PDA

View Full Version : Ya'll started it!

shane lyall
02-10-2012, 5:15 PM
I have been looking to do more handtool work. I ordered a Lie-Neilson saw but thought I'd see what I could do with this plastic handle rusty turd I had hanging on the wall. It went from this 223372
To this in about three hours. 223374 I took tons of pics along the way. The tote is an old piece of walnut i had laying around. It had one coat of BLO on it in the pics. The plate is cut down to 8 inches and I ground all the teeth of and started fresh. I used my little card scraper jig to joint it dead flat then a triangle file to hand cut teeth. I shot for about 10 PPI and got close.

I know my DT's aren't up to par with most of yours here. I'm kinda ashamed to post them here BUT ya'll started me down "yhe slope" so you're just gona have to put up with me! The ones in the pic are the first set I've ever cut by hand. I have a Diston brand backsaw that may be my next saw. I think I'll try a smaller tote and 10 inch blade next.

I took enough pics to do a build thread and I'll try to upload tonight.

shane lyall
02-10-2012, 5:55 PM
Heres a few more of the "build" for lack of a bettr word.
This is just a file in a saw kerf. I use it to joint card scrapers but it worked great jointing this saw223390Rough out tote223391One coat BLO223392My saw sharpening vice. I'll have plans for this on the bay for $100! Its 2 2x clamped together and worked well.223393
Roughing out the tote223395

Bob Jones
02-10-2012, 6:57 PM
Looks good to me. Nice work.

steven c newman
02-10-2012, 7:39 PM
Maybe take a look at the one I made for two of my Backsaws? I replaced both plastic handles with some Old Oak for some old rafters i had. My hands feel better now...

Jim Koepke
02-14-2012, 6:38 PM
Interesting handle treatment.

Be careful, making your own tools can be habit forming.

jtk