PDA

View Full Version : Chuck for a Shopsmith

Dave Lehnert
02-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I keep putting off buying a chuck for my Shopsmith because I just don't understand a chuck enough to buy one. I read about "Barracuda, Barracuda 2, Barracuda 3 mini, Barracuda 4 lathe chucks, 4 jaw chucks, 3 jaw chucks, midi chucks, micro chucks" I get so confused. I am not a beginner at a lathe but never have used a chuck. Shopsmith sells the Oneway chuck but was hoping to save a little money. Penn state? Grizzly?
What size do I need for a Shopsmith, a Midi chuck? Like I said, I don't know enough to even ask for advice.
I do know about the tightening levers vs a single key. I would be Ok with tightening levers.

Bill Bolen
02-10-2012, 12:49 AM
I started out turning on my '81 model Shopsmith. I bought the nova midi chuck (the one with tommy bars). I got the standard 1"X8 chuck and bought an adapter that fit the shopsmith 1/2" spindle and the other end had the threaded 1"x8 to mount the chuck. That chuck worked just fine for everything i needed it to do. If you need a link for the adapter just pm me and I'll dig through my bookmarks and send it on. I don't think I would go any larger than the nova g3 chuck on the shopsmith. The bearings in the spindle just don't give a lot of lateral support.

Russell Neyman
02-10-2012, 7:58 AM
I happen to have a Nova/Shopsmith adapter I don't need. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Check e-bay, there's a guy that sells the Nova G3 for 125 bucks last time I checked. He sends it with the adapter of your choice. He may have a SS adapter. Or you can get the 1x8 thread insert and a 1x8 - SS adapter as mentioned. That's what I did. That way the chuck can be used on other lathes.