PDA

View Full Version : Triton Mitersaw

Greg Hines, MD
02-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Anyone know about the Triton 8.5" sliding miter saw? It looks solid, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of it.

Thanks.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2082404/30662/Triton-85-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw.aspx

keith micinski
02-11-2012, 11:30 PM
The reviews seem to say there is a reason it is being clearenced. Just using a sticker for the mitre gauge seems ridiculous. even my crappy Harbor Freight saw came with a metal gauge.

John Coloccia
02-12-2012, 3:03 AM
It's an absolute piece of junk, mostly made out of cheap plastic. Not only would I not pay for it, you couldn't give me one. I would rather gnaw through a stud with my teeth.

Richard Wolf
02-12-2012, 8:47 AM
So John, just to be clear, you don't like it?

Rich Engelhardt
02-12-2012, 9:13 AM
An 8.5" slider in general is an oddball that you're probably better off without anyhow.
I have one (Tradesman) and to be honest, I hope it breaks ASAP so I can toss it.
It's too big to be real portable and it's too small to crosscut anything even moderatly wide.
I have to stop and flip over laminate flooring which naturally, results in a bad cut.
Since that type of cut is hidden, it doesn't matter.

Blades are very difficult to find locally and when you do find them, they charge an outrageous price for them.
IIRC, I paid around $40.00 for a plain Jane DeWalt. Roughly $10.00 more than a similar 10" blade.

If/when mine dies, I will not replace it with another 8.5" or even 7.25" slider.
I'll pick up one of the cheap 10" sliders from HF instead.
Or maybe a CL RAS.
Those are one of the things that do crop up a lot in my area. Craftsman 10" RAS's.

John Coloccia
02-12-2012, 9:20 AM
So John, just to be clear, you don't like it?

LOL...you can say that. :D I had to sell these at Woodcraft last year. We took one out of the box just so people would see them. Most had the good sense to touch it once and walk away. Others had the good sense to listen when I told them, "Honestly, even at THIS low price I don't think it's worth it, but I'll sell you whatever you want". Somehow, we managed the sell the 6 or 7 we had brought into the store....thank heavens because we were all sick of looking at them :)