PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #71

Jim Rimmer
02-13-2012, 2:22 PM
I was walking through an antique store on Saturday with LOML and came across one booth that had some hand tools. He had a Stanley #71 router plane that i was looking very seriously at. I thought he had it marked at $29.50 and was going to offer $15 since it was missing the blade. But I walked away because the booth owner wasn't there. I went back later to look at it again and was going to take it up front and see if they could bargain when i noticed i had red the tag wrong and it was actually $295. I pulled out the IPhone and googled it and found several listed in the $125 range. The difference it what I found on the net and this one is that this one had an adjustable foot at the front that the ones on the web didn't have.

Question: Is this really worth $125+ ?

Floyd Mah
02-13-2012, 2:33 PM
They're common. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=stanley+71&_sacat=See-All-Categories. Lee Valley and others have them new for less that $295. A replacement blade is available on the Stanley web site somewhere. Must have been made of gold with a zinc plating.

Dan Carroll
02-13-2012, 3:25 PM
No, not even close. If it had all the pieces, all the plating and was in the orginal box, it might get $200.00. I paid less then $50.00 for mine which was complete, but pretty dirty.

David Posey
02-13-2012, 3:50 PM
Your price of $125 is about what you'd see from a reputable tool dealer with all the parts and the box there, although you regularly see them go for far less than that on the bay when not complete. The only reason I can think of that one would be priced that high (other than the sheer lunacy of the seller) is because it was an early type, which it clearly isn't since it has the depth stop. Even if it was a Type 1, it wouldn't be that old. They only started making them in 1884. I could be wrong, but I kind of get the feeling collectors aren't too interested in these. They're a great tool, but kinda ugly. Here's the type study if you're interested:

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/routers/stanley/stanley_71.html

Mark Dorman
02-13-2012, 7:36 PM
. A replacement blade is available on the Stanley web site somewhere. Must have been made of gold with a zinc plating.

Router and other parts here. http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/planes.html

Leigh Betsch
02-13-2012, 10:55 PM
I bought one with the blade for $10, didn't think I got that great of a deal. I use it quite a bit though, wouldn't be without one anymore.

Bill Rittner
02-14-2012, 5:52 AM
This plane is worth about $30 to $60 with the depth stop and all the rest of the parts. IOB and mint maybe $100 to $150 from a dealer.

Jerome Hanby
02-14-2012, 8:37 AM
I'm confused, or maybe I just lack the gene to appreciate an old tool just because it's old. But, in what way is a brand new Veritas Router plane for $139 not better than an old Stanley 71 for a dealer price of $150? I could see building one, not because it would be better (if I built it it wouldn't be) or cheaper (I've never built anything that turned out to be cheaper <g>) but because it would be cool to use something I built myself. I can also see buying an old tool because I can't get anything as "good" from the new market. Unless there is some sentimental reason, I just can't see paying good money for a Stanley router plane...

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-14-2012, 9:40 AM
There was one for sale at an antique shop from a dealer who usually knows his stuff, but was still more than I wanted to pay. Taking a look at it, it had been rejapanned, which made me look a little closer. The sole had had a piece snap off by the mouth, and was brazed together with some pretty lumpy copper brazing. Filed reasonably smooth on the bottom, but the sole was no so far from coplanar as to be silly. And they wanted 75 bucks for it. If I remember correctly, it was a model that should have been nickled, and not japanned, as well.

john brenton
02-14-2012, 9:44 AM
With the exception of a few guys that really know their stuff, most of antique dealers don't know the first thing about tools in general and certainly don't know anything about the details. They probably found the most expensive similar Stanley tool in their guidebooks or the internet and that's what they put on there. They do pad a little to compensate for haggling and store wide sales ...but in the antique malls the owner is hardly ever there and the sales are usually not even close to enough to make the tool worth buying.

It's sad. There are more than a few tools that I would really like to put to use, and I've been seeing them at the same stores for years and years. There's one in particular at the local swap meet that I always ask for a reduction in price on. I've been seeing it there for 4 years now. My offer is very reasonable...generous even...the guy just can't get through his head that the tool is not worth what he thinks it is.

David Posey
02-14-2012, 10:20 AM
It's not quite apples to apples, but I see your point. A fully outfitted (i.e. 1/2" spear point and straight blades and a straight 1/4" blade and a fence) Stanley will cost around $125-150 from a dealer, while the same attachments from LV with the plane will run about $175. However, the Veritas has a nicer adjustment mechanism, and buying all the accessories is just silly unless you know your going to use them. If I was going to spend that much, I'd buy the Veritas without hesitation. It'd be worth it for the ductile cast iron body the first time I dropped it. :) But if you are on a budget, you can get them for far less than that, or make your own for just a few bucks.

Jim Rimmer
02-14-2012, 1:51 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Makes me glad I passed on it. Oh, BTW, the dealer had also written "RARE" on the tag. I guess that's what made it worth so much. :D

Jerome Hanby
02-14-2012, 3:53 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Makes me glad I passed on it. Oh, BTW, the dealer had also written "RARE" on the tag. I guess that's what made it worth so much. :D

It is rare...that he sells one for $295! <g>

Bill White
02-14-2012, 4:22 PM
Maybe he'd wanna buy my #3 Stanley in great condition for about $500.00? If he wants my phone #..................
Bill

James Taglienti
02-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Heres one in boxfor 75 bucks on the bay

Item number: