PDA

View Full Version : Clicking in PM 3520b

Josh Bowman
02-12-2012, 10:22 AM
My PM 3520b is making a clicking sound that seems to be coming from the motor. It's being very hard to isolate, since the cast and steel really seem to carry the noise all over. Here's what I do know: It begins if you put slight tension on the belt. It happens at the same time on the motor shaft, exactly once per revolution.
I have used a hose and stick to try and locate the noise, and it seems very slightly more prominent on the end of the end of the motor. However this are is also more accessible than any other location.
Has anyone ran into this?

Nathan Hawkes
02-12-2012, 10:35 AM
My PM 3520b is making a clicking sound that seems to be coming from the motor. It's being very hard to isolate, since the cast and steel really seem to carry the noise all over. Here's what I do know: It begins if you put slight tension on the belt. It happens at the same time on the motor shaft, exactly once per revolution.
I have used a hose and stick to try and locate the noise, and it seems very slightly more prominent on the end of the end of the motor. However this are is also more accessible than any other location.
Has anyone ran into this?

Josh, this has been an issue for lots of 3520 owners, and seems to often come from inside the headstock. On my own 3520, it originated from the speed sensor, which is a square piece mounted around the spindle (inside the headstock itself--this is very hard to access). First off, UNPLUG THE MACHINE!! You don't want your hands in there if it were to suddenly and unexpectedly come on. It is actually just about underneath the RPM readout. there is a hex head set screw which tightens down the RPM indicator. Every time the indicator spins with the spindle shaft, there is a flat spot with a magnet that indicates a full revolution. when loose, there is just enough play to contact the housing around it. After tightening, I never had a problem again. After hogging out hundreds of bowls, some quite fiercely, I was afraid I had damaged the bearings until I found the solution. Good luck with yours!!! PS--I think it is either a 3 or 3.5mm hex screw, but maybe 4mm.

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Josh... I have heard of folks having the temp lock button come slightly loose and cause that problem. Check that and then also check for any loose set screws. Also you have an RPM magnet... make sure that is not touching. Has to be something physical because of the once every revolution thing.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Josh,

Several of us have experienced this and the two main causes were:

1. Unplug your lathe or turn it off at the circuit breaker. Open the door like you are going to change speed and check the set screws that secure the pulleys to the shafts. Tighten if necessary.

2.Take note where your the button is that you press in to lock the spindle. Remove the 4 screws that hold the panel to the right of the spindle lock button.( This panel has the spindle RPM indicator on it). Now carefully remove the panel letting dangle by the wiring attached on it's back side. Look at the locking collar that the spindle lock button engages. Check that the collar is centered properly on the shaft to allow proper operation and that it's set screws are tightened. The locking collar is item #64 in the parts breakdown of the Headstock Assembly parts list. This also is used inconjunction with the speed sensor to provide RPM readouts. If it's set screw loosens allowing it to move, you can get irregular RPM readouts.

Those are two biggest causes of "clicking" on a PM3520B of which I am aware.

Good luck!

Philip Duffy
02-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Start your troubleshooting by taking off any chuck you have on the headstock. One of my chucks rattles at the Allen wrench connections. Phil

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Josh,
That square block is easy to access if you remove the RPM readout. Loosen the two hex head screws that hold the square block it in place. Slide the block as far left as possible (it Won't move much) then tighten the screws. It's an easy fix. Reinstall the readout but don't over tighten the four screws that hold in place. I had to do it when the machine was about a year old then never again. It drove me nuts until I figured it out. This has been the exact issue many of have had and the fix is pretty much the same for all.
faust

David E Keller
02-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Are ya'll saying that Josh has a screw loose? I suspected as much after talking with him in Nashville...

Josh Bowman
02-12-2012, 1:58 PM
David, I could have told you that.....if you'd asked.

Are ya'll saying that Josh has a screw loose? I suspected as much after talking with him in Nashville...

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2012, 1:59 PM
Sorry Josh....tough crowd!

LOL!

Josh Bowman
02-12-2012, 3:08 PM
The clicking is hard to isolate. But what I know it’s not is the:
speed sensor, I remove it from the hole.
Spindle lock, removed it.
Upper shafts lock nuts tight and locked.
Belt seems clean and the clicking happens on either pulley (but still in the same motor shaft position.
All pulley and sensor set screws checked and were tight.
I believe it must be in the motor, unfortunately, I can’t loosen the belt and isolate it, since the click goes away when I tighten it.
Let me know if you have any other ideas (except for Keller;)) and I’ll try them.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-12-2012, 6:12 PM
I believe it must be in the motor, unfortunately, I can’t loosen the belt and isolate it, since the click goes away when I tighten it.

Josh, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Does the noise stop when you release the belt and just run the motor? Do you mean Doc Keller made his way from Oklahoma to Nashville?? Too bad that wasn't advertised. Lots of us with aching bones would have wanted to meet him. I mean, how often do we get an opportunity for free medical advice.
faust

Josh Bowman
02-12-2012, 7:00 PM
Josh, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Does the noise stop when you release the belt and just run the motor? Do you mean Doc Keller made his way from Oklahoma to Nashville?? Too bad that wasn't advertised. Lots of us with aching bones would have wanted to meet him. I mean, how often do we get an opportunity for free medical advice.
faust
It only clicks when there is tension on the belt.
Not certain of Keller, I mean both hands all bandaged up and all. I'm not sure, but I think he charged Jim Adkins for advice;), at least he said he did some trading for one of his basket weave turnings.

David E Keller
02-12-2012, 10:30 PM
...I mean, how often do we get an opportunity for free medical advice.
faust

At best, you get what you pay for, Faust!

You know, you got me thinking! Since I can't turn a lick, maybe I can get on the symposium circuit by giving talks on aching joints… I've got a buddy that could talk about swollen prostates, too. I don't know that we could draw the crowds that Ashley Harwood had in Nashville, but the overflow has to go somewhere, right?

robert baccus
02-13-2012, 2:40 AM
New way to screw up. mine was clicking but stopped. so did the tackometer and the lock. my tach had slid to the right as far as possible and the oval slot in the shaft is empty. was this a magnet or a simple key missing. oneway is busy everytime i call. any info appreciated.------------old forester

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-13-2012, 7:48 AM
Doc,
I didn't know you were recovering from something to do with your hands. Boy, what a bummer. You probably can't work and you can't even turn during convalescence. Listen, if you do the Prostate thing, make sure the meeting room is close to the bathroom. Meanwhile, get batter fast. I must have been sleeping during any posts about your hands.
faust

Edit: I almost forgot what this post was about. Josh, Call PM service. Their techs are amazing and have heard it all. They'll get you spinning quietly fast.
faust

Bill Hensley
02-13-2012, 8:23 AM
Mine was doing the slight ticking noise but I found if I didn't lock the tension bar it stopped. Now I just let the motor create the tension and leave the knob loose. It sounded like the noise was coming from inside the motor housing.

Tim Rinehart
02-13-2012, 9:02 AM
I had this same clicking just a week or so ago, and it was the pickup wheel behind the RPM Sensor. With the lathe unplugged, I could hold the handwheel and reach in (barely) and turn the mag pickup wheel back and forth to confirm it was rocking and needed to be tightened down. I suspect it gets loose from the occasional wrenching with the lock button in.

Remember...there are two set screws on this device, be sure you get to both of them!

Thomas Canfield
02-24-2012, 10:20 PM
I found a clicking sound in my PM 3520b after moving when I started it up about the time this thead started. Yesterday I finally went through all the replies and tried to find the click source. I took off the switch plate and checked the set screws on the shafts, and other suggestions but did not have any success until I just took the air hose and blew out the interior of the headstock. I would hate to think that it was just that simple that some dust got dislodged during the move and a good blowing out was all that was required. Sometimes we go past the first obvious simple step, before going on to the other trouble shooting. Today I finally found enough tools and accessories to actually do some limited turning after almost 3 months.

BILL DONAHUE
02-25-2012, 12:59 AM
This thread is a good example of why Sawmill Creek is so good. I'm having this very problem with my PM 3520 and being a completely un-handy guy was ignoring it till something just stopped working. Tomorrow, I'll try out these suggestions. Thanks guys.

Sid Matheny
02-25-2012, 7:17 AM
I'm sure this is not your problem but I had a clicking in my DVR-XP at times and found it was in my SN2 chuck. Still have not taken it apart to see what is loose. I am almost totally deaf so it has to be loud. Can't believe it took me such a long time to discover what it was. DUH

Sid

Josh Bowman
03-08-2012, 4:01 PM
Well, the clicking is now gone. Got a new motor. Powermatic insisted that a local company troubleshoot and install a new motor, but they are over an hour away and didn't seem excited about doing the job, so I met them half way and gave them my old motor for the new and re installed it myself. Seemed awkward, I wish Powermatic would have just sent the thing to me in the first place.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2012, 4:20 PM
Glad to hear you got it fixed and thanks for the feedback! It will help the rest of us PM3520B owners in the future.

Dane Fuller
03-08-2012, 4:20 PM
Josh,
I'm glad you got it resolved. Did you ever figure out specifically what the problem was in the motor?

Josh Bowman
03-08-2012, 5:05 PM
Dane, not really. I started to take old motor apart but the bearings seem pressed in, when I started to remove the rear bell, I noted some unexpected noise, but again, the bearings seemed pressed in. For once I over came my natural curiosity and stopped before I found myself trying to fight to get the motor back together.
Ken, here's what I feel about the experience, I think the weight of the motor is plenty to tighten the belt, may even consider holding up a bit on the lever to remove some of the tension. I feel the length of the motors shaft and its extreme weight may put too much pressure on the armature or bearings, especially if you push down slightly on the tension handle. I base this from having heard from others here that had the same problem. I had a Jet 1642 and the motor, even though 2 hp, was lighter then the PM's, so pushing down didn't really put undue stress on the shaft.
The good news is the motor is very easy to replace, just put the head stock forward and take out the cap screw and the tension lever, determ the wiring and there it lays on the ways. Of course when I put it back on the thing ran backwards, so I had to flip 2 of the 3 wires and it was corrected.

Josh,
I'm glad you got it resolved. Did you ever figure out specifically what the problem was in the motor?

Thomas Canfield
03-30-2012, 10:43 PM
I had this same clicking just a week or so ago, and it was the pickup wheel behind the RPM Sensor. With the lathe unplugged, I could hold the handwheel and reach in (barely) and turn the mag pickup wheel back and forth to confirm it was rocking and needed to be tightened down. I suspect it gets loose from the occasional wrenching with the lock button in.

Remember...there are two set screws on this device, be sure you get to both of them!

I should have followed all the advice here earlier. My clicking came back and was getting worse. It sounded like a bearing noise, but it ended up being the mag pickup wheel being loose. The set screws are not easy to access but tightening both resolved the clicking.