PDA

View Full Version : Barracuda 4 chuck in revers

Jaromir Svoboda
02-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Can I use it in revers?It does not have set screw like face plate does.

Thank you.

Nathan Hawkes
02-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I would be very careful using any chuck without a set screw in reverse. First off, what size piece are you talking about, and is it a bowl, box, hollow form, etc?? If you have the tailstock against the workpiece, there shouldn't be a huge problem, provided you have supporting wood around the tailstock point, but if you're sanding a bowl, do so ONLY at a very slow speed, and without a lot of pressure against the surface. I'd also make sure that the tool rest is sufficiently out of the way, so that just in case it loosens, you might be able to catch it.

I personally have used my Stronghold chucks in reverse when sanding small boxes, but the chucks thread very tightly against the spindle when rough turning, and very little pressure is exerted against the spinning piece with the sandpaper. I have absolutely had a piece back up and come off, and it scared the poop out of me. I am lucky it didn't fly up and hit me. Any reverse without a setscrew is really at your own risk.

Steve Campbell
02-12-2012, 1:33 PM
If your chuck uses a threaded adapter I just drill and tap it for a grub screw.

Steve

Jim Burr
02-12-2012, 1:38 PM
There is a spot on mine for a set screw...I use an adapter since it's on my 1642 most of the time.

Michelle Rich
02-12-2012, 2:03 PM
I would fear it will unthread itself. If I had to do it, I would tape the heck out of it..heavy duty duct tape & lots of it

Jaromir Svoboda
02-12-2012, 3:03 PM
If I use an adapter I should tap chuck and adapter, right?

Jim Burr
02-12-2012, 4:46 PM
If I use an adapter I should tap chuck and adapter, right?

Sure...since the adaptor is what is in contact with the output threads (correct name just flew south outa my head).

Curt Fuller
02-12-2012, 7:30 PM
On my Barracuda there are no locking screws that hold the adapter in the chuck. Maybe you could use a little 'locktite' on the threads where the adaptor screws into the chuck. But for where the adapter screws on to the lathe spindle I think you would want to drill and tap it for a set screw. Either that or use it in reverse only with the tailstock up against the work to keep it from unscrewing and taking off across the shop.

John Keeton
02-13-2012, 6:58 AM
This is one of those "do as I say, not as I do" situations.

There have been other threads on the topic of using the lock screw when sanding in reverse, and overwhelmingly, folks do not use the set screw. Not to say all, but most.

I never use a set screw, as I change chucks very frequently, and I use all of them in reverse to sand. But, I do it at slow speed, and using relatively light pressure. Spin the chuck on with a little force so it seats well. I would never attempt to turn in reverse without a set screw.

That said, safety comes first and you should always use the set screw!!!;)

Roger Chandler
02-13-2012, 7:41 AM
I always use the set screw........of course low speed helps, but after having two larger pieces of wood hit me one in the chest [a log that broke the tenon about 2 years ago, [almost took my breath] and recently another which hit me square in the face shield, then I would hate to think what a chuck coming off could do...........

I am with Curt........drill the adapter and put a set screw in............easy to do, and you can get the screws at the local hardware store.

Steve Busey
02-13-2012, 8:41 AM
This thing about drilling the adaptor to use a set screw - wouldn't the set screw damage the spindle threads?