PDA

View Full Version : First pen from my own "Casting"

Donny Lawson
02-12-2012, 5:29 PM
This is something I've been wanting to do for a while and I finally got the materials and this is the first of many I hope. I've never done any casting before but I think its going to be fun.It's Coffee beans casted in Red Poly Resin with about 15 coats of CA. C&C Welcome.

David DeCristoforo
02-12-2012, 5:35 PM
Pretty cool, Donny. But "coffee beans"? That's it? What kind of coffee beans??? Don't you realize that saying it made of "coffee beans" is like saying it's "made of wood"? No one would consider saying that. They always say what kind of wood it is and how they acquired it or how the tree smashed their car and they are hoping to get enough out of selling the turnings they get out of the tree to pay for a new car. It's all about the story. We want the story...

Steve Mellott
02-12-2012, 5:36 PM
Donny:

I think this looks great! Can you briefly describe the casting process? Did you use some sort of pressure pot to minimize the voids? What kind of resin did you use? Once again, good job. Thanks.

Steve

Harvey Ghesser
02-12-2012, 5:43 PM
Very nice, Donny! Thanks for sharing..

Jim Burr
02-12-2012, 5:51 PM
Nice work dude...those are a lot of fun and sell better than turned flowers!! Shop smell great too!

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2012, 6:02 PM
Donny - I think that's pretty cool looking but - just me - I would have preferred something that allowed me to see the beans more clearly. Nice colors though!

David E Keller
02-12-2012, 6:11 PM
Pretty cool, Donny. But "coffee beans"? That's it? What kind of coffee beans??? Don't you realize that saying it made of "coffee beans" is like saying it's "made of wood"? No one would consider saying that. They always say what kind of wood it is and how they acquired it or how the tree smashed their car and they are hoping to get enough out of selling the turnings they get out of the tree to pay for a new car. It's all about the story. We want the story...

They look like whole coffee beans!

Nicely done, Donny!

Jon McElwain
02-12-2012, 6:49 PM
They look like whole coffee beans!

Nicely done, Donny!

Whole beans? Hmm, I guess so, but I was going to say brown beans...

Donny Lawson
02-12-2012, 8:45 PM
Well OK, It was a bag of Hazelnut whole coffee beans from the grocery store. The reason I chose "Red" was because its my favorite color and I haven't seen a coffee blank in the store in red,plus I don't like the $15.00 price tag so making one myself makes good sense. My shop sure did smell good too. The process is simple as long as you have all the supplies. I've watched alot of the you-tube videos. Once the Poly Resin is mixed with the hardner, stir and simply pour it over the beans until it fills your mold. I then placed a small board over top of the mold to keep the beans from floating out of the mold. I placed the mold in a pressure pot from "Harbor Freight" and pressurized it to 40lbs and let it set overnight. I then took it out and squared it to 3/4" and cut it to size. I hope to make some (Fusion) or (Trashwood) blanks next week using small pieces of burl and poly resin. I hope it works.

Doug W Swanson
02-12-2012, 9:35 PM
Pretty cool to say you made your own casting. I've thought about getting into casting blanks but just haven't had the time. I think yours turned out great!

Baxter Smith
02-12-2012, 9:56 PM
Pretty neat Donny! I am sure the variety of things you could cast is only limited by your imagination!

Peter Fabricius
02-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Donny;
Nice blanks.... I have heard that Poly resin does not adhere well to wood. Do you have any insight or maybe experience now that you have made your own PR blanks?
thanks
Peter F.