PDA

View Full Version : Burl and copper

Jim Burr
02-11-2012, 3:47 PM
Saw a cool thing on IAP for a metal inlay. Had some copper from my friend Mack Cameron in Canada so I glued it up last night. Spalted maple on a gold Sierra...matte CA finish. Look close, 2 copper inlays. Needs some work.
Some kind of scary burl Keller sent me, I'll turn anything so a little platter it became! 7-8" long and 1/8" thick...tons of glue to hold it together, finished with 2 coats of spray shellac. Kinda fun to do something with more air time than Kobie. Thanks for looking and C&C always used on the next one!

Roger Chandler
02-11-2012, 5:31 PM
Keller sent you an amoeba! :eek:

charlie knighton
02-11-2012, 7:06 PM
very nice,
Kinda fun to do something with more air time than Kobie., course just a couple games by Lyn, is that how you spell it, or Lin

David E Keller
02-11-2012, 8:02 PM
Cool stuff, Jim! I don't recall that piece of wood, so I can't tell you what it is... Could be spalted elm burl, but it's pretty tough to say.

John Terefenko
02-11-2012, 8:55 PM
Jim be carteful pen turning can get very addictive. Now you went ahead and started adding some segments or inlays as you wish. The sky is the limit when it comes to designs. Thanks for showing.

Baxter Smith
02-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Neat pen but I am not quite sure what to think about that platter Jim. It reminds me of the remains of last summers roadkill.;):)

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Nice work on both Jim! I've never turned a pen - but this one sure is cool! I have turned a couple of platters and you did a great job on this one! Love that wild edge!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Jim they both look great. Pen and wood is really nice. Platter looks really good.

Harvey Ghesser
02-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Nice work on the pen, Jim...not sure about the platter.

Tim Rinehart
02-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Jim, I'm curious how you did the copper inlay. I have copper dust, that I've used for inlay, but your pen looks like it was cut twice and layered with copper perhaps. Is that what you did? Just curious. I like it, gives me ideas when I'm in a pen mode. I do like the Keller road kill, err amoeba or whatever it is piece too :D...would look good hanging or displayed vertical too.

Scott Lux
02-13-2012, 1:27 PM
Nice job on both. The pen is very nice. I've done an aluminum inlay the same way on a Euro pen. Makes it easy to line up the two pieces. Soda cans work very well for the Al stripe.

Jim Burr
02-13-2012, 1:30 PM
Jim, I'm curious how you did the copper inlay. I have copper dust, that I've used for inlay, but your pen looks like it was cut twice and layered with copper perhaps. Is that what you did? Just curious. I like it, gives me ideas when I'm in a pen mode. I do like the Keller road kill, err amoeba or whatever it is piece too :D...would look good hanging or displayed vertical too.

It's a lot easier than I thought Tim...check IAP for the details. I'll PM you the link when I find it.

Tim Rinehart
02-13-2012, 2:42 PM
Thanks Jim...just got done looking at the tutorial. I guess I needed a good excuse to buy a scroll saw! I can see where matching the kerf of saw to the metal thickness+glue is important where grain must line back up. Look forward to trying this sometime.