PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
02-13-2012, 10:16 AM
13 Feb 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
Well, woke up this morning to ......s.n.o.w.....Yea, we don't get that white fluffy stuff very often and we sure do enjoy it when it does come. Some of my northern woodworking friends think I'm crazy when I say that we "like" the snow, but hey...it's still ok to like it. :)

Been searching for various electrical supplies in my shop to help Mark Cothren with the unpack, setup, install of his new DC system that he recently bought. What he doesn't realize is that he's stirring up the sleeping person in me that needs to get back in the shop and make stuff again. :)

Spent the entire weekend with the LOML as our 2 boys went to a youth camp weekend and we both got to spend some high quality time talking over life, things in our past that we needed to get off our minds, and help each other get over past hurts that we'd been carrying for many years from our childhood days. IMHO, it's an awesome thing to be able to love my wife just as she is and honor her & protect her as much as I can. Sometimes it takes years for some of us thick-headed folks to really get what a marriage relationship is supposed to be. Once we figure it out, it's the best thing we ever did.

Well, time for a fresh cup of hot coffee and get the boys up for their school lessons.
That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
02-13-2012, 10:53 AM
I worked at work several hours getting ready for a project's launch. In the shop, I finished up a second Festool Sysport clone for some new acquisitions, did some more rearranging/straightening/purging, and thoroughly vacuumed everything. LOML got me one of the Festool cleaning kits (hose and floor tools) for Christmas which sure makes vacuuming the shop a lot easier than ever before. The design of the floor attachment makes getting under stuff easy, allows me to easily vacuum the mats and does well on all the large areas too. About the only thing it doesn't do well is pick up stringy stuff like long plane shavings or the paper-thin cutoffs from trimming and edge or end square. I also made a short fence for my Unifence (for using with the miter gauge for repeated cuts,) decided that for a sacrificial fence my best bet is the Uni-T fence from Peachtree, and unpacked my daughter's lathe to start planning for a stand.

David Delo
02-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Valentine for Momma Bear, Daughter Bear and Grand-Daughter Bear223632223633

Von Bickley
02-13-2012, 11:05 AM
I had the shop set-up as a class room. We had a small CWP class in the shop and then some range qualification behind the shop. My wife and daughter expressed an interest in getting their CWP, so I set up a class with a certified instructor and put together a class for seven people. Everybody qualified and everything went well.

Dan Case LR
02-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Spent the weekend ALMOST completing my new bench--a 30x60 (more or less) slab of MDF 2 1/4" thick with maple skirts, a Jorgensen 10" quick-release vise, all sitting atop my favorite part: a Noden Adjust-A-Bench height-adjustable trestle set. I can hardly wait to start working WITH it instead of ON it!

D.

Jerome Hanby
02-13-2012, 1:58 PM
Bought and assembled one of those Oak workbenches from HF. Not too bad for $140. hasn't derailed my plans to finish building mine, but gives me a better working surface while I;m building mine and my Wife can take it over after that.

Doug Swanson
02-13-2012, 2:05 PM
I was able to work on my cherry office amoire. The frame and panel sides have been put together for about a month but they had to sit as other things took priority on my weekends. I did have a mishap with the glue up yesterday...I went through the normal steps of doing a dry run...made sure everything was square etc...the side panels were on edge on my workbench and held up by a clamping configuration...I had just applied glue to the first dado's when one of the panels when crashing to the floor...somehow one of the clamps had gotten loose...now there is a nice nick in a mullion and on some of the cherry plywood...I've got to come up with a better way to hold panels upright and square for assembly...I can salvage it but can't hide it...unless you guys know of a way to fix damaged plywood.

thanks
ds

John Towns
02-13-2012, 3:05 PM
Continued working on a entertainment center console which I am making out of cherry. Got the frames cut and routed, 2 of the 3 panels are done.

I needed to use my bandsaw to cut a curve on the bottom rails. That meant I had to install the new blade, which meant that I had to back the bandsaw out about 3 feet, which meant that I had to fix the caster that had been acting up. Well...fixed the caster, blew out all the sawdust in the saw, installed the blade, tuned it up and...wow, I should have done this a long time ago. I forgot what it was like to cut with a really sharp blade.

Then I started a project for the CubMaster at the church scout troop to make 4 Arrow of Light plaques.

Love the smell of fresh sawdust!

John

David Hostetler
02-13-2012, 4:45 PM
Spent some time in the shop cutting some simple boards for replacement shelving in the main bathroom. Towels were left wet on the original, which turned into mold that seems to be deep in the wood so I am replacing them... Not to mention painting with a MUCH better quality paint!

Spent way more time working on the car this weekend. Got it ready to go through, and put it through the annual safety / emmissions inspection. Passed with flying colors... Not bad for as old as this car is...