PDA

View Full Version : A new direction

Michelle Rich
02-12-2012, 9:47 AM
This foray into tall hollow vessels is totally new for me. this piece is 14 inches tall & about 4 in diameter. Sorry about the picture. A friend's camera & I had no way to crop & fix..

Nate Davey
02-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Awesome Michelle, I always get excited when visionaries such as yourself, "go in a new direction". Is this a "segmented" piece like your earlier vases?

Peter Fabricius
02-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Michelle;
That is a beautiful piece. The other pieces also look great.
I would really like to be able to do spiral work on the lathe with a router and wonder if you are doing it that way.
If so, could you please explain your process / set up.
Thanks
Peter F.

Michelle Rich
02-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Hi Nate; thanks for your comment. No this was a regular piece of wood that I hollowed. (I did start tho, with a forstner bit) My friend's camera squishes pictures as mine used to do. This is a tall vessel and one would have to add 1/4 the height to it in this picture, to be what it looks like in real life.

Michelle Rich
02-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Peter : to my knowldge there are only a few ways to make spirals. one: by hand Two:a sears router crafter Three: A legacy ornamental mill (very expensive)

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2012, 10:40 AM
That's different! Interesting sense of motion but is pretty cool! What I like most is the texture! From the photo, it makes the form appear almost wet! Nice work!

Ed Morgano
02-12-2012, 10:55 AM
That is really neat Michelle. I love it!

Alan Trout
02-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I really like to explore new possibilities. You have done it very well.

Alan

David E Keller
02-12-2012, 11:37 AM
I like it, Michelle! The top is quite interesting… Such a nice departure from 'the norm'.

I think the 'squish' you mention in the photo is called barrel distortion, and if I remember correctly, the trick is to back away from the turning and crop down the photo you're after… My apologies to Jamie Donaldson if that's bad info, but I'm really trying to pay attention to him(and Ed Koenig) about this photo stuff!

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Michelle,
There are several new directions here. Thin and tall for sure as well as a dark finish and texture that all combine for a very sweet appearance. The top and bottom give a sense they may be threaded though I don't suppose that to be the case. Good for you being able to stray into something so new and different while staying with what seems to be a very mathematical and geometric mind.
By the way, that's a deep core. Did you hollow it by hand? if so, all the more kudos.
faust

Doug Herzberg
02-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Very cool. Your work fascinates me.

James Combs
02-12-2012, 1:15 PM
I like it, Michelle! The top is quite interesting… Such a nice departure from 'the norm'. I think the 'squish' you mention in the photo is called barrel distortion, and if I remember correctly, the trick is to back away from the turning and crop down the photo you're after… My apologies to Jamie Donaldson if that's bad info, but I'm really trying to pay attention to him(and Ed Koenig) about this photo stuff!

+1 on David's Comment. Commonly referred to as the "fish-eye" effect. It happens when you are very close to the subject. Think of the photos you have seen of people that are nose in the photo. However, that being said, without a way to crop you did a great job with what you had(unfamilar camera) and a great job on the HF.

John Keeton
02-12-2012, 2:05 PM
Looks very "high fashion", Michelle!! Nice work - and, lots of firsts in this one.

Fred Belknap
02-12-2012, 3:49 PM
Nice job on a difficult piece. It looks almost like a machined gear.:)

Billy Tallant
02-12-2012, 4:06 PM
Outstanding work, Michelle. That piece is very unique looking. I like the design.

Jamie Donaldson
02-12-2012, 4:34 PM
It's beneficial to creatively work "outside the familiar box" once in a while Michelle, but it's not clear to me what you see as "squish" in this image? There is no appreciable distortion in the round pieces imaged, and I don't see any significant barrel distortion in the vertical form. When a tall cylinder like this is bent outward in the middle it is called "barrel distortion," not "fisheye" as James mentioned, which extends(bends outward) proportions in all 360 degrees from center. Barrel distortion is an optical aberration often found in undercorrected wide angle lenses, often meaning "cheap," as found on less expensive cameras. Changing to longer focal length settings can often improve accurate reproduction of geometric form.

David DeCristoforo
02-12-2012, 5:02 PM
It has an Egyptian look to it. Certainly an unusual departure from the "typical" HF. There's a lot going on with this.

Harvey Ghesser
02-12-2012, 7:54 PM
Very well done, Michelle. I salute your imagination outside the box! I wish I could be a bit more like you...

Kathy Marshall
02-12-2012, 9:00 PM
Very nice Michelle! I really like the combo of the spiraling and texturing on the body.

Bob Bergstrom
02-12-2012, 9:24 PM
Now that is one distinctive piece. Hope to see this develop into more great works. Thanks for sharing your creative genius.

Doug W Swanson
02-12-2012, 9:39 PM
Excellent work once again! I'm always impressed with your work and how cutting edge it is!

Baxter Smith
02-12-2012, 9:42 PM
Now that is different Michele! Some things that are "different" take me a while to figure out if I personally care for. This one I seem to, so I have been sitting here studying the picture and trying to figure out exactly why. Haven't come up with a specific answer yet... but when I double click on the picture to enlarge it to maximum size... then spin the mouse wheel back and forth... it appears to spin back and forth. Kind of cool...but then it doesn't take much to amuse a simple mind!:)

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2012, 9:50 PM
Michelle that is a beauty. I like the look and it is different. Well done.

Michelle Rich
02-13-2012, 6:45 AM
thanks for the info Jamie..my 89.00 digital point & shoot & my friend's that I used here, "squish" things. OK my terminology ain't great, but in real life I can put the real vase next to the picture, The real vase is tall & thin. the picture vase is stocky & short. that is all I can tell you. My pictures will never get better, as I cannot afford a 700.00 camera, nor would it help to buy one as I wouldn't know how to use it

Russell Eaton
02-13-2012, 7:16 AM
Very nice Michelle. I like the spiral, well really I like the whole darn thing. Good job.

Bob Rotche
02-13-2012, 7:53 AM
I love to see people explore new directions! I really like this piece, Michelle. I especially like the interaction between the spiraly and the texturing. Look forward to see where you go next with this. Great job!

Jamie Donaldson
02-13-2012, 8:39 AM
Michell, should it be of any interest to you, these digital days you can buy an excellent camera for amounts less than$300 that will serve you well. I am willing to assist with a selection if you are interested.

Michelle Rich
02-13-2012, 8:47 AM
thanks..sending a pm