PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a new Jointer-G0490 or G0490X?

Jefferey Scott
02-10-2012, 11:04 PM
I'll be going to Grizzly in Springfield in two weeks to pick up a new 8" jointer. I've decided on the G0490 but haven't decided on straight knives or the spiral cutterhead yet. What do you G0490 owners say? Which should I get and why? Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this. Jeff

Jefferey Scott
02-11-2012, 4:49 PM
I'm leaning towards the spiral cutterhead because it's not a lot more money and I've read of certain benefits to them. I am concerned with reading of some folks having them leave lines or scallops in the freshly jointed wood. Anybody experience anything like this before?
-Jeff

James White
02-11-2012, 5:24 PM
Jeff,

I have the Shop Fox version of this jointer. I have switched the knives to a shelix head. No turning back! The only way the scallop pattern would be an issue is if you wanted to try and go from the jointer straight to finish. Without sanding or planing.

James

Mike Metz
02-11-2012, 5:27 PM
i have ad the 490x for about 5 years or so now, awesome tool! still on the original set of cutters (3rd side). smooth cuts flat and true, even on figured wood!

glenn bradley
02-11-2012, 5:37 PM
G0490X here too. Finally rotated the cutters to the second of four sides after almost 2 years. Much cheaper than knives from my experience with knived machines.

Anthony Whitesell
02-11-2012, 5:54 PM
I purchased my G0490 soon after I purchased my G0513X2 bandsaw. I did so because of the while MS Cashback thing. I opted for the G0490 figuring I could change the head myself later if I wanted. Not to mention I just spent $$$ on the bandsaw and things were a smidge tight. Now I wish I had just spluged and eaten PB&Js for a while. If I change the head, what do I do with the old one? (keeping in mind the G0490 plus the cost of the head is more than the G0490X) Plus I have to do all the work. The return on investment of the G0490X over the G0490 depends on how much you use it, how cheap you can find someone to sharpen the blades, and how often you knick them. Appearently I have a high knick rate, making the G0490X much more appealing.

Keep in mind there are three heads, straight blade (G0490), helix (G0490X), and the Byrd Shelix (installable on the G0490) where the carbide cutters are set to strike the board point first.

My two sense says buy the G0490X.

keith micinski
02-11-2012, 6:32 PM
I wouldn't even consider getting a straight knife head if for nothing other then the initial cost up front is going to be offset by the cost of sharpening straight knives over time. Add to that the added benefit of handling figured woods a little better and being quiter to operate and there is really no reason not to get one. Also the scallops, if they do exist which they normally don't if things are setup right, aren't going to be any worse then the lines little nicks in you straight blades leave. I just replaced the knives in my Rigid jointer and I am already having to slide the knives to take care of some small knick marks. By the way as soon as I save enough money up I am also getting a G0490x so I might be a little biased.

Van Huskey
02-11-2012, 10:08 PM
I have yet to see anyone with a spiral head say they would go back, I am sure there are one or two guys but they are very quiet. There are so many benefits and upfront money tends to be the only negative.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2012, 10:18 PM
I have had a G0490X for 18 months. I used it on a oak entertainment center that is sitting on my bench currently. I don't have any sniping, lines etc.

Think about this. With these cutterheads, you can change sides on the cutter or replace the cutter and as long as you don't leave anything under the cutter when you screw it back down, there is no realignment necessary.

I have one of the first model of Ridgid planer that came out. I recently found out there is a kit to change it to spiral cutterhead too. I'll either install the kit or order a new planer with the spiral cutter head.

Stephen Cherry
02-11-2012, 11:06 PM
If you don't have a way to sharpen the knives yourself, it seems like a no brainer.

David Kumm
02-12-2012, 12:23 AM
The key is picking a jointer- as you have- that has table adjustments on all four corners so you can adjust the beds to the cutterhead. The wedgebed types are a greater risk due to adjustment difficulties. Good luck, Dave

Jimmy Smith
02-12-2012, 9:20 AM
Hello, You wil be greatly disappointed with the finish from the straight knives, I bought one and didn't use it thirty minutes before I ordered the byrd shelix head. I've used it on all types of wood, and I don't get any scallops. Jim

Jefferey Scott
02-12-2012, 8:43 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded! The G0490x it is. I'll post some pics of the uncrating and assembly when I get it hopefully next weekend.
-Jeff

Adrian Anguiano
02-16-2012, 2:01 PM
I have a G0490 Straight Blade and its been great to me on hardwoods like Walnut, Maple, Cherry. I havent tried a spiral but at this point I dont need one. Blade changing is a PIA on any straight knife jointer which is my only drawback. But with the oneway gauge and an hour i get it set to the thousandth of degree accuracy.

I say save the money and get yourself a nice japanese waterstone for honing the straight blade.