PDA

View Full Version : Scary sharp with WD 40?

Bob Glenn
02-10-2012, 5:58 PM
It's been too cold to work out in the shop, so I brought all my planes and chisels inside along with my Tormek grinder, glass panel and collection of wet/dry sandpaper. I've always worked the irons on the sandpaper dry, however, I've read to use WD 40, so I gave it a try. I didn't see any real difference, it just made a bigger mess. Is there any reason for using the WD 40? The only thing I can think, is it may extend the life of the paper. Any thoughts?

Also, since I only have access to 1500 grit paper, I decided to strop using the diamond paste that came with the Tormek. Not having any leather or MDF handy, I just flipped over a piece of 1500 grit and used the back of the paper and loaded it with the paste. Seemed to work pretty well and the paper side lasted longer than I thought it would.

Interested in your thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

Joshua Byrd
02-10-2012, 7:48 PM
I use it or baby oil. Helps to keep the paper from clogging up with particles. Using paper dry really seems to reduce the effectiveness of it. Plus, the blades slide a lot better when lubed.

Greg Wease
02-10-2012, 8:07 PM
When I use scary sharp I use it dry. I agree that a lubricant can help it cut quicker but I don't like the mess. Keep the surface of the abrasive clean with a brush.