PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend The Best Things - "Where the Connoisseur Shops"?

Sam Murdoch
02-10-2012, 11:45 PM
This is a web site that "might" be a source for vintage and/or new woodworking tools, but the reviews of their company that they offer are 3 years old. Any one on this forum shop from them recently with good results? Thanks for the info.

Sam

John Coloccia
02-11-2012, 1:00 AM
I've ordered from them. They seem fine. It's just a stupid name that gives off the same vibe as Brookstone. I think I ordered my Taylor chisels from them if I remember right.

Roger Myers
02-11-2012, 4:44 AM
Yes... I can recommend them with no hesitation. Solid, dependable source, and the owner is a man of his word.
Bought from them in the past and will do so again.

Roger

Bill Haumann
02-11-2012, 7:08 AM
Yes... I can recommend them with no hesitation. Solid, dependable source, and the owner is a man of his word.
Bought from them in the past and will do so again.

+1
I've bought numerous vintage tools from them, accurate descriptions and pics, have always been pleased.

- Bill

Tony Joyce
02-11-2012, 7:40 AM
I've ordered several times(new tools), always top notch service and competitive prices on some things.

"No affiliation, just a happy customer"

Tony

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2012, 8:30 AM
I have ordered through them several times. Great service and prices.

Brian Kent
02-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Great place. I have used them a number of times with great results. I have just bought new woodworking tools from them.

Sam Murdoch
02-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Thank you all. Just needed to hear that - you don't all work for them do you :D?

David Keller NC
02-12-2012, 8:41 AM
The owner's name is Lee Richmond. He's one of the appraisers on Antiques Roadshow, but he doesn't get much airtime because he exclusively appraises antique tools and instruments, and most folks bring pottery, jewelry and paintings. But that should tell you something about his old tool knowledge - it's encyclopedic. There is probably no person alive that knows more about antique British and American wooden planes.

And Lee is one of a very few in the antiques world (period, whether tools or otherwise) that doesn't try to "upsell" his wares. In fact, he probably hurts his business more than is necessary (necessary to be considered ethical, that is) by describing anything that might be viewed as a fault with the antique tools on his site.

All this said, know that most of his customers, at least for the antique woodworking tools, are collectors. That doesn't mean that Lee doesn't know the distinction between a user and a collector's item, but it helps to send him a note or call him if you're buying something that would normally be considered a collector's item with the intent to use it.

Standard Disclaimer - I've met Lee, but have no business relationship except being a fairly large customer of his antique woodworking tools, woodworking and furniture books, and new woodworking tools over the last 6 or 7 years.

Sam Murdoch
02-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Thank you David - didn't know that and yet I'm a fan of the Antiques Roadshow. I shall purchase from them with confidence :).