PDA

View Full Version : Ideas wanted

Lee Alkureishi
02-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Hi all,

I've recently managed to acquire some really interesting pieces of red oak from my local arborist, and was hoping to poll ideas from folks about what to make from them! There are some large and small pieces, some of which are wormhole-ridden, some are spalted, and some are completely solid. The largest piece is a red oak trunk, which has a concrete pillar running up the centre of it (a firstaid measure by an arborist 80 years ago!) - so, I can't cut transverse slices e.g. for a table top, but I can cut longitudinally to get boards or chunks.

I like to turn, so I'm thinking some of the smaller pieces will end up as pens, bowls, etc. It's pretty punky in areas, though!

Interested to see what people suggest - especially for the bottom (open) part of the trunk; it looks like it could be spectacular!

Thanks,

Lee

Lee Alkureishi
02-11-2012, 5:30 PM
196 views and no replies?

Boo!

Paul Symchych
02-11-2012, 6:45 PM
Back when I lived in New England stuff like that was called firewood.

William Nimmo
02-11-2012, 8:26 PM
Firewood for sure

Dan Hahr
02-11-2012, 9:01 PM
There is no way in, well anywhere, that I would bring that stuff in my house or shop. Not even for firewood. No offense, but although you could possibly find some part of those logs that could be made into something, there is no way that it would be worth the effort. If you want some interesting red oak wood for pens, I'd be happy to fill a flat rate box with some scraps if you want to foot the shipping.

Seriously, I'd never consider contaminating my other wood or home with the creatures that are living in that log.
Dan

Lee Alkureishi
02-12-2012, 9:59 AM
Well, that's a little disappointing. I've seen some beautiful pieces made from spalted/wormy wood...

Lee

Terry Beadle
02-12-2012, 11:38 AM
If you have a wood lathe: Make some bowls or turned boxes.
If you have a band saw: Make some bandsawn boxes or slice it into flat stock and make what you will.

If you don't have either of the above, hand saws, or drill presses can be used. Chisels, scorps, etc. ( add lots of sweat )

If you don't have any of the above, fire wood does come to mind with a good cup of hot chocolate and a bit of toasted home made bread dripping with a bit of butter and cinnamon is prescribed.... ;-)

You have to get into the wood with some tools or plan to see what the grain may hide. It does look promising though.

Good luck, and keep us posted !

Dan Hahr
02-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Well, that's a little disappointing. I've seen some beautiful pieces made from spalted/wormy wood...

Lee

There's a big difference between spalted and rotten. Also, red oak doesn't spalt well. It's not that there can't be anything useful in that, it is just that that is a lot of better stuff out there to be looking at. If the local arborist actually makes a living doing that, he should be able to come up with much better stuff than that...
Dan

Lee Alkureishi
02-14-2012, 12:08 PM
hi,

That's good info Dan, thanks.