PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean up a pixelated jpeg image/logo for raster engraving?

Tim Earling
02-13-2012, 7:13 PM
I have a jpeg that is very pixelated and want to try and clean it up quickly - I use coreldraw x3. Just wondering if anyone knows any shortcuts on how to make the jpeg clean. I want to raster onto wood - it is a logo. Also, wondering if anyone knows of anybody I can send pixelated jpegs to to clean up and what the rate for something like that might be.
Thanks

Mike Null
02-13-2012, 7:23 PM
It depends on what the subject is. A complex jpeg with people and background is a much more difficult job than a simple logo.

You can post it if you like and let members help based on the type and quality that you have.

Ross Moshinsky
02-13-2012, 7:33 PM
If possible, you want to convert the jpeg into a vector image. Corel can do this. Inkscape is another program that handles this well. There are several services in Asia that will do it for $10 an image if Corel or Inkscape can't handle the job. Text is always difficult to trace. You're going to probably end up manually redoing the text.

Sometimes you don't want to vectorize an image but simply clean up the stray pixels. We typically clean them up in Photoshop but Corel's Photopaint will also do the job.

In the end, you'll find vectorizing artwork as much as possible is typically worth the effort.

Mark Sipes
02-13-2012, 7:45 PM
If the image is a company logo you may be able to goggle images for that logo and find a better (higher res) image to work with. If it is a Major Company logo you can go to "Brands of the world. com" or "logotypes.ru" and find the logo in vector format. Ditto on the post image for us to look at.

Tim Earling
02-13-2012, 7:51 PM
Attached is the logo - is very small. Thought it would be easy b/c it's straight black and white but when I zoom in, I see a ton of pixels in the white areas

Tim Earling
02-13-2012, 7:54 PM
Ross,
What companies in Asia can I find to do this for me? I have other artwork I need to covert - $10 seems like a good deal.
Thanks, Tim

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
02-13-2012, 9:16 PM

Sorry I dont know how to attach my CDR file to help you....

Regards,
Saravana kumar

Tim Earling
02-13-2012, 9:50 PM
Saravana
What did you do to the logo? I looked at it close on corel and it is cleaner, but lost a bit of resolution.

Ross Moshinsky
02-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Here is the logo. Just googled and found the highest resolution version and threw it in Inkscape. Took about 2 minutes.

As for companies, we use a company named Nittany. If you google "artwork cleanup" or "vector art conversion" you'll find a bunch of other companies who do this kind of work.

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
02-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Expanded a bit with more 600 dpi in Gray scale, converted to use in Corel trace

Regards,
Saravanakumar

Tim Earling
02-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Thanks Sarvana

Tim Earling
02-14-2012, 12:40 AM
Ross,
I am not familiar with Inkscape - is it pretty straight forward to bring bad logo/picture into inkscape and convert it to a good vector image? Also, can I accomplish something like this with my Coreldraw x3?
Will look up the artwork cleanup / vector art conversion companies.
Thanks for your help!

Dan Hintz
02-14-2012, 5:59 AM
I think InkScape is better than Corel when it comes to tracing images...