PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Maple Burl Spikes

Edward Bartimmo
02-12-2012, 10:03 PM
I have several natural edged maple burls that include bark covering the burl spikes. I would like to keep some of the natural edge including the spikes. I have used picked as much of the bark covering the spikes as I can using picks, chisels, etc.

My problem / question is what is best technique for cleaning the burl spikes to get to the bare wood???

Thanks,
Edward

David E Keller
02-12-2012, 10:15 PM
I think a power washer is the preferred method for rapid removal before turning, but I've usually just picked it off before, during, and after turning.

John Keeton
02-13-2012, 7:00 AM
I turn a lot of BLM burls, and my experience is that most all of it will come off during turning - particularly with a relatively thin turning. Then, I use some old dentist tools to pick off what remains.

Edward Bartimmo
02-13-2012, 10:34 AM
THe power washer has some promise. I hate to introduce that much water to a stable, dry piece of wood. Has anyone bothered to use small sandblaster to etch out the bark inclusions on and between the burl spikes?

Beyond the my current turning challenge/perdicament...I have a 4' diameter burl slab that is 3" thick and predominantly natural edged. So 75% of circumference consists of burl spikes, which I have spent hours with dental picks , screwdrivers, and chisels cleaning the bark out. This will become a coffee table in the style of George Nakashima.

Tim Rinehart
02-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Kind of ironic about posting this ... I spent better part of an hour over the weekend doing that to a small piece I wanted to recut and prep for turning and not wanting to bring in any more critters than I have to that seem to love that layer under the bark. I think it would definitely be easiest to do when green and using powerwasher, but without getting too crazy and damaging wood.
I used a hardened scribe that doesn't give much but has a nice point to leverage several pieces out.
Tip: Wear gloves...geez them little spikes hurt.

Ted Calver
02-13-2012, 10:57 AM
I used the sandblaster on a small cremation urn that had a burl top. It cleaned it up nicely. The bark is usually softer than the wood, so it came off first.