PDA

View Full Version : Another segmented pen

John Terefenko
02-13-2012, 4:06 PM
Here is the other segmented pen I was working on along with the black and white one. This is a Bloodwood and curly maple on a Roman Harvest kit with 8 coats of Med CA as a finish. As always any comments or questions are always welcomed and thanks for looking.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/CopyofIMGP0897.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/CopyofIMGP0899.jpg

Quinn McCarthy
02-13-2012, 4:54 PM
great looking pen again. Loved your last one too.

So what do you use to cut those small pieces safely? They look too small for my current segment cutting setup which is a miter box and disk sander.

Thanks

Quinn

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
02-13-2012, 5:00 PM
Those are great John. Agree that a tutorial, if you had the time or inclination, would be great!

Doug W Swanson
02-13-2012, 5:24 PM
Another beauty, John! Your pens are always finished so well!

Billy Tallant
02-13-2012, 6:50 PM
Another great looking pen. Finish is fantastic. Where do you find the Roman Harvest pen kit? I like that design. Thanks...

Jeff Nicol
02-13-2012, 7:43 PM
Very elegant and very well planned out design on the pen. It works very well with the pen kit that you chose to use, I have some pens to get turned to take to the gallery that I sell things at. This gives me some thoughts about doing a segmented one to add to the mix.

Great inspiration,

Jeff

Harvey Ghesser
02-13-2012, 7:49 PM
just beautiful!

jeff nist
02-13-2012, 7:50 PM
Very nice John!! Segmenting is excellent and I really like that kit too!!! That one, and the ebony one should bring in a pretty penny!

Jeff

James Combs
02-13-2012, 9:14 PM
Very nice John, I like this one better then the Black and White one.

Question - How do you keep the Blood/Black wood from "bleeding" into the maple. I have a lot of trouble keeping the dark sanding dust from contaminating/discoloring lighter woods on turnings like your pens(see my faux knives).

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2012, 9:38 PM
Beautiful pen John.

Jim Burr
02-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Excellent John! That Roman harvest is a beautiful kit...you did a great job of matching kit to blanks!

John Terefenko
02-13-2012, 11:03 PM
I wrote a few replys but I guess I forgot to hit send or they went off into cyberspace. So I will try again.

great looking pen again. Loved your last one too.

So what do you use to cut those small pieces safely? They look too small for my current segment cutting setup which is a miter box and disk sander.

Thanks

Quinn

Thanks for the kind words. I think I mentioned this in the other thread I shown with the holly and ebony pen, but I do not make these using the traditional way of cutting segments like on larger vessels. That would not be easy. I use my router to cut slots or grooves as you may and then slice the pieces off using my tablesaw.

Another great looking pen. Finish is fantastic. Where do you find the Roman Harvest pen kit? I like that design. Thanks...

Thanks. The Roman Harvest kit is available at Timberbits which is an Australian based company. I am not sure I can put a link here but if you google Timberbits and check out pen making you find this kit and other great kits. Dave is a great guy to deal with. His kits are made to his specs so he cuts the middleman out and passes the savings on to us penturners. The price may be a bit pricey but it is made up for in the selling price of the finished pen.

Very nice John, I like this one better then the Black and White one.

Question - How do you keep the Blood/Black wood from "bleeding" into the maple. I have a lot of trouble keeping the dark sanding dust from contaminating/discoloring lighter woods on turnings like your pens(see my faux knives).

Thank also for the kind words. The answer to your question is easy. I do not let sandpaper touch the pen balnk. I use my skew to give me a finish that is ready for top coating right off the lathe. The only time I use sandpaper is when I have to level off the layers of CA.

Thanks all for the kind words and alot of people have asked me to do a tutorial but to be frank there is not much to show especially if you make pens. You already know the steps in drilling the blanks and in nserting tubes and spinning to size and finishing of your choice. The thing that I do to get to that point is I use a router jig designed to be used on my lathe. I think I shown photos in the last segmented pe but if not just ask and I will show them again too. But basically I round my blank off and then cut slots or grooves into the blank using the router and my indexing wheel on the lathe. I then fill those slot with whatever material I want. Then I drill for tubes and then slice off whatever length I need to make up the design. I will show a photo of a blank that was made ready for slicing of the piece and you will see what I mean. It happens to be of the holly and ebony one but you get the picture. This should help unlock the mystery. Thanks all for looking.

PS do worry about the other two plain ones there they were for another pen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0842.jpg

Russell Eaton
02-14-2012, 7:29 AM
John I think I like this one better that the other. You did a fantastic job on both, I just like the color combo on this one. Thanks for showing.

Quinn McCarthy
02-14-2012, 1:56 PM
Thanks for the how to John. I really appreciate it.

Quinn