PDA

View Full Version : A segmented pen

John Terefenko
02-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Being I have finally been able to get back into the shop I have undertaken quite a few new pen ideas or at least trying to expand on others I have done in the past. This is another first for me in this style. It is a segmented Holly and Gabon blackwood blank on a Roman Harvest kit. It has been finished with 8 coats of med CA. Polished and a coat of wax applied. I have learned a few things along the way. I have another in the process which is maple and bloodwood and it too is has been quicker to make but still learning. I will be willing to explain anything or answer any questions. Thanks for looking and any comments are welcomed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0846.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0881.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0892.jpg

Fred Belknap
02-09-2012, 10:31 PM
John that sure is a fine looking pen. Top drawer

Kathy Marshall
02-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Very nice pen! Nice job on the segmenting too!

Doug W Swanson
02-09-2012, 11:15 PM
The first picture really explains a lot. Great looking pen! The fit and finish you achieve are always top notch, too!

John Terefenko
02-09-2012, 11:36 PM
The first picture really explains a lot. Great looking pen! The fit and finish you achieve are always top notch, too!

Thanks Doug. That is why I included it. Should give people the clue as to how I did this one. My router jig that I made from John Lucas instructions is working out very well. Have more ideas planned.

Steve Campbell
02-10-2012, 1:47 AM
John your pens are top notch as usual. I have done a few segmented pens and I sure can appreciate the work that went into this one. Great work as always.

Steve

Rob Price
02-10-2012, 3:41 AM
Great looking pen.

Greg Just
02-10-2012, 6:47 AM
very nice pen. Did you cut the small rings on the lathe? Thanks for sharing.

John Terefenko
02-10-2012, 7:54 AM
very nice pen. Did you cut the small rings on the lathe? Thanks for sharing.

No they were cut on my tablesaw. Thanks all for the kind words. Hope to get the maple and bloodwood done today or tomorrow. Will post. I see an issue with it though and maybe it will turn off or maybe I will need to fix.

Carl Civitella
02-10-2012, 8:22 AM
Great job, out standing. The pen kit, imho has a lot going on with it to go along with the blank, but thats just me. Nice work.. Carl

Steve Trauthwein
02-10-2012, 8:23 AM
Hi John,

Great looking pen. I would like to get a look at the router jig in action if possible.

Regards, Steve

Dan Hintz
02-10-2012, 9:07 AM
The first picture really explains a lot.
Agreed... with the first pic and a pic of the finished pen, I doubt many would not be able to (at least attempt to) recreate that beauty.

Nicely done!

Robert McGowen
02-10-2012, 9:21 AM
That is very nice work. Thanks for the photos.

Baxter Smith
02-10-2012, 9:30 AM
Classy pen with some great pictures as well. Especially that first one!

John Terefenko
02-10-2012, 9:55 AM
Hi John,

Great looking pen. I would like to get a look at the router jig in action if possible.

Regards, Steve

Steve not much of an action shot but this should explain all there is to know. The jig is a design taken from John Lucas who printed his ina turners magazine some time ago. The router is used in conjunction with an indexing wheel and the lathe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0818.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0820.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0842.jpg

Jim Burr
02-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Over the top John!!! If I only had a tablesaw :(

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2012, 12:19 PM
John that is a beauty. Very elegant.

Mark Levitski
02-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Very nice! Wow, we've seen a segmented pen, hmmm.....does this mean that will we be seeing a natural edge pen? :)

Harvey Ghesser
02-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Very beautiful, indeed...

John Terefenko
02-10-2012, 2:19 PM
Very nice! Wow, we've seen a segmented pen, hmmm.....does this mean that will we be seeing a natural edge pen? :)

Mark believe or not I do make them too. Sort of. It is too bad I do not have any or at least a photo. But I make bullet pens and use antler as a top barrel and sometimes I leave the piece natural and sometimes I spin it down to match the kit. It all depends on the customer. I may have an older photo. Will check. All I have is a photo of one with the antler material spun down. Some people like the real look of a piece of antler on there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0237.jpg

Harry Robinette
02-10-2012, 2:47 PM
That is the perfect pen kit to do the segmented work on it's BEAUTIFUL. The pictures are great you can see every little thing (thats all done perfectly) in these pictures. Can't wait to see the other one.

Mark Hubl
02-10-2012, 3:50 PM
Another JT beauty. I really like this one. Thanks for the wip pics, the woodworker in me always enjoys these along with the finished product.

Roger Chandler
02-10-2012, 3:56 PM
That first pen is true artistry............WOW, what workmanship!

Ian Parish
02-10-2012, 4:51 PM
John,

I will say it again that pen is fantastic, and now you have given away the secret to making it. Too elegant, using a router to notch it. I was thinking it was pieces like a staved vessel which would be very tricky. Using the router is just plain and simple cool.

Well done,

Ian

James Combs
02-10-2012, 4:59 PM
John that's a great looking pen and some great tutorial pics.

BTW if you can't find the "natural edge" antler pen for Mark, I can flip one of mine up for you to show him what one looks like. ;-)

Mark Levitski
02-10-2012, 4:59 PM
Mark believe or not I do make them too.

How did I know you might come back with that one! Nice work; would like to see any NE-esque pens you've made for sure.

I grew up and spent most of my life in Sussex County, NJ. Was not into woodworking then, only sled dogs, and still have that addiction (another sort of vortex).

Steve Trauthwein
02-10-2012, 6:33 PM
Thanks John,

That does give all of the necessary information.

Regards, Steve

John Terefenko
02-10-2012, 9:33 PM
John that's a great looking pen and some great tutorial pics.

BTW if you can't find the "natural edge" antler pen for Mark, I can flip one of mine up for you to show him what one looks like. ;-)

James I do mot mind at all. I am sure all of us that do these cartridge pens and use antler have done the o-natural look. Basically all the same depending on the antler material and the shapes. I was not into photos so much back then. Go right ahead and post one to show that yes we can leave the bark on.

James Combs
02-11-2012, 9:58 AM
James I do mot mind at all. I am sure all of us that do these cartridge pens and use antler have done the o-natural look. Basically all the same depending on the antler material and the shapes. I was not into photos so much back then. Go right ahead and post one to show that yes we can leave the bark on.

Done! Here are a couple with varying degrees of "bark".;) For those interested we can go all the way up to no turning at all depending on the size of the antler blank.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
02-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Great segmented pen John!

And James, neat idea of cartridge bottom and cigar top!

Mike Cruz
02-11-2012, 11:02 PM
John, I was just thinking about making a segmented blank yesterday. Just found your thread today. This one is a bit more involved than what I had envisioned, but you've given me some ideas to make mine a bit more interesting. Thanks for posting this. That is one outstanding pen!

Billy Tallant
02-11-2012, 11:44 PM
John,
That is an outstanding looking pen. Craftmanship is superb. That first pic really helps out understanding the process.

John Terefenko
02-12-2012, 12:38 AM
I just wanted to thank all for looking and all the great comments. Hopefully I will have the other one I have been working on, bloodwood and maple, done early next week. I will post. Yes I thought when most seen the first photo they can figure out how this was achieved. Of course there are alot of tidbits that are too numerous to mention but you guys get the picture and hopefully we can see some. I am also working on a pen with scallops in it. It will again be my first on that too but I have other ideas with it if I get the steps right. I want to marry the 2 styles or designs later on. A little ambitious but what the heck. Stay tuned.

James Roberts
02-12-2012, 10:24 PM
That is SWEET!. Beautiful fit and finish. Thanks for the before and after pics, some of us wonder how magicians do their tricks.