PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 inch solid Urethane

Pete and Carmen Vaca
02-10-2012, 6:57 PM
What do you all think of cutting 1.5 inch urethane with a 150 watt laser?

Thanks !

Paul Phillips
02-10-2012, 7:12 PM
How about some more information so we can help you better. What type of Urethane? Sponge foam or HDU sign grade material, what density? I've tried 15lb HDU 1/2" thick, with my 2.0" lens and 120watts, and barely got through it at 100p,1s, it left some melted slag and some discoloration on the edge, didn't look too bad though. Not sure what type of lens you have but at 1.5" I would imagine you would get quite a bit of distortion. Personally I don't think you'll be able to get through that much material unless you can do it 3-4 passes and that won't look to good. Bottom line, not recommended. HDU really shines on a CNC machine though.

Pete and Carmen Vaca
02-10-2012, 8:41 PM
Thanks Paul, as soon as I can I will upload a pic and the material description. I am fairly certain it will not go well.. We'll see!

-Pete

Pete and Carmen Vaca
02-11-2012, 2:27 PM
No go! The stuff was like a solid block of glue... Once it heated up it would melt and splatter...

This laser hobby can really deprive you of sleep!

AL Ursich
02-11-2012, 9:36 PM
Think of the cutting beam like two pointed triangles points facing each other. Picture the point of both triangles as the hottest source of burning energy. Now picture cutting 1/8 inch tag stock and it works well as the thickness of the material is close to the points. Not Picture 1.5 inch stock... Put the center or points of the triangle tips in the center of the triangle points. See how thick the beam is 3/4 inches above and below the two points of the triangle... That is how the Beam Cuts.... It is not a Linear Beam like a Star Wars Light Saber, picture it more like a Round FAT Lumber Yard Pencil as the beam and in the lens it makes it into a point like sharpening the pencil.

CNC is the way to go.....

AL