PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade bandsaw- Laguna LT18

Carl Beckett
02-12-2012, 3:11 PM
Some time ago I had a pretty robust bandsaw, but in recent years have been getting by with one of the little 14 inchers. Its pretty regularly that I was wanting for something a little more substantial, so a while back I started perusing the CL ads and recently came upon this LT18. 'Used' - but the story was that the guy didnt even get his shop setup before the economy tanked and he took a different career path, so was selling off all his equipment. I do believe this saw has never seen wood (just looking at the surfaces, etc). It has set for a bit, but an attempt was made to protect the surfaces and it doesnt look too bad.

Its not a fire sale - I paid about what I would have for 'new' of a much lesser model (Im not gloating, just sharing the good spirits since Im jazzed to have this!).

I will say - its a smooth machine. I took a couple logs and sawed them into planks and that Baldor motor didnt even breath hard. The tensioning is smooth and I like the indicator with the table on how much to tension for each blade width.

A couple extra blades came with including a carbide tipped 1" blade (not sure the make - there is a model # in one of the pics if someone happens to recognize it). Of course, here are some obligatory pics:
223535223536223537223538223539223540:D

Nelson Howe
02-12-2012, 3:23 PM
Nice saw. Looks like a resawking, by Laguna, which is a very nice blade.

Nelson

Michael Peet
02-12-2012, 5:22 PM
Congrats on the saw. I hope to add something like that to my stable "someday".

Mike

richard poitras
02-12-2012, 7:05 PM
By the looks of the tags on the blades I would say they are from Laguna as well.

Carl Beckett
02-12-2012, 8:20 PM
Was able to play with this a little more this evening. I havent put on anything other than the stock blade - but I notice there are some sparks created by the blade guides. (where the back side of the blade runs against the thrust block.

Is this normal?

Van Huskey
02-12-2012, 8:51 PM
Ceramic guides often mean sparks, no biggie.

That is a Laguna Resaw King as best as I can tell, 98% sure.

Great saw, YOU SUCK!

Jay Rasmussen
02-12-2012, 9:25 PM
I've got the LT18 3000, the cheeper version of what you have. I really like it. Lots of power! No problem with a few sparks but should not be more than that.

Dave Beauchesne
02-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Was able to play with this a little more this evening. I havent put on anything other than the stock blade - but I notice there are some sparks created by the blade guides. (where the back side of the blade runs against the thrust block.

Is this normal?

Carl:

Go to http://www.lagunatools.com/ - get to the videos portion - there are several tutorials on how to set up the band saws.

I just got a 14 SUV; while not an 18'' Italian made Laguna, it is a sweet saw, to be sure. The sparks from the ceramic guides are normal - check out the
tutorials.

Well done -

Dave Beauchesne

Mike Wilkins
02-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Congrats on grabbing a fine bandsaw. I have its older brother, the LT18 with the 12" resaw and 150" blade length, but these are some find machines. And the Resaw King blade is nice too. Enjoy.

Mastruca e Cambales
02-13-2012, 5:18 PM
Some time ago I had a pretty robust bandsaw, but in recent years have been getting by with one of the little 14 inchers. Its pretty regularly that I was wanting for something a little more substantial, so a while back I started perusing the CL ads and recently came upon this LT18. 'Used' - but the story was that the guy didnt even get his shop setup before the economy tanked and he took a different career path, so was selling off all his equipment. I do believe this saw has never seen wood (just looking at the surfaces, etc). It has set for a bit, but an attempt was made to protect the surfaces and it doesnt look too bad.

Its not a fire sale - I paid about what I would have for 'new' of a much lesser model (Im not gloating, just sharing the good spirits since Im jazzed to have this!).

I will say - its a smooth machine. I took a couple logs and sawed them into planks and that Baldor motor didnt even breath hard. The tensioning is smooth and I like the indicator with the table on how much to tension for each blade width.

A couple extra blades came with including a carbide tipped 1" blade (not sure the make - there is a model # in one of the pics if someone happens to recognize it). Of course, here are some obligatory pics:
223535223536223537223538223539223540:D

how do you do, Carl.

Mastruca e Cambales
02-13-2012, 5:30 PM
how do you do, Carl.

how do you do, Carl. this is my first post in this forum. I' m from italy and i own a 16" bandsaw produced by ACM like your. I have a question: in one of the photo you have shown i see a carbide tipped bandsaw 0,6mm thick. Is correct? so please tell me where you found it because here in italy the minimum thickness is 0,9 mm and i cannot install in my bandsaw because is equipped with wheels too smoll for that thickness. thanks

Carl Beckett
02-13-2012, 5:37 PM
Welcome Mastruca!

I believe there are others here that can answer your question better than myself, so I will let them chime in.

If you do not get a good answer in a day or two - I would recommend you just start a new thread asking this question directly. My understanding is that this blade is manufactured by Laguna for distribution here in the US. As such - I believe there is a length available that will fit your 16" saw.

There are no doubt other brands that you can choose from - and I think if you do a search on this forum for 'resaw bandsaw blade' - or something similar, you will find a number of places that sell these compatible with your 16" saw.

Best of luck, and again - Welcome to the Creek!!

David Kumm
02-13-2012, 6:19 PM
Others can speak to the Resaw King but the Lenox Trimaster blade is .025 or.9mm in the 1/2" size. Goes to .035 at 3/4. The 1/2" is what I used on the LT 18 for resawing as the older model would not fully tension the .035 blade even with an upgraded spring. Dave

Mastruca e Cambales
02-14-2012, 8:24 AM
Welcome Mastruca!

I believe there are others here that can answer your question better than myself, so I will let them chime in.

If you do not get a good answer in a day or two - I would recommend you just start a new thread asking this question directly. My understanding is that this blade is manufactured by Laguna for distribution here in the US. As such - I believe there is a length available that will fit your 16" saw.

There are no doubt other brands that you can choose from - and I think if you do a search on this forum for 'resaw bandsaw blade' - or something similar, you will find a number of places that sell these compatible with your 16" saw.

Best of luck, and again - Welcome to the Creek!!

Dear Carl, the problem is the thickness, not the length. because the blades that are an inch wide are 0.9 mm thick and cannot fit wheels of the minimum diameter of 5000 mm. The only blade that is available here in italy thick 0,6 mm in 12 mm wide (1/2 inch)

David Kumm
02-14-2012, 8:29 AM
I don't think your saw will properly tension a 1" blade. The Minimax 16 is a really heavy duty saw made for that type of blade but the ACM isn't that strong- at least the ones we get over here. The 1/2" is the proper blade for that saw. The Lenox blades should be tensioned to about 25000 psi. Dave

Arnold E Schnitzer
02-14-2012, 8:50 AM
I have the same saw and I regularly run a 1" carbide-tipped blade with good results, resawing hardwoods up to 15" thick. I don't leave the blade on long-term, though, as I think it might put a strain on the framework. I generally run a 3/8 blade for all-around cutting.

Mike Wilkins
02-14-2012, 11:44 AM
I have used a Resaw King blade for the last 4 years or so in the 1" width, and have had no problems with tension or performance. My LT18 will take a blade up to 1 1/4", but I opt to use only blades in the 1" neighborhood. Most machines in this category will accept wide ( 1" or so) blades and tension them without complaint. I am not going to get into comparing different models, as I only have experience with a Delta 14" machine and my current LT.

Mastruca e Cambales
02-14-2012, 5:12 PM
I don't think your saw will properly tension a 1" blade. The Minimax 16 is a really heavy duty saw made for that type of blade but the ACM isn't that strong- at least the ones we get over here. The 1/2" is the proper blade for that saw. The Lenox blades should be tensioned to about 25000 psi. Dave
David, thank you for the answer. with my bandsaw I cut high thickness of very hard wood such as' olive and oak. My only fear is that the blade - too thick compared to the diameter of the flywheel - can break

David Kumm
02-14-2012, 6:11 PM
I think the Resaw King runs a little thinner blade and tensions more easily or at least operates with less tension than the Lenox Trimaster I have experience with. The steel in the Lenox used to be too brittle for a 16" wheel but they changed the formulation to be more forgiving of small saws. Whether the 16" is stout enough for the Lenox is still questionable depending on how the newer saws are constructed. My old LT18 with the 12" resaw would cut with a 1" Lenox but it wasn't ideal as they are made for higher tension but can give acceptable results at 15000 vs 25000. I thought the LT was pretty good until a got a stronger saw and found I could get a finish good enough to glue directly to the substrate without sanding- provided I didn't stop during the hand feeding. If you want to try a Lenox carbide go with the CT1.3 as it is much cheaper so you are out less if it does break. Also be sure not to bottom the spring out completely. That causes premature failure as does running the blade hard against the back bearing. Heat is a real enemy when using the Lenox blades. Dave