PDA

View Full Version : wild & crazy chair

Michelle Rich
02-09-2012, 12:19 PM
people have a strong reaction to this chair. They love it, they hate it, they are amused by it. but no one ignores it, when they see it in person. Always gets a comment. i grin at it alot! it amuses me!
Rock maple, 2 colors of milk paint & rush seat. I made this for a client who saw the one in my house & had to have one. she is happy. I'm tired of making them! :-) I hope to never have to make another. the precision needed is beyond anything I want to do in my retirement!:D

Steve Vaughan
02-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Well, I love it and was just thinking I might ask you to make me...uh, no, I'm not gonna ask that! Very cool chair and I can see why you might not ever want to make another one. Lots of detail there for sure. Did you do the caning yourself too?

Doug W Swanson
02-09-2012, 12:51 PM
I don't know why people could dislike this chair. It's beautiful!

Jim Burr
02-09-2012, 1:03 PM
I don't blame you for wanting to retire!

Harvey Ghesser
02-09-2012, 1:06 PM
Avery beautifully turned chair for sure, Michelle.

Roger Chandler
02-09-2012, 2:25 PM
Super nice work Michelle.............to bad the world has to loose such an artisan to retirement..............but we all must scale back as we age...............may your retirement bring you lots of happiness and fulfillment!

Michelle Rich
02-09-2012, 2:34 PM
Hi Steve: yes I did the seat. I much prefer to use shaker tape, because of all the colors one can choose & it's 5/8 to an inch wide..covers much faster. But this chair design comes from an era of rush seats , so this is what it got. thanks for commenting

John Keeton
02-09-2012, 7:29 PM
Michelle, I like it! Particularly, the spooling on the top of the front legs. Well done!

Steve Campbell
02-09-2012, 7:51 PM
Super chair Michelle. I love it. I find it hard to believe anyone would hate it. If you really don't want to make any more of them, you should be very careful who you show it to....

Steve

PS You got me started on making a few toy cars for the battered womens shelter. Pictures to follow...

David E Keller
02-09-2012, 8:39 PM
I love it! Lots of great turned elements, but the total package is just too cool!

David DeCristoforo
02-09-2012, 8:45 PM
I posted elsewhere that while I really like your "artsy" turnings, the chairs you make are among the best examples I have seen and are, hands down, my favorite "Michelle Rich" work. I would love to sit in that chair...

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2012, 8:51 PM
How could you not like this? I love it. Very well done.

charlie knighton
02-09-2012, 8:53 PM
i have a chair my grandfather i never met made, it is cherished with its deer hide seat, but your chair is much more of an art piece, very nice

Kathy Marshall
02-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Beautiful chair Michelle! I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like it.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Michelle,
Even though I agree with you and everyone else, the chair is a beauty, I understand your desire to make less demanding treasures. Chairs not only have to look good, they have to be comfortable and stand the test of time. Making joints that won't loosen over the years must be tedious. And, doing several of them probably gets no easier. I do believe, whoever owns one is very lucky.
faust

philip labre
02-10-2012, 7:15 AM
I love your chairs, Michelle!!! They just beg to be sat in.

Bill Bulloch
02-10-2012, 8:45 AM
Michelle you da man, I wish I could do that. You could probably make a living with those -- Sam Maloof did. I can turn one good spindle, it's that second one always gives me trouble.

Michelle Rich
02-10-2012, 9:01 AM
I did make my living for 25 yrs making chairs!!! LOL the bowls & such just made the gallery look pretty & gave it color!

Brian McInturff
02-10-2012, 9:19 AM
So where do I put my order in for a couple of these:). Beautiful chairs for sure!!

Baxter Smith
02-10-2012, 9:24 AM
Love all your chairs Michele though this one is a little ornate;):) for my tastes!

David DeCristoforo
02-10-2012, 12:52 PM
"Making joints that won't loosen..."

My oldest son is the world's best chair joint tester. He is a compulsive leaner. And not only does he lean, he likes to twist around while the chair is tipped back on it's hind legs. If a chair can survive a year of his use, the design can be considered a success at least in terms of it's long term structural integrity.