PDA

View Full Version : My split-top Roubo bench build.

Paul Saffold
02-10-2012, 10:23 PM
WARNING: This post contains graphic descriptions of electrons being put to good use. True neanders proceed at your own discretion.

What actually started this was seeing a 9" Record 52ED vise on craigslist. I posted it in the Deals & Discounts forum but the more I thought about it I decided to see if it was available. A week later it was still there. So I made an offer and got it for $100. It is brand new, still in the box with cosmoline, made in England. That's $50 cheaper than the clones being made now. But, no surprise, it won't fit on my Sjobergs bench. I knew that before I bought it.

I have Chris Schwarz's first workbench book, Bob Lang's article about his split-top bench(Popular Woodworking #171 Oct 2008), the many and great benches fellow creekers have built, and the BenchCrafted web site for inspiration.

I have a bench screw for a leg vise and a pair of bench dogs from LV and the knock-down hardware for the strechers from BenchCrafted.

So after Christmas I started making the rounds to Lowe's and HD for Douglas Fir 4x4s. After 3 Lowe's and 2 HDs I had enough and a couple extra (good thing). I also went to an 84 Lumber and was surprised to see they are now carrying SYP 2x. So 2 trips there for 2x12s for legs, stretchers and a shelf. If I hadn't already bought the DF, I would have used syp for the top, too. I had enough white oak left over from another project to use for the kennel.

While the wood was drying I tuned up tools: replaced the blades in my 6" Bridgewood jointer (another CL score); flipped the blades in my Ryobi lunchbox planer; made 3 sets of cauls from Mike Henderson's great tutorial (now in the FAQ stickey section).

So at this point I have glued up the 2 top sections and installed the Record (end) vise.

I wanted the dog holes to be uniformly spaced to be able to use various appliances anywhere along the dog strip. I made a baseplate from hardboard for my plunge router like a shelf pin jig. I only made the holes 1 inch deep.

I don't have an upcut spiral bit and the straight bit doesn't plunge very easily. I grabbed my largest brace and a #12 bit to finish the holes. On the first hole the flutes on the bit grabbed the oak, lifted and caused a bit of splintering.

So I switched to a spade bit in a corded electric drill, a hammer drill at that. That sure flew through the oak! Later I went back and was able to epoxy the oak back down. Ten minutes with a hairdryer warmed the wood enough so the epoxy flowed in really well.

Thanks Todd for the advice on gluing SYP and a reminder to post. I've gained a tremendous amount from the creek, but like many am reluctant to post myself. So hopefully this will help someone along the way. This is the first leg glue up. It's on the 2 new top sections which are held together with cleats screwed to the bottom and is sitting on my Sjobergs bench. I still need to plane the ends.

This is my planing stop. It can be moved to any location along the dog strip (kennel).

Suggestions always welcome.

To be continued.

shane lyall
02-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Good looking work Paul. I have a stack of Douglas Fir in my shop drying now. I'm getting into the hand tool thing now so my door on saw horses just won't get it done anymore.