jerry.