PDA

View Full Version : Maple Siblings

Scott Lux
02-12-2012, 9:37 PM
Been working on bowls lately. I think I posted the first one a couple weeks ago, but I took some better (somewhat) pics of it and its new sibling. They're from the same piece of curly maple. I still have enough of it left for a few pens and several pendants.

Bowl 1 is 6 1/2" x 1 3/8". Bowl 2 is 5 1/2" x 1 3/8. Both have enough lift on the bottom to appear to float, but not in these pics :(

Critiques please.

Baxter Smith
02-12-2012, 9:53 PM
Very pretty wood on both Scott. I am not as fond of the outside shape on the second one with the straight side then a cove.(Its the cove I don't care for) Both appear very functional/stable with a wide base.

James Combs
02-12-2012, 9:55 PM
That is some fine figured maple Scott. Bowls are nice too!

David E Keller
02-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Gorgeous wood! I suppose I'm not a big fan of the wide bottom bowl form in general, but depending on the intended use, it may be quite appropriate… I tend to like a base diameter about a third the overall diameter of the piece, but that's just my preference. Whatever you used to finish these surely popped the grain… Fantastic!

John Keeton
02-13-2012, 7:24 AM
Scott, you sure lucked onto some beautiful wood!! Very nice. Like David, I do not care for wide based bowls, both for appearance and for what it forces one to do on the interior. With this form, you either will have very tapered side walls (like your first bowl) or you will end up with a very distinct transition in the bottom of the bowl vs. a nice fair curve (like your second bowl.) Eventually, you should consider finishing off the bottoms of your bowls to get rid of the chuck recess - it will provide a much more finished look. I nearly always use a glued on waste block for my turnings - gives me a lot more accessibility and allows me to use the entire thickness of the wood to create a base.

Just some thoughts! You did a very nice job with these, and if you can find some more of that maple - get all you can!!

Steve Schlumpf
02-13-2012, 7:48 AM
Scott - man, that is some amazing wood! Like David said - whatever you used as a finish sure worked wonders on that grain! I also agree with John's assessment of the basic bowl forms. Just something to consider the next time.

Sure are some pretty bowls!!

Michelle Rich
02-13-2012, 7:49 AM
golly that wood is splendid..you did a great sanding/finishing job

Scott Lux
02-13-2012, 10:48 AM
I forgot to post the finish. Sanded to 600, then 3-5 coats of tung oil. I let it cure for a week, then buffed with WWW Ultra Shine.

I know wide bottoms aren't popular here. I guess I favor utility over art. I like my bowls like my wife: beautiful, stable, and with a wide bottom. :D (she knows I wrote this, and approved this message)

I do appreciate the feedback. I will try a glueblock next time (after the one on the lathe now) and re-turning the bottom to get more of a finished look.

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Really nice bowls Scott and the wood is outstanding. I like the tung oil finish.

Dan Forman
02-13-2012, 1:02 PM
I like bowls in all shape and sizes. Sometimes a flat bottom is required to get the most out of the figure in the wood. These are gorgeous.

Dan