PDA

View Full Version : Cpap

Peter Stahl
02-11-2012, 9:26 AM
Looking into getting my first cpap set up and would like to know which type of mask you really like and the one you really hated. Also who has good service & sells them for a good price?

Matt Meiser
02-11-2012, 9:54 AM
I've had mine for a few years now--made a huge difference for me. I have a Fisher and Paykel Zest mask. That's just what the med supply place gave me and I've never tried anything else except for a brief time trying a full mask hich I did not like.

Ive bought supplies a couple times now from CPAP.com but haven't set up to have my doctor send them my prescription which is required to buy masks or machines. They do not take insurance of any kind and therefore they won't be in-network for any plans that require that. If I don't have a lot of other medical expenses in a year I'm better off paying out of pocket from them than locally and running it through my insurance though. It's more convenient too as the closest in network supply place is 20 minutes from me.

Steve Friedman
02-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Don't use it any more, but ResMed Mirage Swift II was the best .
I hated anything that touched my face, interfered with my vision, or didn't let me sleep on my side (both sides).

Steve

Matt Meiser
02-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Oh, one more thing to add--buy a UPS (computer backup battery) and plug it into that. Nothing more rude than a power failure. I don't think you can suffocate but it sure doesn't make for easy breathing. If there's more than a momentary dip the UPS I have starts beeping and wakes us up. Not sure how long it could actually run on the UPS but the alarm is worthwhile (as is the surge supression since its a rather expensive machine.)

I can and do sleep on my sides with mine and the mask stays sealed. It uses a 2-layer mask with a silicone seal and a foam inner piece. Air between the two kind of inflates it to match your face. Not sure if that's how they all do it. The full face mask if I moved it would often break the seal.

Jerry Bruette
02-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I use a Philips Respironics Comfort Gel nasal mask. I've had real good luck with it and you can buy replacement cushions for it instead of getting a whole new mask. It sounds similiar to the one Matt described. I also sleep on my side and have no problems keeping a seal.

I tried a nasal pillow type mask for two nights and brought the tourtous device back. The pillows made my nostrils raw.YMMV.

I also deal with CPAP.com and am very pleased with their service. If you go to their website you can read all kinds of customer reviews on all the types of masks, machines and accesories. The one supplier I'll never deal with again, because I feel that they are crooks, is CPAPFIRST.com. Long story about advertised prices and prices billed to insurance.

Good luck with your machine, take some time to get used to it. It can make a big difference in the quality of life.

Jerry

Jim Tobias
02-12-2012, 3:05 AM
I have used these - Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear by Resmed and really like them. The 2nd link is the machine - Resmed Elite S9. Much more portable than the first machine I had.
http://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-swift-fx-nasal-pillow-cpap-mask-headgear.html
http://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/resmed-s9-elite-cpap-machine.html
Jim

Kevin L. Pauba
02-12-2012, 8:46 AM
+1 on the Philips Comfort Gel nasal mask. I can't compare it to any other as it's the only one I've used (and for just a couple of months). I have absolutely no trouble with it while sleeping on my back or sides.

Craig Matheny
02-12-2012, 9:02 PM
All of those look very uncomfortable I know one day I will have to get one but for now my wife just slaps me :eek:

Peter Stahl
02-13-2012, 7:15 AM
Thanks for all the feed back so far. Still not sure what type I will get but the Swift FX Nasal Pillow looks like it might work.

Gary Hodgin
02-14-2012, 10:34 PM
I've tried three or four but the Res-Med Swift LT is my preference. It's a nasal cushion mask and is very light. The cushions come in S,M, L. I have a large head and had trouble finding a cushion mask that fit well and stayed put.

I have a Remstar M-series with C-flex cpap machine. I had quite a bit of trouble adjusting to a cpap (tried several mask and a couple of machines) but this mask and machine work great for me.

Kevin Gregoire
02-18-2012, 10:46 PM
i dont understand why the sleep study is around two grand or so? that is a big scam if you ask me and i wont do it.
i have had insomnia for 4 years and my mother keeps hounding me to get a cpap but i try to tell her i need to want
to sleep first before needing a machine.

but i did see last week someone now makes a machine you can take home and wear in the comfort of your own bed
that monitors you and only runs like five hundred bucks or so for the nights testing and you bring it back so they can
download the data and set you up.

i did buy a remstar cflex machine new on ebay but couldnt get used to the mask, when i am in bed i sleep on my stomach
or side and a mask dont work. and i have messed up sinuses so a nasal mask wont work either. im just screwed i guess?

Eddie Watkins
02-19-2012, 12:01 AM
There are several reasons to use a CPAP. When you stop breathing in your sleep it is possible to lose consciousness before waking. Also, damage can occur to your organs, especially tha heart, due to the lack of oxygen. One of the things they check for during the sleep study is your blood oxygen level. I have developed some kind of lung problem and the doctor has me wear an oximeter all night on occasion to determine blood oxygen levels. I was told this was to insure I was getting enough oxygen to prevent any organ damage.
I just got my second machine after wearing out an old ResMed. The new one is a ResMed S9. I use a mask with nasal pillows now and Like them really well. They rarely leak. I do use a lip balm like chap stick on my nose to prevent the moisture from causing my nose to get sore. It seems to work pretty well. I started with a mask that covered my nose and mouth and could never get it to stop leaking. The nasal pillows work best for me. Good luck, it's really critical the mask fits right or it is hard to keep using it.

Jim Neeley
02-19-2012, 12:09 AM
I have used these - Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear by Resmed and really like them. The 2nd link is the machine - Resmed Elite S9. Much more portable than the first machine I had.
http://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-swift-fx-nasal-pillow-cpap-mask-headgear.html
http://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/resmed-s9-elite-cpap-machine.html
Jim

+1 on this model. I've been using a CPAP now since '99, getting a new mask each year, and this one is far and away the best. It even works well if you use high pressures.

Jim

Peter Stahl
02-19-2012, 1:56 PM
I finally got my mask and Cpap machine w/ humidifier. Below is what they gave me. I've only been able to fall asleep with it one night since I brought it home. I think I need to adjust it better. It also feels like I'm not getting enough air but that could be anxiety too. The person that set me up with it said the pressure was low at 7 cm H2O, he goes by what the test center says. I'll give it another week unless this head cold I have gets worst. I was also told I can get a new mask every 6 month so I can always try something different.

Mask: http://www.cpap.com/productpage/respironics-optilife-nasal-pillow-cradle-cushion-cpap-mask-headgear.html
Machine : http://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/respironics-pr-system-one-remstar-plus-cpap-cflex.html

Matt Meiser
02-19-2012, 3:36 PM
I didn't think I was going to make it through the first 10 minutes of my sleep study for that exact reason. I got used to it relatively quickly though. I compare it to walking into a stiff wind where the wind kind of takes your breath away.

7 is low. Mine is at 13 now and I was told that's not particular high. I started off at 11 and the doctor raised it twice in the first year based on data read from my data card.

Try a Neti Pot for clearing your sinus cavity. Stupid name but it works great--I resisted when my doctor recommended it because it sounded gross but a coworker also recommended one and I finally gave in. I've taken to using it regularly when I come in from the shop as well if I've been doing anything dusty. You should be able to find one at any mid-box pharmacy. Costco sells the refills with some bottle shaped things that look harder to use than the Neti pot for using them at a great price.

Jerry Bruette
02-19-2012, 10:08 PM
I have a Fisher and Paykal machine that has a ramp up feature on start up. I used it for a while when I first started on cpap but don't use it any more. It helped with the feeling of inrush.

I agree with Matt on the Neti pot. Sort of a crazy idea but the thing works wonders if you're plugged up. I've also found that I don't have as much sinus trouble since I started using cpap. I think it has to do with breathing humidified air all night. Might not make a difference for you if you're living near the coast.

Jerry

Eddie Watkins
02-19-2012, 10:37 PM
I used to sit on the side of the bed and let the machine ramp up before laying down. That seemed to minimize the feeling of not getting enough air. When I got my new machine last month, I had them set it to go straight to the setting without any ramp up time. It is set at 18 and I have no idea if that is high or not.

Matt Meiser
02-19-2012, 10:46 PM
I forgot about the ramp. I too used it at first and later turned it off.