PDA

View Full Version : Way Late Project Pics II

Mike Vermeil
03-19-2005, 5:38 PM
Out of room on the last post, so here's a few more pics to look at:

The first two are of a storage box I added to one side door of my truck's shell to provide an easily accesable storage space that would keep more delicate items from sliding around the bed of my truck. Luckily, my shell has a subframe of aluminum square tubing which I was able to hang the box from, leaving plenty of space underneath for sheet goods and other items. The box itself is made of exterior grade plywood and is covered with 3 or 4 coats of spar urethane varnish. I stapled some area rug, anti-slip matting to the bottom of the box, and thus far nothing has been damaged due to sliding during transport. Actually, nothing has slid at all. The box also comes in quite handy bringing home the groceries, and saves me from climbing all the way into the bed to retreive lawn chairs when we get to the kid's sporting events!

The last picture is just the top of my unisaw after cleaning with scotch brite pads attached to my ROS. I read about this method in FWW some time ago, and finally got around to trying it today. I bought my saw used, and the top was not well cared for. It had many stains, nicks and the like, and making matters worse is a very poor quality final surface mill from Delta. The broach must have been pretty dull the day my top was cranked out! I also had an unfortunate plumbing issue a couple years ago in the master bathroom above the saw in my old shop. I've tried fine grit sand papers in the past, but didn't want to remove the amount of material it would have taken to clean up the stains and to reach the bottom of the broach pattern. The scotch brite pads were just the ticket. They removed the vast majority of the stains, cleaned down to the bottom of the broach marks, and left the top with an appealing satin glow. I claned off the metal dust with mineral spirits, added a coat of paste wax, and the saw is good to go. I'm not sure why I posted this pic exactly. I guess just to give you all another saw top maintenance option.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Tyler Howell
03-19-2005, 6:13 PM
Looking Good Mike.

Nice set up!

Darren Ford
03-19-2005, 7:32 PM
Mike, I enjoyed seeing the stand in the last post, and this box. I like seeing what people come up with to solve real world problems.

Thanks for the scotch brite tip. I've never heard that before. You owe us a "before" photo of the Uni. :)

Jeff Sudmeier
03-20-2005, 7:11 AM
Mike, good job on the tool box, that really seems like a great idea! I used to run with a truck cap very similar to that one and that box would have been a great addition!