PDA

View Full Version : Is this saw worth anything? (not for sale BTW)

shane lyall
02-10-2012, 10:23 PM
I posted about cutting down an old junk saw today. This is another saw I have laying around and may use it to make a better version of my first one...I hope. It is a Disston brand and I have seen several older saws on the bay priced WAY more than this could be worth. I think its a $5 fle market saw. Somebody stop me if it isn't! I'm planning to start working on it in the AM if it's just the cheap BORG saw I think it is but I'm new to hand woodworking and don't want to destroy a $50 saw just to practice.

Paul Saffold
02-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Maybe $5. No more. I picked up one just like that except it was Master Mechanic and the plate was rustier. I saved the back and put in new steel (from Enco dot com) and made my first 2 saw handles. The first handle went in the scrap pile. It's a good way to learn about saw making. I sure have a lot more appreciation for those who make beautiful saws here on the creek.

steven c newman
02-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Handles for two backsaws:22342214" Stanley with handle prototype #2. The second saw handle I have ever done. The first?223423is a direct copy of the plastic handle that USED to be on there. A look at the pair: 223424the 14" is the three bolt one, the 12" is just two bolts. Old barn wood Oak that used to be about 13" wide.

shane lyall
02-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks Paul. I thought it was just a BORG saw but the Disston name on it had me a little scared to hack it up. The one I did today with a rusty old no name came out ok for my first attempt and, now that I cut a few dovetails with it, I know what I want to change with this one.

Tony Shea
02-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Def not worth any more than $5. Should be a good saw for you to practise whatever you want on it. I will warn that you will never get this saw to perform as well as an old Disston back saw as the steel I;m sure is no where near a good. You may find it to be easy to file and therefore will not hold an edge for that long. But either way, it will cut wood when freshly sharpened. Certainly a good saw to practise your sharpening skills on, more importantly get you sharpening your smaller toothed saws. But for a first time sharpener I still would reccomend a larger toothed saw just to help with seeing the tooth geometry a bit better, but maybe you're past this stage.