PDA

View Full Version : Convection oven, Tips for first time user.

Dave Lehnert
02-11-2012, 3:07 PM
I' m no chef so a I have a question on a new stove I purchased.
First time with a convection oven. What and when is the proper way to use one. I gave it a test run with a frozen pizza (HEY! I'm a woodworker) It cooked much faster than a standard oven but the outer crust got over done vs the center of the pizza that was a little under done.

Gerry Kaslowski
02-11-2012, 3:29 PM
Start by backing off the temp by 25 degrees or so. Sometimes you have to go as much as 50. It depends on the type of food. When I bake bread, etc, I drop it about 25 degrees.

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-11-2012, 4:20 PM
RTM. :)

The manual should have info and tips on what mode to use when. On our ovens, "convection" and "convention bake" are different, and the latter setting burned the cookies on the top rack (my wife is the chef, but I know how to read manuals). Convection does bake items a little more quickly.

Dave Lehnert
02-11-2012, 5:43 PM
Manual is no help. Just the basics how to turn it on and off.

Van Huskey
02-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Ours has a conversion feature you put in the standard temp and time and it converts it. If you don't have anything like this reduce as mentioned by 25-50 degrees and check it after about 75% of the normal time, then you can begin to get a feel for it. I can't think of a time when I don't use the feature except when broiling.