PDA

View Full Version : Quick Release Front Vise Installation

Don L Johnson
02-10-2012, 6:40 PM
I purchased a quick release front vise from Peachtree that is similar to the Woodcraft one with a model #17A11. I've read the Woodcraft install instructions and 'think' I have it almost figured out. It says to be very careful when taking off the quick release nut, as it has to be repositioned perfectly. For anyone that has installed this type of vise, do you have some lessons learned for me or maybe a more descriptive way to explane its installation? In addition, any pictures would help.

I have the vise installed underneath the solid benchtop (2 1/2" thick), with the vise plate flush to the table side. I'm going to install a 4/4 piece of oak around the edge, which will be about 5 - 6" wide, and that will require that I drill the three holes to match up with the screw and two guide rods. As noted above, when I take the the vise apart, how did you mark the quick release nut so as to properly re-install it? Also, how far below the screw and guide rods would you recommend the edge facing (and vice face) be installed? Thanks for any help.

Van Huskey
02-10-2012, 7:18 PM
Although you may get your answer here, you will probably get more answers in the Neanderthal forum, many of the hand tool guys never visit over here.

Tom Davis
02-11-2012, 7:37 AM
Don:

I installed a simialr vise recently and I think the caution relates to the "orientation" of the long quick release "nut" shown below. I did not pay attention to its correct positioniong when I took the vise apart to install it and had to experiment with it to get it to operate correctly. I recently took it apart to make an adjsutment to accomdate a bench dog hole and marked the frame edge and a nut edge with a file to make it "Tom Proof" on reinstallation.