PDA

View Full Version : MinWax Express Color

Mike Willeson
02-09-2012, 2:41 PM
I have been interested in trying some color on a few turnings. I know lots of people use tints and dyes, but I am wondering if anyone has used Min Wax Express Color finishes?

I have a couple of questions:
a) If you have used it, how do you like it?
b) Can I use a water based finish like this over dewaxed Shellac?
c) Can I spray lacquer over a water based finish like this?

John Keeton
02-09-2012, 5:00 PM
Mike, first, please consider that dye and stain are two entirely different products. The MinWax Express Color is a water based stain/finish, meaning it colors by pigments that are bonded to the surface with a carrier, and in this case probably acrylic pigments along with a water based acrylic finish. It is compatible with water based top finishes only according to their product information.

With stains, the pigment tends to remain on the surface of the wood and lodge in the pores, while dyes penetrate deeply and color the wood from within. The look will be considerably different as well. Stain will have a dull, muted effect on the wood, and will produce a "flat" appearance without depth. Dye, on the other hand, can produce brilliant color and enhance the depth and chatoyance of figured wood.

I would encourage you to avoid stain on turnings. It is intended for flat work, floors, trim, etc. Most all of the coloration you will see in art will be accomplished with dyes.

Mike Willeson
02-09-2012, 8:29 PM
Thanks John. I appreciate the info.

I'd be willing to hear advice on getting started with dyes. What to use, technique, etc. No fancy project planned, maybe a simple bowl or cup to experiement with and learn.

John Keeton
02-10-2012, 6:06 AM
Mike, you might want to start with the tutorial here (http://www.joewoodworker.com/transtints.htm). It is for Transtint dyes, which are very popular and lightfast. Bob Bergstrom has been producing some beautiful dyed bowls, and I would suggest you go to his profile and view the threads he has started.

Most folks prefer the alcohol based dyes, but water based dyes can also produce some beautiful results. Jacquard Procion MX dyes are reactive dyes and can produce brilliant colors.

Good luck with it all!

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Mike I agree with what John has said. I use transtint and mix it with Denatured alcohol. I tried mixing with water but raises the grain and has to be sanded. There are lots of things you can do with it for sure.