PDA

View Full Version : Reliant 14" Bandsaw

Michael Mayo
02-12-2012, 8:23 AM
I found a Reliant 14" bandsaw on the local CL nearby to me that the guy is asking $225 for. Is this bandsaw worth buying for that price? I could probably get it for less but if I can't is $225 too much for this saw? I currently have a Shopsmith 11" saw that is alright for small things but it is very limited in what I can use it for and would really like to get a bigger saw. I don't know anything about the Reliant brand and the saw looks somewhat older from the pics he sent to me.

CPeter James
02-12-2012, 9:11 AM
That is just about what that saw cost new, several years ago. I almost bought one new about 12 years ago, but went instead for a new delta for 3 times the price and never regretted it. It was a piece of junk. Sorry for the hard words if you own one, but I looked them over real closely and they were machined very poorly. They were not a good saw to start with and will need many upgrades to really perform the way you want. Keep looking for an older Delta/Rockwell. These are the daddies of the 14" bandsaws that are out there today and were quality saws. Parts are easily available.
CPeter

Michael Mayo
02-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks CP that is what I was looking for and don't worry about the harsh words it that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I don't want to spend money on something I will just be disappointed with and have to replace again. I will continue the search.

Don Jarvie
02-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Agree with CP. You can find a Delta for the same price but it might need a rehab. I own a Reliant that I bought years ago and its OK once I got it set up correctly.

Van Huskey
02-12-2012, 7:15 PM
They can be decent if set up correctly but can be a pain. That is a $100 unless it is truely plug and play, then maybe $150.

Bruce Wrenn
02-12-2012, 9:42 PM
Around here on CL used Delta 14" BS's (American made) go for anywhere between $100 and $350 depending upon if it's an open stand, or enclosed stand (bigger motor) and if it has the riser block. So for the money poster on CL is asking for a piece of junk, you can get a Delta. For some reason, they come in bunches. There won't be any for months and then there will be three or four at the same time. Friend bought one for $100 that "needed new brushes." A push of the little red button on motor solved brush problem.

Michael Mayo
02-12-2012, 11:23 PM
I spoke to him today and told him I changed my mind and he was very cordial about it. I will keep searching thanks again to everyone for the input saved me some disappointment.

Charles Lent
02-13-2012, 7:53 AM
I have a 16" Reliant bandsaw that I bought new about 14 years ago and I have been quite satisfied with it. It definitely isn't a top of the line saw, but it has done everything that I have ever asked of it, including some resaw work. At work there is a 14" and an 18" Delta bandsaw that I frequently use. My Reliant bandsaw probably won't live as long as these American made Delta saws, but it cuts wood about the same, and it will likely outlive me. Reliant tools were the house brand of Chiwanese woodworking tools that were sold by a Boston based company called Trendlines. This company has been out of business for about 10 years.

Charley

Curt Harms
02-13-2012, 8:09 AM
Isn't the Harbor Freight 14" 4 speed bandsaw a close relative to the Reliant?

david brum
02-13-2012, 10:00 AM
It seems like there were a ton of identical Taiwanese generic bandsaws produced in the '80s and '90s, with various labels. Around here, I see Mark1, Foremost, Jet (early). Grizzly (early), Reliant, Enco, Buffalo, etc. They all appear to come from the same factory, perhaps with different paint schemes. In the early days of machinery importing, it seems like various importers were jockeying for some market share.

My first 14" saw was a Central Machinery, from Harbor Freight. It worked fine, although it required many hours of adjusting and modifying to get there. All that time, I kept wishing I'd spent the extra money on a better designed machine, like a Grizzly or Jet or vintage Delta. The newer saws particularly address early design problems like dust collection, better blade guides, blade tensioning, decent fences, etc. In fact, for about twice what he was asking for the used saw, you can buy a new Grizzly with all kinds of upgrades.

Don Jarvie
02-13-2012, 3:37 PM
Treadlines was headquartered in Revere, MA (just outside of Boston) and hence the supplier of my Reliant BS and jointer. The store was at least 2500 to 3000 sq ft and sold everything in their catalog since it was where all of the mail orders were shipped, think of Woodcraft or Rockler on steroids.

I would go and drool over the new Powermatic and Delta tools and dream about someday outfitting my shop with all those great tools. By the way I'm still waiting for "someday"!