PDA

View Full Version : Brand New 1966 PM141 Bandsaw - questions

Bob Coleman
02-12-2012, 8:07 PM
Hi All,

I recently got myself a brand new 1966 powermatic 141 bandsaw! Looks to be in pretty good shape. Guy I got it from didn't know when the tires had last been replaced.

Questions for anyone who has worked on one before:

What parts, if any, are prone to failure that I should look to replace?
What tells me when I should replace the tires?
What are the two large bolt holes tapped into the casting to the left of the belt guard?
Suggestions on upgrades for bearings and the fence? I don't know if I want to shell out for carter parts . . .

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Van Huskey
02-12-2012, 8:48 PM
Hi All,

I recently got myself a brand new 1966 powermatic 141 bandsaw! Looks to be in pretty good shape. Guy I got it from didn't know when the tires had last been replaced.

Questions for anyone who has worked on one before:

What parts, if any, are prone to failure that I should look to replace?
What tells me when I should replace the tires?
What are the two large bolt holes tapped into the casting to the left of the belt guard?
Suggestions on upgrades for bearings and the fence? I don't know if I want to shell out for carter parts . . .

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

YOU SUCK! Great score, the PM 141 is one of my favorite 14" saws.

Nothing fails on these unless abused, as long as the wheel bearings are fine and the table trunnions are working correctly I wouldn't bother to replace anything.

Look at the tires for cracks or peeling. If they "look" good they usually are. Tires can be expensive BUT you can replace them with urathane if you feel like kluging with building a crown.

Not sure about the bolt holes, I am not home to look but my guess is they are used on the PM 143 for the gear case, I could be wrong, without looking it is just a guess.

As for guides the cheap way is just to replace the thrust bearings if they need it and replace the steel guides with an oily hardwood OR a oil soaked hardwood. This assumes you are going to use this is a general purpose saw, but if you are going to use it mainly to cut contours you may want to just get a Carter Stabilizer, they do make one for the 141. Fence depends on what you plan to do with it, it appears from the picture you have the original fence and rail, it can easily be sold for near enough to cover the new fence, but I would keep it. Plastic throat plates can be had from PS Wood, the metal ones are available but run 20+ bucks.

It is an excellent saw, you don't need to do much to make it a great saw and that one looks to be in excellent shape. It is the proper Vista green and appears to be pristine. Mind if I ask you how you found it and how much you paid?

Carroll Courtney
02-12-2012, 8:57 PM
Bob,congrads on your almost new bandsaw.In the pass I have owned acouple of 141,143,a delta,Rockwell, a delta/milwaukee,delta/crescent and I must say that the 141 is the best.The one piece frame design can tenison a blade without the frame flexing,the cast iron wheels will last forever.As for the tires,if you should see small cracks or the tires are not bonded well to the wheels then they need to be replace and tires crown.It being a 1966 and as good as it looks,I would say that it was use very little so I really don't think that the wheel bearings needs to be replace.On my 141 I had a Kreg fence and it work perfectly,but I replace it with an original powermatic fence that is hard to come by.As far as the motor,maybe its a 3/4hp Robbins&Meyers which will be enought to do resawing with a good 1/2 3 tooth sharp blade.Happy sawing----Carroll

Van Huskey
02-12-2012, 9:39 PM
.On my 141 I had a Kreg fence and it work perfectly,but I replace it with an original powermatic fence that is hard to come by.

Just how hard are they to come by.... :p

Carroll Courtney
02-13-2012, 6:48 AM
Very hard ,unless you know someone from the cajun state.I have been using it by the way,very sturdy----Carroll

Bob Coleman
02-13-2012, 7:19 PM
Its a little nicked up here and there, but I would say in great shape for 45ish years! It was on Craigslist here in Denver. First one of even close to comparable quality I've found since I started looking when I moved nearly three years ago, so I paid more than I would have back east - $500.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Van Huskey
02-13-2012, 9:21 PM
Its a little nicked up here and there, but I would say in great shape for 45ish years! It was on Craigslist here in Denver. First one of even close to comparable quality I've found since I started looking when I moved nearly three years ago, so I paid more than I would have back east - $500.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

That isn't a bad price at all, those 141s are getting REALLY pricey.

John Petsche
11-21-2012, 11:57 AM
what kind of mobile base setup is on that 141 bandsaw?

Bob Coleman
11-21-2012, 9:27 PM
The base is 4 individual casters with an acme threaded shaft through a sheet metal body as a mount. They are bolted through the sheet metal stand, one per corner.