PDA

View Full Version : Compact battery for 3M AirStream or BreatheEasy respirators

Alan Zenreich
02-11-2012, 10:12 PM
I know that some of you use 3M AirStream or BreatheEasy respirators.

I finally got around to making a video that shows the way I am using an alternative to the stock 3M NiCad battery.

This tiny rechargeable lithium battery lasts longer, and is a small fraction of the weight and cost of the original.

Because of its size and USB connectors, it lends itself to mounting on the helmet, eliminating a cord going to your belt.
I hope this gives some folk ideas for use in their own configurations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0m9n9Iog7w

Joe Vincent 63
02-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Alan,

Thanks for taking the time to put this together - great information on a great alternative! I ended up with the 3m as well. Price actually went up at Airware America about $125 since, so my timing was good!

Joe V

Alan Zenreich
02-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Joe,

I thought you'd get a kick out of this configuration.

Are you enjoying your new AirStream... and using it whenever you turn?

Joe Vincent 63
02-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Just beginning to get back to turning. Was very sick for about 2 1/2 months - lost so much weight and strength that I went from the ability to do about 30 pushups to 3. Still a bit weak, but luckily recovering.

I will be using it whenever I turn!

Joe

philip labre
02-12-2012, 9:05 AM
Thanks for posting this Alan. I may do this for my breath easy just to reduce the weight on the belt.

Nate Davey
02-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Great thread Alan, I believe the third pin on your stock helmet cable is for the thermistor, which cuts the charging if the battery gets too hot.

Ted Calver
02-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Alan,
This is an excellent post and a very well done presentation. Thanks for providing an option that, for me fixes one of the major drawbacks to the Airstream (other than price :) ). Two much lighter and longer lasting batteries for less than the price of one original is very attractive. I need to replace my eight year old Trend and it looks like the 3-M with this battery set up might be for me.

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Great video Alan. Going to look into it today.

Alan Zenreich
02-12-2012, 11:56 AM
For some reason the MP1860a has disappeared from the product section of the Tekkeon web site (the documentation is there under the Support tab).

In case anyone is interested, I bought my units from Amazon.

I rather like the Tekkeon products... I also have a MP3540 R2 that I use as auxiliary power for laptop computers, video cameras, etc. It provides from 5 to 19 volts. Cool toys <s>

Alan Zenreich
02-12-2012, 12:00 PM
It turns out that there are different versions of the 3M batteries.

The one shown in my video is original NiCad for my BreatheEasy.

There is a more recent NiCad pack specifically (and only) for the newer revisions of the AirStream motors that weigh a bit less than the one shown in my video, lasts 9 hours, and recharges in about 6 hours.

Price for a battery and charger are still way up there though.

So rather than go through all the permutations of 3M battery and appropriate chargers, I thought it was time to take another approach.
Even if I wasn't using the Tekkeon units with my respirators, I'd be content using them as portable power supplies for varmy ever increasing number of USB devices.

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2012, 1:18 PM
Alan got your last PM and you were right on the voltage. So guess I will build one. I am definitely going to get your setup for the Airstream.

Oh and I tried to reply to your last PM and it said your box is full and couldn't accept anymore PM's.

Alan Zenreich
02-12-2012, 3:16 PM
I just annotated the video at around the 4:50 point, adding notes that there is a newer 3M AirStream specific NiCad battery that weighs less and charges quicker (with a newer charger) than the one from my BreatheEasy.

So for some users, the run time and charge time is comparable to my configuration.

However the setup I use is a small fraction of the weight and cost of the OEM version.

Just more food for thought

Brian McInturff
02-12-2012, 4:26 PM
I ordered the MP1860a last night on Amazon. Got mine for $54 from one place, the other sellers had theirs at $61 which is still a great deal.

Baxter Smith
02-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the demo Alan. My battery doesn't seem to have the staying power that it used to so I can see giving this a try before too long.

Alan Zenreich
03-10-2012, 5:00 PM
Those that know me, know I'm not much for cosmetics, but this was an entertaining little project.

Over the years I've been keeping my eyes open for deals on used 3M AirStream and BreatheEasy units. I've gotten some pretty good deals on eBay and Craigslist... especially when I didn't need anything.

I recently acquired a Racal AirStream AH5 (now the 3M AirStream AS400), and the white shell was a little grungy, so I had a thought... I wondered if I could create a black AirStream.

A few months back I bought some BreatheEasy helmet shells (just the black plastic, no other parts) from a guy on ebay, at a VERY reasonable price. Like all of the BreathEasy helmets, it was configured to accept the air tube that extends from the belt mounted blower into a pvc connector inside the helmet. This connector is the only significant difference from the AirStream's shell.

With some judicious cutting, I removed the inner pvc helmet connector and platform, leaving the outer oval so it now accepts the AirStream blower motor into the helmet, just like the AirStream does.

Then with my best Dr. Frankenstein attitude, I set about cannibalizing the AH5, moving its faceshield, motor and assorted parts to the new shell. I had a new headband, foam temple shields, and tyvek skirt... and used them in the new configuration.

Finally, I did the compact battery modification for the new-to-me (actually the oldest) AirStream.

So, why go through the trouble?

It was fun (I clearly am easily amused)
I now have what is likely the only black 3M AirStream helmet on the planet, rendering me incredibly fashionable, and admired by hoards of female PAPR enthusiasts
If Bill Grumbine and I are in the same shop, with our helmets on, it will be easier to tell us apart

Of course, that last item also applies if Lauren and I are in the same shop <vbg>

The photos show the FrankenStream creation, the pair of AirStreams, and a bevy of BreatheEasy units (one a rather rare welder's version).

When the most recent of the AirStreams showed up, Lauren said "Are you done now???"

Oh, and yes... when I got the new little monster completed, and powered it up for the very first time, I yelled out "IT'S ALIVE!!!!"

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2012, 7:28 PM
Wow! The Darth Vader of AirStreams... looks cool but now you have something else to dust!!

Nice work!

Joe Vincent 63
03-10-2012, 9:47 PM
Alan,

The black helmets look sharp. Like the color much better than the white.

Joe

Grant Wilkinson
03-12-2012, 9:43 AM
I love the black, Alan. Mine is a beat up red colour. You've given me ideas. In a previous post, you mentioned using a BreathEasy as a tethered unit. I have an older BreathEasy, using the belt mounted filters and a home-made battery/holder. When you went with a longer hose to make the tethered unit, did you need to increase the blower size? I'm thinking that pushing air through a much longer hose would require more oomph.

Alan Zenreich
03-12-2012, 9:55 AM
Grant,

I don't have a closeup photo handy of the HEPA filter mounted on my wall, but this photo of one of my sons might give you an idea of the setup

There is a length of clear 2.5" hose going from the beige HEPA room filter, to a sliding curtain track on the shop ceiling (this take the weight off of the hose), so the hose can slide the length of the room. That hose ends in a swivel connector (so no tangled hose), and attaches via a reducer (seen taped in green) to a lightweight six foot 1.25" shopvac hose that in turn inserts conveniently into the ribbed BreatheEasy hose.

The nice thing about this setup is that it's very lightweight and quiet. With the powerful blower being a few feet away, the airflow is very adjustable.

I do tend to tweak equipment, eh?

Grant Wilkinson
03-15-2012, 9:52 PM
Tks much, Alan. In another forum, you mentioned Eugen Schlaak, and I found and wrote to him. He was kind enough to provide great pics on how he did his. The nice part about your mod and his is that I don't need to hack away any bits from the helmet. So, if I don't like it, I'm only out the cost of a room hepa unit. I have lots of hose pieces kicking around.

Alan Zenreich
03-16-2012, 5:35 AM
Grant,

One thing I added, that I had not seen or may have missed in Eugen's setup is a swivel adaptor. This keeps the hose from getting twisted as you move around.
I also found that using 2.5" hose for the first part of the run was helpful... and facilitated getting a swivel adapter. I don't recall where I purchased the adapter, I'll have to dig up the details... but it made all the difference in my setup.

You are right though... it's trivial to move the BreatheEasy helmet from the room HEPA filter to its normal belt mounted filter/blower.

Alan Zenreich
03-16-2012, 5:43 AM
I found the swivel adaptor (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22151) information... it's a Rockler item
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/31660-01-200.jpg

Grant Wilkinson
03-19-2012, 8:24 AM
Tks much, Alan. I'm scoping out Hepa room air cleaners now.

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-12-2013, 2:38 PM
Late to the game here, found this on a search. This is great info, thanks for posting. I have the older style airstream when it was owned by Racal. It has the back pack blower and battery rather than all built into the helmet like yours, Alan. It's about 20 years old and the helmet is showing it's age. The straps, foam inserts, of course, tyvek are literally falling apart. Does anyone know where I can source out some parts for it? I've tried Googling to no avail.

PS Testing the waters: On Ebay I happened on a 3 backpack assemblies/ belts with motor excluding the battery and filter. If anyones interested in those I can sell 2 as I only need 1. They are like new.

Chris Cartier
08-25-2015, 3:04 PM
Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I've been trying to find a USB battery pack that will power my AirStream. I've tried 3 different brands so far, and none seem to work.

http://www.amazon.ca/Anker-13000mAh-Portable-%E2%80%8BExternal-Technology/dp/B00BQ5KHJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440529049&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+battery

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00T415OTS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00MUJAQG2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

The battery mentioned in the video is no longer available. I can get the fan to power on when I hook it up to an AC USB wall charger, so I'm not sure what is stopping the battery packs from starting the fan.

I'm currently using a 4AA battery pack with 3.5mm audio connectors to hook it up to the helmet.

Please let me know if you have found a current pack that will work.

Doug Bartos
08-25-2015, 9:39 PM
Hi Chris,

I have an Anker 16000 that I have to press the On button a bunch of times to get it to turn on. The one that I like the best is the RavPower 10400 that I bought around Christmas for $19. It's $15 now. Thanks again to Alan, this has worked great for me.

Doug

Grant Wilkinson
08-26-2015, 3:01 PM
chris: I have 2 Jockery units that work very well. I got them on sale some time ago on Amazon. I see now that Amazon Canada has an Aukey 12000 mAh unit on sale for $20 Canadian, down from $80. I may well get one at that price, but I need to do a bit of research first.

Two things I've found you need to look for. The unit needs to have an off and on switch. Many of the units have electronics that turn them on when they sense that a battery is trying to draw from them. This happens if you are using them to charge a cell phone, for example. However, these units will not turn on when they are connected to our motors. The second thing is that the unit must accept a draw of 2 amps at least. The first couple of Tekkeon units I bought had to go back as they would only take a draw of a little over an amp. The Jockery units that I have now will take 2.1 amps and that works well.

Chris Cartier
09-06-2015, 5:11 PM
Thanks Grant and Doug for your replies.

I am going to go ahead and order the RavPower 10400. I still have the Anker 12000 packs I ordered, I kept them just to charge my phone on the go, I will try to get it to work by pushing the on button a bunch.

I couldn't find any Jockery packs, but I did find Jackery packs is that what you meant? I think I'll order one too and the Aukey packs looks very nice, I'll probably get one of them also. One thing I love about Amazon is how easy it is to return something if it doesn't work as intended.

I will return with results from these 3 new batteries, and yes thanks again to Alan for starting this thread in the first place. I have never had to buy or use the stock battery thanks to him!

EDIT: Just purchased a RavPower 10400, and an Aukey 12000mAh pack. They were $25Cnd each, the Jackery pack was $35 for only 6000mAh so I decided to pass on it. Crossing my fingers.

Grant Wilkinson
09-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Chris: Yes, I did mean Jackery. They are back up to regular price now, though. I received the Aukey while I was away last week. It is quite large, so I'm still deciding if it is a keeper.

Chris Cartier
09-07-2015, 10:42 AM
Grant, I would love to know if the Aukey pack works well or not, the weight listed on Amazon for the Aukey is less than the Anker packs I have, so if the Aukey packs work I'll be a happy camper.

Grant Wilkinson
09-10-2015, 1:07 PM
Chris: I tried it today and it works well. I've not run it down, so I can't say how long it will last. My 3M unit is the one with the blower and filter on my belt, so I have more flexibility in where to mount the battery. I just velcro it to the respirator unit. I think the Aukey pack would be a bit long for mounting on the helmet.

Chris Cartier
09-16-2015, 2:40 PM
The RavPower pack works perfectly! I just ordered 2 more.

I had a strange issue with the Aukey pack, I could get it to power the helmet, but only if I pushed the power button before connecting it to the helmet. I thought that wasn't such a big issue, but then I unplugged it and tried to turn it on again and nothing happened. It was as if the pack was frozen, I couldn't turn it on or even charge my phone with it. I thought I had shorted something, then I tried plugging the battery pack itself into a USB charger and it came back to life. I can then get the helmet to power on again, but if I unplug it the same thing keeps happening. The Aukey pack will be going back, the RavPower pack works beautifully every time I plug it in and is smaller and lighter than the Aukey pack so it's kind of a no-brainer as to which one I'm going to use. I just hope I can keep finding compatible packs in the coming years, although I can always go back to my AA battery pack in that eventuality.

Rich Boehlke
11-17-2015, 4:09 PM
My 3M battery finally died so for a replacement, I purchased a Ravpower 10400. Next was to figure out a way to use it with the helmet. The answer turned out to be fairly easy. The fan assembly removes easily from the helmet and the existing 3 prong connector cord can easily be removed from the fan assembly. The hardest part is cutting the metal ring off of the cord inside the fan housing. Cut the two leads where they attach to the fan leads and completely remove the old cord intact.
Now get a standard USB cable, cut one end off and strip back the insulation and shield. There are four wires inside. The red and black are power conductors and the only ones needed. Trim the other wires back out of the way. route this cable back through the fan housing the same way as the old cable. Attach the red wire to the red fan lead and the black wire to the black fan lead. I soldered the wires and covered them with shrink tubing but small butt connectors would work also.
Plug into the Ravpower unit and test:
Reassemble the fan into the helmet and enjoy!

Steve Schlumpf
11-17-2015, 4:32 PM
Rich - this looks like a real nice setup! I know nothing about these battery packs, so have to ask - how long does it take to charge the pack? I don't see a plug - how do you charge the battery pack?

Rich Boehlke
11-17-2015, 5:21 PM
Rich - this looks like a real nice setup! I know nothing about these battery packs, so have to ask - how long does it take to charge the pack? I don't see a plug - how do you charge the battery pack?

There are three USB ports on the RAVpower. The 2 larger ones are outputs. The small one in the center is the input or charging port. The RAVPower comes with two cables hat can be used either way. Attach the small center port (called USB Micro) to the USB output of your cell phone charger, a USB port on your computer or a USB port in your car.

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks Rich and everyone that kept this thread evolving! I picked up the RAVpower battery, rewired my helmet for USB and just tried the new configuration out yesterday - WORKS like a charm! The battery comes with a cloth pouch, so instead of attaching the battery to the helmet (I really didn't want any additional weight on my neck!) I just placed the battery into the pouch, then slipped it into my back pocket. Amazed at how easy the conversion was and am beyond happy with the huge cost savings!

Thanks everyone!! :D

Brad McCollum
08-07-2017, 5:44 PM
I know this thread is a few years old so please forgive me for reviving it. My Airstream battery just quit on me and I am interested in what I have been reading above. Can any of you give me any long term results on these battery packs? How long have they lasted? Charge times? Run time? Pros and cons? Thank you very much for your help.

Grant Wilkinson
08-07-2017, 8:21 PM
I have 2 of the USB lith-ion packs and have been using them for a couple of years. On the smaller of the 2, I get about 6 hours. On the larger, I get more than a day. As for charging times, I really don't know, as I'm charging one while using the other and don't keep track. There are many more on the market now than there were when Alan started this thread and when I bought mine. The price has come down considerably also.

The key to choosing is to ensure that the output will take a draw of 2 amps. Many of the less expensive ones will only take a draw of 1 amp. The motors on the Airstream draw more than that, so the circuitry shuts down the output.

joe zarnitz
08-08-2017, 8:56 PM
do we know what will work in what is available now ----tks,joe

Dave Fritz
08-09-2017, 8:23 AM
This is still available. https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Portable-Technology-Smartphones-Black/dp/B00XC1W9H6?th=1 It's the one used in the most recent conversion.

Brad McCollum
08-10-2017, 8:50 PM
I received my Ravpower 20000 mAh pack today and it is a no go. When ever I hook it up the fan starts to nun but kicks off instantly. Ordering the one listed above tomorrow. Hoping it will work. Getting behind on orders.

Grant Wilkinson
08-11-2017, 11:00 AM
That's good to know, Brad.

The title in the Amazon link says that it is 4.5 amp dual output, which would seem to indicate each of the 2 output ports could take a draw of 2.25 amps. However, in the description of the unit, the output is listed as taking a combined draw of 3.5 amps. That would put each port to 1.75. In my experience, anything less than 2 amps will not work. On startup, my blower draws about 2.1 amps. It settles down to about 1.8 or so. It's the initial 2.1 amp draw that excludes many of the "charging" units that are available.

joe zarnitz
08-13-2017, 1:29 PM
does the ravpower 1040 power from either output------mine only powers from the one closet to the input the other wont---tks,joe

Brad McCollum
08-16-2017, 6:33 PM
Well my Ravpower 10400 arrived the other day. It does the same thing as the others I've tried. As soon as power is applied to the fan the circuit kicks open and shuts it down. The only thing can figure is that these new power banks have sensors built in that will not allow the slightest over draw. I have not been able to find a lithium power bank that will take this much draw. So I went old school. Drove over to my neighborhood hobby shop and picked up a 4.8 volt, 2000 mAh, 4 cell power pack. (AA battery size cells) These are made for radio control boats and planes and weigh only a few ounces. Picked up a charger, a switch and some shrink tube along with and spent less than $50. Bottom line is it works. As soon as I tidy up the installation and get a better feel for run time and charge time I'll post some pics in a follow up.

Michael Schneider
08-18-2017, 9:00 AM
Has anyone tried the ravpower 26800 ? Amazon is running a 10% sale and I was thinking about buying one.

Brad McCollum
08-23-2017, 5:22 AM
366620366621 This is what I've ended up with and it works great. The battery pack and switch are held on with velcro for easy removal. I used the helmet for 4 hours several days ago after giving it a full charge. It sat unused for a couple of days and then I used it for 6 hours straight. All on the initial charge. The weight of the battery pack is so little I don't notice it on the helmet. Charge time was 12 hours the first time and I have not yet been able to run it all the way down. I am very happy with this set up. Much better than spending around $300 for a big heavy battery pack that I have to carry in my pants pocket.

jason lambert
04-20-2020, 4:00 PM
366620366621 This is what I've ended up with and it works great. The battery pack and switch are held on with velcro for easy removal. I used the helmet for 4 hours several days ago after giving it a full charge. It sat unused for a couple of days and then I used it for 6 hours straight. All on the initial charge. The weight of the battery pack is so little I don't notice it on the helmet. Charge time was 12 hours the first time and I have not yet been able to run it all the way down. I am very happy with this set up. Much better than spending around $300 for a big heavy battery pack that I have to carry in my pants pocket.

can you post a model number I can't view pics looks like they want money to view pics.

Grant Wilkinson
04-21-2020, 8:19 AM
Jason:

I've been using a lith-ion pack for some years now. If you search on Amazon, for example, for "cell phone battery backup", you will get lots of hits on these packs. They are of various Mah power, so you can choose physical size and ratings. The important thing to look for is the amp rating of the output port. It needs to be at least 2A. Many of them are rated at 1.2. The motor draw on start up is more than they can take and the internal circuitry will trip.