PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft bowl blanks

Jaromir Svoboda
02-13-2012, 10:04 AM
I bought some bowl blanks in local Woodcraft store other day.Are they green wood or are they dry?

Thank you.

Robert McGowen
02-13-2012, 10:29 AM
You could ask at the Woodcraft store or borrow a moisture meter. I am not really sure how anyone can give you an answer on this......

Scott Hackler
02-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Green and wet! (at lease all the blanks I have seen at WoodCraft)

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2012, 11:39 AM
I would consider them wet. Everything I have gotten from woodcraft has been wet.

Chip Sutherland
02-13-2012, 11:42 AM
When in doubt turn them like they are wet....you can always re-turn them.

Dan Hintz
02-13-2012, 12:25 PM
It can vary, but the majority of them are pretty green... once in a while you'll find something that's dry.

David E Keller
02-13-2012, 12:53 PM
In addition to being green, they were quite possibly over-priced... The two stores close to me are outrageously expensive.

John Keeton
02-13-2012, 1:05 PM
The two stores close to me are outrageously expensive.That certainly is usually the case with our local Woodcraft - though occasionally he does get in some local wood that is reasonably priced.

Jon McElwain
02-13-2012, 1:24 PM
In addition to being green, they were quite possibly over-priced... The two stores close to me are outrageously expensive.

I've never been able to bring myself to actually put out at Woodcraft prices, although I received a Woodcraft ebony bowl blank as a gift one time and it was very dry.

Scott Hackler
02-13-2012, 1:48 PM
I would agree that the prices are generally outrageous, BUT every once in a while they get a pallet of two of blanks and have some very reasonable clearance prices on them. The closest Woodcraft to me is 2 1/2 hours so it's been a while since I have been in one, but last time they had a ton of Redheart and some others that were very inexpensive. I found out the hard way that the wood was GREEN! I turned a lid for a vessel and had a 1/16" lip on it. Left the lid on overnight and the next day the lid was INSIDE the vessel!! :) Apparently it dried out and shrunk!

Alec Moseley
02-13-2012, 3:06 PM
Are the blanks waxed? If so that's a pretty clear indication that they're green. My impression is that all Woodcraft "blanks" are green or were when put up, whereas smaller dimensional planks from their lumber department are probably kiln dried.