PDA

View Full Version : 1st segmented attempt

Fred Perreault
02-12-2012, 2:44 PM
...at least I would call it segmented. In any event, it confirms my belief that you guys that make complex segmented hollow forms are right up there with magicians, high tech gadgets and today's auto repair technicians.

I had a strip of mahogany and a similar strip of local red oak. I laminated them to a total thicknes of 1.75". Then I cut them into 8 segs and clamped them loosely with 2 large stainless hose clamps. I then serarately set each assembly on a thick piece of mahogany, and another on walnut, trapped the whole unit in top and bottom clamps, and tightened up the screws. After drying I turned a couple of yarn bowls. These are pretty popular items at the local, well stocked yarn shop. I have a standing order for all the yarn bowls I can turn out, and they have a display of several of my other items. Be aware... women are incessant shoppers... I have been doing well at this spot.

I'm not all that pleased with the joints, but these segs were 4.5" high and it doesn't take much to get a less than perfect joint. I hope to improve over time.

Jim Burr
02-12-2012, 4:45 PM
First...not fond of the bases...Second...you rock Fred!! Pretty cool for your first time out! Have have neither the time, tools or talent to think about trying this. Big pat on the back for even trying and another for doing a cool job!

Fred Perreault
02-12-2012, 5:17 PM
First...not fond of the bases...Second...you rock Fred!! Pretty cool for your first time out! Have have neither the time, tools or talent to think about trying this. Big pat on the back for even trying and another for doing a cool job!

The bases look queer, but the ladies want something substantial and heavy on the bottom to put the yarn in so that it won't get pulled all over the floor or table. Plus, that was all I had for my first experiment. Some of the segmented thingies I have seen, including geometric patterns and segments describing planes, trains and motorcars boggle my mind. Patience, imagination, talent....priceless

Steve Vaughan
02-12-2012, 5:33 PM
Fred, you've done a great job for a first time out. I'd imagine it gets a bit easier the more you do it. For me too, it boggles my little old mind how folks create incredible designs in their segmented work. I like yours, I like how the lines move in a very simple fashion as you go around it at the differences in the woods. What's your finished size of these? Height and diameter?

Allan Ferguson
02-12-2012, 6:17 PM
Good work and they will get better as you play with things like this.

Fred Perreault
02-12-2012, 6:23 PM
Fred, you've done a great job for a first time out. I'd imagine it gets a bit easier the more you do it. For me too, it boggles my little old mind how folks create incredible designs in their segmented work. I like yours, I like how the lines move in a very simple fashion as you go around it at the differences in the woods. What's your finished size of these? Height and diameter?

The sizes are indicated in one of each pic. I hope to take some of my odds and ends and make some rings to stack up for different looks. I don't use hard or glossy finishes very often, just various oils with a mix of poly occasionally. I'm kind of a utility (lazy..? easy..?) turner, and I sell many pieces (190-210) a year to pave my road through the vortex. Building segment rings is a huge time sink....

Michelle Rich
02-12-2012, 6:25 PM
good firsts Fred! I understand the wide bases..keeps the bowls upright when a person pulls the yarn. Keep at it Fred, with practice it gets easier!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
02-12-2012, 6:48 PM
Hey Fred! Really cool! I'm not one to be fond of plainsawn oak -- don't particularly find the grain that attractive; however, the way you put this together, I really like it! Everyone has their own opinion and each different.

An old WW mentor of mine says it this way: "Don't worry about your design, there is a A&% for every seat!" You done good.

I'd love to try a segmented and hope to before too long. Don't beat yourself up about the joints -- I actually find them quite pleasing. I'm sure whomever receives this bowl is going to have many happy moments with it.

Keep it up!

Baxter Smith
02-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Looks good from here Fred! It looks more complicated than what I would want to tackle.;):)

Mike Cruz
02-13-2012, 6:22 AM
Cool pattern. I, too, think the bases look odd, but they are certainly functional...which many times trumps "looks". If it toppled over, it wouldn't "work". Great job!

John Keeton
02-13-2012, 9:47 AM
Fred, I applaud your efforts at segmenting - I just don't think I have the fortitude for it! Quite an interesting result! I agree the base is a bit overwhelming, but I kind of like the segmentation pattern.

Bill Wyko
02-13-2012, 1:23 PM
Well done Fred. Do you feel the tug of the Vortex yet? That's a much nicer piece than my first. welcome to the wonderful world of segmenting.