PDA

View Full Version : Hand tool cabinet-very long, lotsa pix

Tony Sade
03-19-2005, 10:18 AM
I’ve recently started adding to a small collection of hand tools, and as you can see, things have grown a bit. I haven’t been sliding down the slope nearly as fast and furiously as our friend from Arkansas who’s become hooked faster that a crack addict-and probably is spending an equivalent amount of cash ;>). I flat ran out of room to put all this stuff and decided it was time to build a tool cabinet. Over the Christmas vacation, I built a small storage shed so I could get the gardening implements out of the shop and assert my dominion once and for all over the garage (at least the part my wife lets me have). That left the wall you see, to which will be added another storage/shelf unit for other things-sanders, routers, drills and drivers, sanding supplies, adhesives, and other stuff that’s jammed about everywhere in my one garage bay shop. And maybe a saw till in between.

I looked around on this and other forums for ideas and I guess the one that seemed to make sense to me was the Chris Becksvoort hanging cabinet. I really liked the one Chris Schwarz did that’s shown on the cover of a recent PW magazine, but I wasn’t aiming for, and didn’t want to spend the time building, anything that handsome. Here’s what I came up with. (A very poor man’s, or at least a very poor woodworker’s, Becksvoort, if you will.)

It ain’t fine furniture by any means. Back and dividers are masonite; there are far too many brads used “to hold things together until the glue dried” and hidden badly with the wrong color crayon; and I’m not sure I’ve successfully covered up all my other screw ups. I wanted to do this with leftover stock and scrap I already had in the shop and was successful, other than buying a sheet of crappy birch ply from the borg. (That stuff was an adventure in itself. I sanded through the incredibly thin face veneer and hit, of all things, a pocket of ink. I noticed some blue color on the wood while I was sanding, saw it had transferred onto the sanding pad, and befuddledly kept on going. Soon there was more ink on the ply and the pad, and I noticed a void that turned out to be full of wet ink. How weird. Dried it out with a q-tip and plugged it with a filler/crayon.)

The doors are some cherry from a very small batch that I had picked up locally for next to nothing and which I thought was worth about what I paid, with birch frames. The cherry turned out to be fine and even has some very nice figure (quilting?) here and there which may not show up in the pix. I was going to do full raised panel doors-rails and stiles and the whole bit, and then add to 1x stock to create the depth necessary for the hanging stuff when I saw a post by C. Schwarz on WC suggesting that inserting a raised panel into grooves in plain stock turned on edge would be much easier. I used box joints-an excuse to build the micro-adjustable ShopNotes jig I’d been planning to make-reinforced with 3/16” brass rod through the joints to add strength. The doors are hung with double piano hinges (from Rockler) that I saw Norm use on his cabinet. The only difficulty with the doors was gluing them up after I had already stained the birch frames, since I didn’t want to change the color of the cherry. I added the rounded cherry strip to the left door to cover up the gap left when the doors turned out to be too narrow. (Measure once, cut twice? Huh?) I made the cutouts on the ends to leave the brass accents at the joints visible. The drawers are machine dovetailed poplar (I recognize the irony), with masonite bottoms, faced with scrap QSWO that has very little figure or fleck.

I’m still having nightmares that this thing is going to come crashing down (ergo the tip protectors on the lower row of chisels-‘specially the good ones!) I had to draft my teenager to help me hang it on the French cleat I lagged into the studs-thing must weigh 60-70 pounds empty. I added another cleat along the bottom of the cabinet for additional support. At first I thought I had made it way too big. As you can see, I’m about out of room. A hanging tool wall (a la Dave Anderson) is beginning to make more sense, quite frankly. Guess I’ll have to toss a couple of those #4s.

Finish on the ply and birch is Minwax provincial (can you tell I forgot the pre-stain condition on the now blotchy door frames?) and the whole thing is topped with homemade wipe on poly. The doors were (quickly) rubbed out with some paste wax and grey scotchbrite®.

Of course, the pictures also show some of the goodies I’ve acquired of late. Consider this a collective gloat on those scores. Thanks for looking.

Tony Sade
03-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Sorry if I've overdone this thread.

Mark Singer
03-19-2005, 10:36 AM
Tony,
That is a great cabinet! Terrific tools many of which I have also....good choices....When I finish all my home and office furniture building I will enjoy making a similar one...It looks very practicle and beautiful.

Frank Pellow
03-19-2005, 10:41 AM
(A very poor man’s, or at least a very poor woodworker’s, Becksvoort, if you will.)

I, for one, won't. That is a very nice looking cabinet, and just as important, it is a very functional cabinet. Well done!

Roy Wall
03-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Tony,

You haven't "overdone the thread" at all-- its a great post with great descriptions and pics!! Tyler is proud --I'm sure!!

Anyway, your cabinet looks very nice - well done:) You have a great collection of hand tools and should be commended for your effort. I like how you stored the mallets, grouped the chisels, and "broken up" the plane area. Lots of efficiency and a nice layout to the eye.

Excellent- thank you for sharing!!

Dick Parr
03-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Wow, great looking cabinet Tony. Lots of time and detail went into that. Very nice.

Kent Parker
03-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Yowza ! Beautiful box Tony. I'm amazed at all the shiney tools :eek: .

Being a boat builder most of my tools have at one time or another gotten wet from working outside in the rain. I've got my share of clean tools but for this type of presentation I'd be polishing up for days. Looks great

Nice job!!

KP

Dave Anderson NH
03-20-2005, 6:59 AM
Great job Tony. Don't you feel better now that you have things a bit organized and more importantly, protected. Now comes the hard part..... disciplining yourself to put things back in the cabinet when you're through with them.:D

Mike Cutler
03-20-2005, 7:15 AM
Tony. It may not be "fine furniture" but it's definitely a fine looking handtool cabinet. It looks very practical and well laid out. Nice job all around. ;)

Tyler Howell
03-20-2005, 8:19 AM
Haven't heard from you in a while and now we know why. You have been very busy and it looks like every minute was worth the effort. Very nice till Tony.

Well done.

Terry Hatfield
03-20-2005, 8:46 AM
Tony,

Fantastic job!!!!!!! I really, really like the cabinet. I plan to do something similar one of these days and I'll be borrowing some ideas for sure. Thanks for posting. Not overdone at all. I really enjoyed seeing the pics!!!

t

John Weber
03-20-2005, 9:00 AM
Tony,

Wonderful cabinet, very well done.

John

P.S. Very nice set of tools as well...

Jim Young
03-20-2005, 9:50 AM
Wow, that's nice. You sure have a lot of chissels. My next project is the hand tool cabinet. Great timing on the cabinet pics.

Tony Sade
03-20-2005, 9:17 PM
Thanks for all the kind words folks. My wife wants to know if I'm ever going to make anything for the house again. Best get busy. ;)

Mike Holbrook
03-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Very nice Tony!

I got the electrical hooked up on my daughters new play room and I am about to call it done, maybe my wife will give me a little time with my meager collection of hand tools to work on one of those now.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-21-2005, 9:11 AM
Excellent Tony! Great craftsmanship, design and materials use! Thanks for posting!

David Fried
03-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Picture 1 - Very nice - looks great!
Picture 2 - SPRONG!!! Amazing how much fits inside and looks well planned.

Greats pics - no, you can't post too many! Thanks.

Bruce Page
03-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Beautiful cabinate Tony! I’m going to make one of those if my collection of planes & chiseles ever gets big enough. (I saved your post just in case ;) )

Eric Coyle
04-02-2005, 3:23 AM
Nice cabinet Tony.

Don't blame you bout being concerned about it coming crashing down. Lotsa weight there. Lotsa pricey tools too. Would a cuppla extra screws give you more piece of mind?

Eric
in Calgary

Mike Holbrook
04-02-2005, 10:07 AM
I hung some kitchen cabinets not long ago. The wall was sheet rock as yours appears to be. My studs did not turn out to be in the best positions so I used a few E-Z Ancor's, available at the Depot. I started using E-Z Ancors quite a few years ago and have had very good results with them. They are like very wide screws with very wide threads, "self-drilling drywall anchors". You simply screw the big lug into the sheet rock and then run a normal screw, provided, threw the cabinet etc. into the lug. They are rated to hold up to 50 lbs each, screwed into sheet rock without a stud. A few E-Z Ancors, placed anywhere you like should make that cabinet very secure.

E-Z Ancors actually come in a lighter and even heavier version but I find the ones rated to 50 lbs. the easiest to use. I have used many boxes of these over the years and have never had one come out of a wall.

Doug Cowan
04-02-2005, 12:52 PM
I think it looks great, and I'll bet you feel like a kid on Christmas morning everytime you open it! Add me to the list of those filing it away for future reference.

Louis Bois
04-03-2005, 8:51 PM
(A very poor man’s, or at least a very poor woodworker’s, Becksvoort, if you will.)

Are you serious?!? A poor woodworker?!? Surely you must be a prince among paupers!!! Just look at those new LN chisels? LV shoulder planes? LN assorted planes? dovetail saws?!? SHEESH! I give up...:eek::D

...anyone want to buy a slightly used type 5 #8?!?:rolleyes:

Kidding aside, you've done a great job of organizing a potential nightmare...but as I gaze through my crystal ball, I forsee a duplicate cabinet...hung next to this one...made with different scraps from your shop...is that walnut?!? or maple?!?:eek:

Dan Forman
04-04-2005, 4:22 AM
Tony---A very nice blend of form and function. I like the fact that it is made from bits of this and bits of that. And you have an enviable collection of hand tools to populate it as well.

Dan

Tony Sade
04-04-2005, 6:10 AM
Wow-A whole new round of compliments-thanks, guys. I do find my self heading out to the shop occasionally to open the doors and gaze lovingly at my small family.

Kidding aside, you've done a great job of organizing a potential nightmare...but as I gaze through my crystal ball, I forsee a duplicate cabinet...hung next to this one...made with different scraps from your shop...is that walnut?!? or maple?!?:eek:
Well, Louis, I am working on the non-hand tool companion for this cabinet--small power tools, sanding stuff, adhesives, etc.-- but I've pretty much run out of decent looking scraps. This brute-it's about a foot taller and will need to be lagged into the studs at about 150 spots, is likely to be entirely from borg ply. I may be able to find some cut-offs from the cherry for a couple of drawer fronts, though.

Thanks again.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-04-2005, 8:36 AM
Tony, wait a little while to build your second cabinet. One of the most unique things about the cabinet that you have built is that it has bits of a lot of other projects that you have done. If you wait a while to build the next one, it too will have the soul of many projects in it.